WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wine take-out from restaurant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine take-out from restaurant
 Login/Join 
posted
Let say when you are on a trip and see something hard to find or already off-market, but you want to buy a few bottles and take it home instead of popping it on site. Anyone has experience with this ? Is there a right-way to approach the restaurant ?

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1438 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While in Palm Springs a couple of years ago, we dined at a place that had all their wines at half price (on Tuesdays during low season). I ordered a bottle of Opus One (which I hadn't seen here in Vancouver). It was really good, so I asked the waiter if I could buy a few more bottles to go. He said we are happy to take your money. I scored the wine at a price that was pretty much the community average.

If you are thinking about buying a few bottles, talk to the manager and see if he or she will give you a deal. Times are tough and they might well be glad to turn over some inventory. The only caution I would consider is how has the wine been kept. Few restaurants in Vancouver have really good climate controlled cellars.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Nov 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couPle of years back I was having dinner in San Francisco and spotted some bottles of SNQ at a fair price (slightly above release price) I asked the waiter if the price was correct which he confirmed. The next day I went back and asked the manager if I could buy a few bottles which was not a problem.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around 7 years ago in San Diego I came across 2003 Lafite on a list for $280 and inquired about buying a bottle or two and taking with me. I was told that legally they had to pop the cork before I left(!). Elsewhere in California, I would write a personal check to the restaurant owner for bottles that were cheaper than I can get retail but we were acquaintences.

Posts: 2395 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Las Vegas a few years ago one place had a SQN on the list that was above release price(slightly) but 1/2 of retail. I asked the manager if I could buy it and take home and he said he didn't know if he could do it(legally), but I had the VP of hotel operations (who I knew)call to give the OK. Still haven't opened it.

Posts: 27 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
happens at a few restaurants i've been to where the price was good

but typically, the restaurant will tell me "we have those wines there to attract clients like you and unfortunately if you were to buy them all, we'd be stuck with the other overpriced stuff that wine lovers won't necessarily enjoy, so unfortunately we would request you order and enjoy it here with our food, but feel free to come back anytime and order it"

i feel that's fair to the restaurant, so i go back

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12025 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StanS:
In Las Vegas a few years ago one place had a SQN on the list that was above release price(slightly) but 1/2 of retail. I asked the manager if I could buy it and take home and he said he didn't know if he could do it(legally), but I had the VP of hotel operations (who I knew)call to give the OK. Still haven't opened it.

Vegas and good wine prices are a rarity in my experience! Good for you!

Gman beat me to it...a few places Ive been to have pretty much said the same thing. They have however, put on aside for me for when I do return which I thought was a nice touch.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2740 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember a few years ago seeing Dominus for $80 at a restaurant. We didn't have time to order a bottle but I inquired about taking one to go. The waitress didn't know and finally brought the manager/wine director only for her to tell me they were sold out. She seemed to suggest that it wouldn't be against the rules.

Posts: 135 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: Apr 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a wine-centric restaurant in Woodinville that holds an annual "yard sale" for overstock, or wines that just aren't turning over fast enough. Nothing major, but I've bought some decent bottles there.

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6786 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
There is a wine-centric restaurant in Woodinville that holds an annual "yard sale" for overstock, or wines that just aren't turning over fast enough. Nothing major, but I've bought some decent bottles there.

Which place is that?

Posts: 1113 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Resturants here do not have a license for retail liquor sales. thus buy a bottle, take a sip, and then take the remainder home. No full unopened bottles

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6320 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a bottle of Dunn HM from a restaurant in Ohio and a Shafer HSS from one in Missouri. Just ask.

Posts: 10067 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently, at a steakhouse in Keystone Colorado, all Bordeaux over $100 were half price. Buy what you want and take it with you. A few first growths in the low $200s, LLC ~$100, I believe it was 2000-2004 vintages. A bunch of other nice deals. Grabbed a couple of bottles to take back home. Significantly cheaper than LCBO's futures program....back in 2005. But that shouldn't be a shocker.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a resturant that had marked 12 bottles of Reisling real low. Less tahn retail. I asked if I could buy them and take home, was told no. I did however buy the entire stock, and drank them over a period of time at the restuarnt. They marked them as mine. Was told that since it was on the wine list at that price they were abligated to sell them at that price.

Next issue of wine list showed them to be $ 15 more.

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6320 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will depend on where you are. In some states or counties it is illegal for a restaurant to sell a bottle of wine without opening it in the restaurant. In others, no problem. If it is legal, I don't see why a restaurant would have a problem with selling a bottle or two to a customer.

When in doubt, open another bottle.

Posts: 2614 | Location: Silver Spring MD (Near DC) | Registered: Nov 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dinwiddie:
It will depend on where you are. In some states or counties it is illegal for a restaurant to sell a bottle of wine without opening it in the restaurant. In others, no problem. If it is legal, I don't see why a restaurant would have a problem with selling a bottle or two to a customer.

the restaurant should probably understand their inventory better.

A below price bottle of wine should be like a doorbuster sale, you keep them around to attract other customers. "did you hear about this place with this 1st growth for 200$" or that particular customer to keep coming back and ordering more food just because they can order that bottle and enjoy it below cost.

much like what ed did. He knew it was underpriced, bought all of the bottles and frequently returns to the restaurant to enjoy the rest of his bottles.

If the customer walks out with the bottles, the customer has that one less incentive to return.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12025 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcamp:
Recently, at a steakhouse in Keystone Colorado, ....

Which restaurant?

Sitting around with nothing to do is great until you have to do it. - Dave's daughter

Posts: 448 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Aug 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davec:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcamp:
Recently, at a steakhouse in Keystone Colorado, ....

Which restaurant?

Bighorn, right at keystone lodge. This was about three weeks ago and their wine list is not online. The stuff I got was the last of that bottle, but I didn't ask about the rest of the inventory. Just saying you should give them a call first to ensure the sale is still on and see what they have before investing any significant time. Let me know how it works out.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
quote:

Which place is that?

Purple. There is one in Kirkland and downtown Seattle, but as far as I know, only the Woodinville location has these sales. Next one should be coming up soon.

Posts: 6786 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if they still do this, but at the Banff Springs hotel a couple of years ago I was able to buy bottles off the restaurant list through their wine store.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1374 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 1999 Grange for $150 from a restaurant in California.

They were changing the focus of their wine list.

Unfortunately, all the Bordeaux had been cleaned out before I arrived.

Bfw

Posts: 146 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Jan 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Which place is that?

Purple. There is one in Kirkland and downtown Seattle, but as far as I know, only the Woodinville location has these sales. Next one should be coming up soon.

Ah yes. Went to the woodinville one a couple of months ago. I prefer the Seattle location.

Posts: 1113 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Which place is that?

Ah yes. Went to the woodinville one a couple of months ago. I prefer the Seattle location.

That one is dangerously close to me. It's just a few blocks down the street from where I work. Devilish