WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2010 Lewelling offer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
2010 Lewelling offer
 Login/Join 
Member
posted
Anyone else get shut out that normally buys from the list? I went to the site 2 hours after the email offer went out and was surprised to find it sold out. Been buying off the list since vintage 2000. Never seen it go this fast before. Two hours is awfully quick. I guess next year will have to sit by the computer and wait for the offer which seems ridiculous.
 
Posts: 134 | Location: Washington DC | Registered: Sep 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Like you I've bought my max allocation for years. And today I had to travel this morning for work, so now I'm shut out. Oh well, bye Lewelling, nice knowing you.
 
Posts: 301 | Location: 90049 | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redline325:
Like you I've bought my max allocation for years. And today I had to travel this morning for work, so now I'm shut out. Oh well, bye Lewelling, nice knowing you.


Binny's has the '09s...why bother with shipping?
 
Posts: 900 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Same here been buying since 03 vintage. When I was shut out just after 4 hours I called them up. I got a lady on the phone who said "we sent out an e mail last week to let you know the offer was coming out this week" I said yes I replied 4 hours later and it was sold out. She said it went fast. Having to get this 2-4 hours after e mail is sent is a joke. Like people having nothing to do but what for the e mail to arrive and order it as soon as they get it. At least give people 24 hours.
 
Posts: 1662 | Location: New York | Registered: Apr 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I got shut out in 2004 and in 2006 but ordered every vintage since 03 as well. I wish I was able to pick up some of the 04 Wights but oh well...great people and delicious wine. So supply is limited and demand is high.

I blame Parker and his high ratings and blame others for liking their wine, which makes it sell out so quickly but I can't be happier for the Wights. I'll keep buying unless they shut me out of 2012 Mad, since my daughter was born in 2012.
 
Posts: 182 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Dec 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
quote:
Originally posted by Redline325:
Like you I've bought my max allocation for years. And today I had to travel this morning for work, so now I'm shut out. Oh well, bye Lewelling, nice knowing you.


Binny's has the '09s...why bother with shipping?


Well....Binny's wants $50 & $80, so $130 for the pair instead of $98 direct.
 
Posts: 301 | Location: 90049 | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why people gets upset over this, they are one of the few true Napkins making wonderful, honest, and extremely fair priced wines. For that matter, they are well under priced based on demand.

For years, Dave always told me he just doesn't have enough wine to go around to keep everyone happy, especially the mailing list customers. And for years, I've told him there are three solutions. First, reduce the allocation he's given to retail accounts and move to mailing list. Second, take a good size price hike. Third, raise production.

Fast forward good eight years later, he hasn't taken any of my suggestions. He doesn't want to cut retail account allocations as they are the folks that helped got the label off the ground. He didn't take anything resembling a significant price hike as he want to take care of his mailing list customers. Production wasn't increased because Dave doesn't need the money and don't want more work.

Perhaps he can reduce the allocation to each mailing list customer to split the production more evenly, but I would bet there will still be same amount of people complaining.
Or would any of you rather see him increase the mailing list price by 50% to curb the demand? Even at that price point, the likely scenario is still not enough wine to go around, but perhaps rather than taking less than four hours to be sold out, that time window becomes 48 hours.

Think about this, how many Napa labels are created by people that made their money elsewhere in the world, fly to Napa and decide to be a vintner? How many of these "I don't need money" type ends up pricing their wine at stupid triple digits range?

Dave is a genuinely wonderful, friendly, down to earth guy. Dave is a farmer that decided to make a little bit of wine from his vineyards and eventually pass it on to the next generation in the family.

Honestly, I haven't bought Lewlling for years, and haven't visited with Dave since I moved away from Napa two years ago. But I can guarantee you, if I give him a call tomorrow telling him I am heading to Napa and want to see him, he will do what he can to make that happen because he really is a great guy and really cares.

Look, if you missed out this year, you are not kicked off the mailing list and there is always more wine next year.


--------------------------
Powell Yang
Director
Clarets Hong Kong Ltd.
 
Posts: 7003 | Location: HKG - TPE - TAO | Registered: Sep 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
+1 to pyang.

Get over folks. I've been shut out the last 3 years because I couldn't sign on fast enough. So be it. Maybe I'll get some next year. If not, I'll keep buying from other good people I really like and want to support such as Stefania, Match, etc...


Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net
 
Posts: 13653 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
considering that even sherry lehman in NY has it.

I'm certainly not worried about "missing out"


This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)
 
Posts: 12439 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I don't see what the problem is. There's an ocean of excellent wine at similar or even lower prices. Rhones are arriving by the boatload. California's Central Coast and Washington are erupting with great wine. If you miss out on one, there are a hundred to take its place.


Just one more sip.
 
Posts: 37067 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I don't see what the problem is. There's an ocean of excellent wine at similar or even lower prices. Rhones are arriving by the boatload. California's Central Coast and Washington are erupting with great wine. If you miss out on one, there are a hundred to take its place.


Agreed.
 
Posts: 1324 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I don't see what the problem is. There's an ocean of excellent wine at similar or even lower prices. Rhones are arriving by the boatload. California's Central Coast and Washington are erupting with great wine. If you miss out on one, there are a hundred to take its place.


Buh buh buh but...Board-OOOOOOO....I want THIS wine. I'm so pissy I missed out on it! It just makes me want to go on the Internet and piss and moan about it!

Big Grin


Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net
 
Posts: 13653 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I don't see what the problem is. There's an ocean of excellent wine at similar or even lower prices. Rhones are arriving by the boatload. California's Central Coast and Washington are erupting with great wine. If you miss out on one, there are a hundred to take its place.


Buh buh buh but...Board-OOOOOOO....I want THIS wine. I'm so pissy I missed out on it! It just makes me want to go on the Internet and piss and moan about it!

Big Grin


You forgot to mention that your butt hurts.
 
Posts: 1324 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TERPS:
Same here been buying since 03 vintage. When I was shut out just after 4 hours I called them up. I got a lady on the phone who said "we sent out an e mail last week to let you know the offer was coming out this week" I said yes I replied 4 hours later and it was sold out. She said it went fast. Having to get this 2-4 hours after e mail is sent is a joke. Like people having nothing to do but what for the e mail to arrive and order it as soon as they get it. At least give people 24 hours.
What would giving people 24 hours do? They would still sell out in 2 hours. I could give you a week to decide if you wanted to buy my wine, but if I only made 100 bottles and other people bought them, I'd have nothing for you.


________________________
If you're young and conservative, you have no heart. If you're old and liberal, you have no brain.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.
 
Posts: 2965 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
All are good points. In the grand scheme of things this is not that big of an issue for me. All i was saying was that it seems silly to me that a long time customer who looks forward to this particular release yearly has to be in front of the computer at 12 PST on one particular day to get their order in. If i recall correctly, this happend to Saxum not too long ago on one release and they fixed the issue on the next one by releasing in tiers to the most senior on the list first and giving them a respectable amount of time (about 1 week) to get an order in. Most of us have jobs and can place an order within a day as TERPS suggested, however a two hour window is not cool to those that really are loyal to the brand. I know there is a ton of wine at great prices right now to replace it and missing one vintage is not that big of a deal. I also can relate and agree with everything Pang said about Lewellings business model and about how nice the people are as I have visited with them probably 5 or six times over ten years out on the picnic bench out in the vineyard. Again, one of the reasons why i look forward to their annual release. In the end, i will continue to support them and attempt to buy again next year. This winery is one of those special places that the wife and I always remember and really enjoy their wine. Although, i wouldn't mind if they held an allocation for 24 hours.
 
Posts: 134 | Location: Washington DC | Registered: Sep 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cabwiz:
In the end, i will continue to support them and attempt to buy again next year. This winery is one of those special places that the wife and I always remember and really enjoy their wine. Although, i wouldn't mind if they held an allocation for 24 hours.


so buying their wine retail is not supporting them?


This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)
 
Posts: 12439 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pyang:
I don't understand why people gets upset over this, they are one of the few true Napkins making wonderful, honest, and extremely fair priced wines. For that matter, they are well under priced based on demand.

For years, Dave always told me he just doesn't have enough wine to go around to keep everyone happy, especially the mailing list customers. And for years, I've told him there are three solutions. First, reduce the allocation he's given to retail accounts and move to mailing list. Second, take a good size price hike. Third, raise production.

