Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stemware
 Login/Join 
posted
This is not a debate on whether a glass changes the taste, but rather which do you prefer.

I have been using, and my wife has been breaking Riedel all year now. I did just purchase 2 Baccarat and love them. I do think they are over priced. WineDoc turned me on to Rosso Amarone. I have also read good things about Zalto.

For those of you that have used both of these which do you prefer? The Rosso Amarone or the Zalto

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Clrv,

Posts: 184 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: Sep 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You listed 4 brands of glasses. Which both?

PH

Posts: 15345 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry
The Rosso Amarone or the Zalto

Posts: 184 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: Sep 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah.... the two I have no experience with!

If you're looking for good stems with low breakability, I like the Schott Zwiesel line.

Both brands you ask about are certainly pricy. I don't think I'll ever spend + $50 for a wine stem again.

PH

Posts: 15345 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank PH I'll look into those as well

posted Hide Post
Sorry, I should have mentionned that the SZ Forte line are the almost break-proof stems. They have good lines and are thin enough that you don't think you're drinking out of a jar... Smile

At $12 or so a pop, they are very good daily stems. Nothing elegant, mind you....

PH

posted Hide Post
Lenox Tuscany Series are the best glasses I've ever found that are decently priced. They're virtual clones of the $85 Riedel Somm series, but at $10 frequently on sale in Macy's.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37091 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Lenox Tuscany Series are the best glasses I've ever found that are decently priced. They're virtual clones of the $85 Riedel Somm series, but at $10 frequently on sale in Macy's.

I bought 4 of their Bordeaux Somm clones many years back at your recommendation, Board-O. I still haven't killed one! I like to use them for big Bordeaux.

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clrv:

and my wife has been breaking Riedel all year now. o

Only wash the morning after. Wink

Posts: 30371 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their Grand Burgundy stems are great, but for some reason, Lenox discontinued them. They might still be available at some of their outlet stores. Someone, I believe it was Rothko, said something like, "How ironic that Lenox cancelled one of the best wine glasses made."

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37091 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agree on the shape of the stems on your comparison, B-O. I think the glass on the Lennox stems is significantly thicker, though. Not that this is a bad thing, especially if your spouse is killing crystal.... Wink

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

I think this suggestion is among the top 10 pieces of wisdom I've garnered from this place. Cool

PH

posted Hide Post
The stems are only slightly thicker and the bowl glass looks the same. I have the Riedel Somms and have compared them closely.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
quote:

I think this suggestion is among the top 10 pieces of wisdom I've garnered from this place. Cool

PH

Care to name the other 9? Banana

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
You must have gotten Chinese Somms. Or I got Chinese Lennnox. Razz Ray Charles could see the difference between mine. It's really noticeable. Let's call it bottle variation?? Cool

PH

posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not going to pull them out now, but they're close, not identical. Have you ever found anything closer to Riedel Somms?

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:

It's a really good thought. It would take more time than I can devote tonight, but it'll be fun to think of what they could be.

One more for now. Follow the progression of your wine from very first pour. You never know what you'll miss. It may sound simplistic, but I've over-aired wines and gotten to them too late more times than I'd like to admit. I've never regretted tasting one early.

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I'm not going to pull them out now, but they're close, not identical. Have you ever found anything closer to Riedel Somms?

Not in shape. I haven't found any clone that so closely appromiximates the lines of the Sommelier Series. One of the appeals to many, and to me the biggest downfall of the Somm is their thinness. I've killed two of my four Bordeaux stems. And I washed them stone sober. Bang

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

quote:
It's a really good thought. It would take more time than I can devote tonight, but it'll be fun to think of what they could be.

One more for now. Follow the progression of your wine from very first pour. You never know what you'll miss. It may sound simplistic, but I've over-aired wines and gotten to them too late more times than I'd like to admit. I've never regretted tasting one early.

PH

Maybe the other 8 should be on a whole other thread as I would like to know them as well Smile

Thanks for the advise!

posted Hide Post
I have actually found the Riedel Somms to be VERY sturdy... We have 20 of the Burgs... I have banged them on several occasions, and (knock on wood), never broken a single one. The Vitis collection I have not been as fortunate with.

The Dude abides.

Posts: 3095 | Location: San Francisco and Taipei | Registered: Jun 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Follow the progression of your wine from very first pour. You never know what you'll miss. It may sound simplistic, but I've over-aired wines and gotten to them too late more times than I'd like to admit. I've never regretted tasting one early.
PH

Good advice. Over-airing hasn't been a problem for me. Sometimes not enough air time has been. Years ago, along with an order, a manager of a wine store gave me a 1955 Premier Cru Burgundy with 1/3 of the wine missing. The bottle hadn't been opened or leaked, just was only 2/3 full. A friend ITB and I opened it, tasted it immediately and was good, not great. Within ten minutes, it was dead.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
TPE I might have to try the Somms then. I have only had the Vinum with no luck. Even the day after Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
TPE I might have to try the Somms then. I have only had the Vinum with no luck. Even the day after Wink

Wait until you can pick em up on sale... We bought em from Macy's for about $70 each, which is about $50 less than their regular price. Breaking one at $70 would hurt... At $125 it really sucks.

The Dude abides.

Posts: 3095 | Location: San Francisco and Taipei | Registered: Jun 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

+1 on the day after. I do this with eager but tipsy guests.

Other tip is to look at technique vs the glass. Buy a couple of Riedel microfibre towels and read the directions - very helpful, no lint or fingerprints also.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with the brand that offers "frosted" stems.

Pretentiously yours,
JS

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6180 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post