Find
Notify
Tools

Stemware
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Buy a couple of Riedel microfibre towels and read the directions - very helpful, no lint or fingerprints also.

I use only Spiegel silken towels to dry (an extremely helpful tip I got from PH one weekend I was visiting). Your stems come out sparkling every time with a minimum of effort.

Posts: 15520 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
Go with the brand that offers "frosted" stems.

Pretentiously yours,
JS

Nice!!

Posts: 184 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: Sep 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Buy a couple of Riedel microfibre towels and read the directions - very helpful, no lint or fingerprints also.

I use only Spiegel silken towels to dry (an extremely helpful tip I got from PH one weekend I was visiting). Your stems come out sparkling every time with a minimum of effort.

Good tip thanks... I have a few Sonoma towels that work well.

Posts: 184 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: Sep 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Will seek these out... Thanks for the tip.

The Dude abides.

Posts: 3027 | Location: San Francisco and Taipei | Registered: Jun 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
quote:

Will seek these out... Thanks for the tip.

+1

Posts: 30126 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
... We have 20 of the Burgs....

Eek Eek Cool

Posts: 1570 | Location: London, ON | Registered: Nov 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually use Riedel - Vinum, Vinum Extreme, and those stemless ones. I do all of the wine glass washing, so very few breaks.

I was gifted a variety of stems from the Ravenscroft invisibles collection. Indeed they are so whisper light and elegant, but they break if you cough on them.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
I was gifted a variety of stems from the Ravenscroft invisibles collection. Indeed they are so whisper light and elegant, but they break if you cough on them.

I have some of the Ravenscroft Sauternes - very nice and less than half the price of Riedel Vinum Extreme Icewine, the other dessert stems that I use.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

One more for now. Follow the progression of your wine from very first pour. You never know what you'll miss. It may sound simplistic, but I've over-aired wines and gotten to them too late more times than I'd like to admit. I've never regretted tasting one early.

PH

I agree 100%. This past weekend I popped an Ornellaia and after it aired for 10 hours and decanted at the restaurant. Stemware does make a huge differenc as the Galatrona that we started with was poured into small stems and it was difficult to get a full appreciation and the wine showed little progression over the 2 hours. The Ornellaia was poured into large Riedels and improved and opened over the same time.

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 730 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the glassware that comes with Smuckers jam. Indestrucatble. Fit the hand. Free with purchase of product. Fits the dishwasher and best of all have never broken one. Big Grin

For special occassion I do break out the Vinum or Somms. Only broke 3 in 10 years.

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6349 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Their Grand Burgundy stems are great, but for some reason, Lenox discontinued them. They might still be available at some of their outlet stores. Someone, I believe it was Rothko, said something like, "How ironic that Lenox cancelled one of the best wine glasses made."

Fortunately I got my hands on a bunch of the Grand Burgundy glasses before they were discontinued.

Used them last night, in fact.

Posts: 6456 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a couple of the Riedel grand burgundy somm stems and while they are beautiful, they are just too big. I feel the wines I like to drink get to much air in those stems and the aromas are hard to get which is half of the enjoyment for me.

For Bordeaux , Brunello and Rhone varietals we use the riedel vinum Bordeaux glasses. Have not broken one yet and really enjoy the shape and size. For pinot, fuller whites like white burg and rhones and nebbiolo my favorite stem is a Schott Zwiesel Burgundy glass. They have a couple of styles, but the one I have has a really nice rounded bowl that is great to look and works really well for the wines I drink. For other whites like Riesling, champagne, loire whites, etc I use a smaller red wine glass that I picked up years ago at crate and barrel. Perfect size for those crisp whites we drink often.

Posts: 6508 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our daily use glasses have been Riedel Vinum XL (Cab Sauv and Pinot Noir) for years and we haven't broken one yet. I think they're a bit smaller than the Grand Burgundys but a bit larger than the regular Vinums.

While it may be Riedel sacrilege to say, we find these two styles suffice for any reds we drink.

Posts: 2799 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just received a pair of the Bottega del Vino Rosso Amarone as recommended by w+a.

A beautiful pair of stems. Razz

Posts: 1605 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!

posted Hide Post
My favorites are the ones with hand-painted daisies, and other nice flowers, on the bowls. They are so cheery, and they add 3 points to any wine you serve in them.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No... Nice big thick glass with a lot of etching is the way to go.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just received a pair of the Bottega del Vino Rosso Amarone as recommended by w+a.

Well played, wine doc.

I would also pick up a few of their Rosso Giovane.

What are we drinking out of next week? Smile

Posts: 30126 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got to get some of these bottega del vino stems. Looks like a great glass.

Posts: 230 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: Jul 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

Well played, wine doc.

Good question - I feel it will be largely dependent on venue.
Tricky to find a place open in the afternoon - we can go back to our last venue. They have private rooms. Cool

posted Hide Post
quote:

we can go back to our last venue. They have private rooms. Cool

I would not want to go elsewhere. A well-appointed venue that works well, and has style to boot. Cool

posted Hide Post
" Steamware " - Cornings
" Stemware " - Riedel Vinum and Somms

http://www.h2o2winecellardesign.com/

Posts: 2074 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

Well played, wine doc.

These glasses look just like a Riedel Vinum with a flared lip. Not sure the appeal (other than asthetic, perhaps) for the flared lip. Do you guys have problems with your mouth sliding off the rim?? Razz

PH

Posts: 15115 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PH,

I have both of these glasses and the Bottega del Vino is a monster next to the Vinum. So in addition to the flare, the glass has a much bigger bowl.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, doc....

PH

Posts: 15115 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post