WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    LCBO Online auction
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LCBO Online auction
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
You may pick up downtown next to Queens Quay LCBO

http://www.h2o2winecellardesign.com/

Posts: 2080 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't think I would bid on anything anyways, but the waddingtons website seems to be down at the moment.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 733 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like almost 200 lots (25%) went unsold. If I were a cash-strapped provincial government, not sure I'd be too happy about that.

Were the opening bids set by the seller or by Mr. Yoxall and team?

Posts: 2839 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody picked up anything interesting? I wanted to taste some old Bordeaux (to make sure I should stick with buying some given how long they can take to mature). So I got an 1982 Calon Segur and 3 1990 Chateau Haut Marbuzet. Not sure they're the best I could get but they were affordable and should give me a good sense of what an older Bordeau can be like.

Posts: 47 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Jun 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gsmfan:
Anybody picked up anything interesting? I wanted to taste some old Bordeaux (to make sure I should stick with buying some given how long they can take to mature). So I got an 1982 Calon Segur and 3 1990 Chateau Haut Marbuzet. Not sure they're the best I could get but they were affordable and should give me a good sense of what an older Bordeau can be like.

I nearly bid on that one. The 82 Calon Segur looked nice, less certain about the Marbuzet, but the price looked reasonable. Hope you enjoy and please post notes!

Posts: 1924 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Looks like almost 200 lots (25%) went unsold. If I were a cash-strapped provincial government, not sure I'd be too happy about that.

Were the opening bids set by the seller or by Mr. Yoxall and team?

I'm not surprised. Some of the reserves were set so high that I just ignored those lots. I wasn't really looking at the Bordeaux, but I didn't see much value among the rest.

Posts: 5141 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up the magnum of poggio antico 1995 bdm, primarily because I want to compare it with a younger vintage.

Victory loves preparation.

Posts: 260 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:
I picked up the magnum of poggio antico 1995 bdm, primarily because I want to compare it with a younger vintage.

ABryce, congrats on your first auction purchase. It's all downhill from here. Wink

Posts: 2839 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Downhill it is! Let me know when we get to bottom!

Posts: 5141 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:

ABryce, congrats on your first auction purchase. It's all downhill from here. Wink

Sure sounds like a fun ride though!

Posts: 260 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to mention very expensive.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5758 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched a few lots and then went to KL & Wine bid and scratched my itchy trigger finger there with some SGN's and 2001 J.J.Prum auslese. Potentially some 1992 Dalla Valle as well.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody on here happen to be the seller of the unsold lot number 538. It's the SQN Suey.

Posts: 100 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I watched a few lots and then went to KL & Wine bid and scratched my itchy trigger finger there with some SGN's and 2001 J.J.Prum auslese. Potentially some 1992 Dalla Valle as well.

Rob, what kind of duties and shipping costs do you end up having to pay when ordering from this website? Does it differ whether you bid on something vs. simply purchase?

Posts: 47 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Jun 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gsmfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:

Rob, what kind of duties and shipping costs do you end up having to pay when ordering from this website? Does it differ whether you bid on something vs. simply purchase?

I'd also like to know

posted Hide Post
K&L has no buyer premium so it's just shipping to so place in the US where you have to go pick it up. WineBid has a 14% premium plus shipping. Still cheaper and you can buy $50 bottles all day long from auctions in the US whereas the LCBO one seems to be mostly trophies or near enough to to not matter.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you have your bottles shipped to a US location and then go pick them up yourself. If you stay 48 hours you can take back two bottles per person duty free. Anything else you pay about an additional 66% on your declared value.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 733 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So ordering and getting delivered straigth to T.O. wouldn't make sense I guess. Bummer. I'll just have to find a good wine store next time I go to the US.

posted Hide Post
One advantage you have with K&L auctions is that they will hold onto your wine. In my case, I don't travel into the US very often and they have been holding some wine since October until my next scheduled trip to Indian Wells in March.

By contrast, the LCBO doesn't want to provide storage for you (not sure I really blame them) and pushes you to pick up your auction wine asap.