Fast forward good eight years later, he hasn't taken any of my suggestions. He doesn't want to cut retail account allocations as they are the folks that helped got the label off the ground. He didn't take anything resembling a significant price hike as he want to take care of his mailing list customers. Production wasn't increased because Dave doesn't need the money and don't want more work.

Perhaps he can reduce the allocation to each mailing list customer to split the production more evenly, but I would bet there will still be same amount of people complaining.
Or would any of you rather see him increase the mailing list price by 50% to curb the demand? Even at that price point, the likely scenario is still not enough wine to go around, but perhaps rather than taking less than four hours to be sold out, that time window becomes 48 hours.

Think about this, how many Napa labels are created by people that made their money elsewhere in the world, fly to Napa and decide to be a vintner? How many of these "I don't need money" type ends up pricing their wine at stupid triple digits range?

Dave is a genuinely wonderful, friendly, down to earth guy. Dave is a farmer that decided to make a little bit of wine from his vineyards and eventually pass it on to the next generation in the family.

Honestly, I haven't bought Lewlling for years, and haven't visited with Dave since I moved away from Napa two years ago. But I can guarantee you, if I give him a call tomorrow telling him I am heading to Napa and want to see him, he will do what he can to make that happen because he really is a great guy and really cares.

Look, if you missed out this year, you are not kicked off the mailing list and there is always more wine next year.


could not agree more - one of the best tours and tastings in Napa always with the caveat that there will be NO wine for sale at the end of the tour, because it is all sold. Last year they let my son help them measure brix with them during the tour.

Due to the short window, I missed out on my allocation, but the wine is readily available at retail.
 
Posts: 231 | Registered: Jun 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
so buying their wine retail is not supporting them?


+1

Who cares when the mailing list is closed out, when Lewelling is readily available at retail?

What does their Cab Sauv. & "Wight Vineyard" Cab Sauv. go for off of the mailing list? I believe I have seen them for around ($60) & ($85), respectively, at LWS.
 
Posts: 1622 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
the pair is $98 direct, so it's less expensive.

regardless, I agree with Pyang and Board-O. They are doing the one thing that we all always wish other wineries would do. They're keeping prices flat, even as demand and scores increase.

And as Board-O said, lately I get less and less bothered about "missing out" since the tide has been raised so high, that it's very easy to find stellar replacement at great prices.

Stefania, Match, ACVV, John Anthony, Chappellet, etc all produce stellar wine as well. I love Lewelling, and at first I was disappointed when I missed the window. But then I realized there are several other wines I can buy for that price, that will deliver the same amount of joy - and notice I haven't even gone into the Rhone varietals.
 
Posts: 5089 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
the pair is $98 direct, so it's less expensive.


Wow, that's quite a difference.

I agree with you, Board-O, & Pyang as well. Producers like this are becoming few & far between here in the States.
 
Posts: 1622 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoWino:
I got shut out in 2004 and in 2006 but ordered every vintage since 03 as well.

I still have quite a bit from '04 and '06 (except for the '04 Wight, which I sold off when the auction prices ran way up). Can bring some to an offline or we can trade, if you haven't had any yet.
 
Posts: 2960 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have the 07, 08, and 09 but are any of these ready to drink? I've never tried any to date.
 
Posts: 2568 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
I have the 07, 08, and 09 but are any of these ready to drink? I've never tried any to date.


I like Lewelling after the 6-7 year mark. I tried an 07 Wight and I didn't think it was over the top like many people, but I think it needed more time.
 
Posts: 182 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Dec 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoWino:
I got shut out in 2004 and in 2006 but ordered every vintage since 03 as well.

I still have quite a bit from '04 and '06 (except for the '04 Wight, which I sold off when the auction prices ran way up). Can bring some to an offline or we can trade, if you haven't had any yet.


I was able to secure some of the 07 and 04 from KL when they came out but I know you got a sexy cellar full of good wine! Looking for italian wine Smile You got any for trade?
 
Posts: 182 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Dec 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
I have the 07, 08, and 09 but are any of these ready to drink? I've never tried any to date.


This is the nice thing about the "pair" from the winery. I usually start drinking some of my "Lewelling" Cabs about one year after I receive them. I have about one per year. I find they drink very nicely.

By the time I run out of Lewelling cab, it'll be year 4, and I can start trying some of the Wight cabs.

Good stuff either way.
 
Posts: 5089 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2010 Lewelling offer

© Wine Spectator 2013