Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Stemware
 Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
PH,

I have both of these glasses and the Bottega del Vino is a monster next to the Vinum. So in addition to the flare, the glass has a much bigger bowl.


Indeed, a larger and different shape of a bowl, completely different angles towards the top of the glass, a much different weight and balance to the glass.

Other than that PH, they are both wine glasses, I guess. Wink
 
Posts: 30128 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Prefer Riedel.

Own glassware from several different producers.
 
Posts: 2207 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Bump.

I was looking for a good thread on Stemware, but initially could not find what I was looking for by searching.

This seems to be the best and most recent general discussion of the topic.

BUT could somebody please edit the thread title of "Steamware"? Smack


Anyway, between my own clumsiness, that of my wife and kids, and the prevalence of hard Cambria countertops in my kitchen, my collection of wine glasses is dwindling. I have accumulated cellar full of very nice wines over the years, but have been very basic in my stemware, so it's about time to step up. Up until now, I've been mainly drinking with Riedel Ouvreture Magnum and Red Wine glasses, and I still think they are a very nice glass for everyday use, even though they do break fairly easily. I acquired a few Spieglau a couple of years ago, and while they are a little thicker than the Riedels, they don't seem to be much sturdier, at least in my hands. My wife ordered for me a set of Schott Zwiesels through Pottery Barn, but whatever the line is called, they just feel way too heavy and clunky, and I'm sending them back. I'm thinking this is probably not Schott Zwiesels best effort, probably a cheaper glass just for Pottery Barn(?).

I just ordered some Riedel Vinum Bordeaux glasses, which seem to be a pretty decent deal right now at $150 for 8. And I like the appearance of the Shott Zwiesel Pure line for Burgundy glasses, so I ordered some of them, too. Hopefully they are a little more delicate than the Pottery Barn effort.

BUT, I'm liking the look and recs for the Bottega del Vino line, so I have them on my Birthday wish list. Hopefully my wife gets the not-so-subtle hints.


Stay thirsty my friends.
 
Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:


BUT, I'm liking the look and recs for the Bottega del Vino line, so I have them on my Birthday wish list. Hopefully my wife gets the not-so-subtle hints.


Redhawk, I just picked up four more this past week.

Excellent stemware, and easily my favorite.
 
Posts: 30128 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I love, love, love my Schott Zweisel stems. They are affordable, durable, and effective, but you must be careful which line you purchase. I like the Tritan Forte line.


Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas
 
Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I like the Lennox Tuscan Series for both Bordeaux and Burgundy stems. Although, I don't believe they make the Burgundy stems any longer. Much cheaper as well.
 
Posts: 939 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NewOrleansWinosaur:
I love, love, love my Schott Zweisel stems. They are affordable, durable, and effective, but you must be careful which line you purchase. I like the Tritan Forte line.


I just received my Schott-Zweisels, and I can say that I am happy with the "Pure" series glasses. They have a nice feel and balance to them, and are nowhere near as "clunky" as the Pottery Barn Shott-Zweisels. I believe the glass is the same as the Tritan Forte line, just a different, more angular, shape.


Stay thirsty my friends.
 
Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Just got 2 Zalto champagne glasses. WOW. Best glasses ever. I am a believer!
 
Posts: 176 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Dec 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoWino:
Just got 2 Zalto champagne glasses. WOW. Best glasses ever. I am a believer!


While I prefer most Champagnes not in Champagne flutes, Champagne I do prefer in flutes, Zalto flutes are excellent indeed.
 
Posts: 30128 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My daughter gave me more Bottega del Vino stemware, my very favorite for Christmas.

This time, more Rosso Giovane, one of my go-to glasses. It is great to have a daughter of such style. Cool
 
Posts: 30128 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Hi

I went to the Schott Zwiesel distributor here in Toronto (Fortessa) and looked at all their stemware. I found all of their stems to be too thick at the rim, with the exception of their Enotica line, which are hand made. These are a tad thicker than Riedel Vinum, and are made with titanium rather than lead. I just bought 4 of of their Bordeaux Premier Cru stems; i have not broken one yet, but have only had them 2 weeks. They are a tad wider in the bowl than the Riedel. Frankly, I find them abit to wide to comfortably hold, but I do not have large hands. I do like the wide bowl and narrow mouth, as it allows good aeration and build up of aromas in the glass. The Enoticas are a series, with a variety of styles, so I am sure you would find a style you like. They are $42 Cdn.

Cheers

Jhcolman


I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles. - Bishop of Seville
 
Posts: 832 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jul 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhcolman:
Hi

I went to the Schott Zwiesel distributor here in Toronto (Fortessa) and looked at all their stemware. I found all of their stems to be too thick at the rim, with the exception of their Enotica line, which are hand made. These are a tad thicker than Riedel Vinum, and are made with titanium rather than lead. I just bought 4 of of their Bordeaux Premier Cru stems; i have not broken one yet, but have only had them 2 weeks. They are a tad wider in the bowl than the Riedel. Frankly, I find them abit to wide to comfortably hold, but I do not have large hands. I do like the wide bowl and narrow mouth, as it allows good aeration and build up of aromas in the glass. The Enoticas are a series, with a variety of styles, so I am sure you would find a style you like. They are $42 Cdn.

Cheers

Jhcolman


I've enjoyed these glasses for afew weeks. They are excellent. The rims are nicely thin. I now find them comfortable to hold in hand. The wide bowl and relatively narrow mouth is excellent for gathering wine vapours, for nosing. And they do not break. I have tapped them against things afew times by accident. My Reidels would have broken. These did not. As fine a glass as a Reidel, but much less expensive in the long run, given Reidel breakage.


I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles. - Bishop of Seville
 
Posts: 832 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jul 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 


© Wine Spectator 2013