WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Selling empty bottles on e-bay
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling empty bottles on e-bay
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sharkey:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Sharkey, can you provide a link to where you cite your evidence?

Linked in my first post above. Besides Rudy (now in FBI custody), there are evidently additional counterfiting operations in Europe. And that is in addition to the Asian operations.

I don't consider a thread on Rudy as concrete evidence of people buying empty bottles on the internet for illicit purposes. As GregT pointed out, it takes more than just obtaining old bottles and labels to counterfeit something. If you want the label of an expensive bottle of wine, why not just replicate it from an image versus removing it from an old bottle which could be badly damaged, heavily stained,etc.

Posts: 5177 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sharkey:
quote:
Sharkey, can you provide a link to where you cite your evidence?

Linked in my first post above. Besides Rudy (now in FBI custody), there are evidently additional counterfiting operations in Europe. And that is in addition to the Asian operations.

I don't consider a thread on Rudy as concrete evidence of people buying empty bottles on the internet for illicit purposes. As GregT pointed out, it takes more than just obtaining old bottles and labels to counterfeit something. If you want the label of an expensive bottle of wine, why not just replicate it from an image versus removing it from an old bottle which could be badly damaged, heavily stained,etc.

you don't you take the label off, scan it so you can replicate the look or know what to look for in a "properly" aged bottle.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12295 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post