WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Dow's 1985, 1994, 2007 VP Gift pack
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dow's 1985, 1994, 2007 VP Gift pack
 Login/Join 
posted
I'm just getting into ports and an interesting offer came my way. A friend of a friend has a Dow's 3 pack gift pack he got as a present that he wants to sell. I've just been drinking tawny's and LBV ports lately and have been wanting to get a nice bottle of VP to try.

The gift pack contains one bottle each of 1985, 1994, and 2007 VP. What's a fair price to pay for the three bottles total? He is asking $350CDN.

Posts: 212 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know the port market in Canada, but based on low WineSearcher pricing he's about $100 US high. Since he's selling a gift that he has no investment in, I'd offer him $200 and play it from there.

PH

Posts: 15009 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You say it's a gift pack; is it in some sort special packaging that might be fun to display, or just those three bottles together? If it's in something that would look good to display and you plan on keeping the bottles for a few years, it might add some non-bottle value, but them I'm the guy that pays winebid the extra $10+shipping for the wooden box on case lots.

(You didn't ask, but I'd say the 1985 is a drink or hold, the 1994 is a hold or drink with lots of air, and don't touch the 2007 for another dozen or more years.)

Jim
That's, RedLoverJim to you

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RedLoverJim:
..... it might add some non-bottle value....

Probably not. Not worth paying any extra for in my opinion.

PH

Posts: 15009 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Too pricey. I've had all three of them (the '85 recently), and agree with RedLoverJim's basic assessment.'85 not spectacular, drink or hold. The other two are just terrific, and built for LONG haul.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8878 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by RedLoverJim:
..... it might add some non-bottle value....

Probably not. Not worth paying any extra for in my opinion.

PH

I wouldn't pay $100 premium for it myself, but some people are willing to pay a premium for a nice display. Hence, products such as this.

Jim
That's, RedLoverJim to you

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's in Canada, prices vary by province.

Here in BC 2 of those are available: 1985 @$116, and 1994 @ $130. I didn't buy any 2007s but would assume it's over $100, so that price of C$350 here is OK.

Cheers!

Posts: 8349 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If on Ontario; the 1985 is available for $91, the 2007 doesn't appear to be available but came out at $75, and I don't see any info on the 1994.

I'd be looking to keep it to $250.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 687 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! I think I will pass on this. Might just look at getting a few bottles separately.

Posts: 212 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post