WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Northern Rhone Value?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northern Rhone Value?
 Login/Join 
posted
My first post on Wine Spectator, still learning much. I did do a search but didn't find enough info or did not look in the right place.

Curious if there is a good Northern Rhone Value to experience old world Syrah? Have not tasted any so far. By value I mean something under $30 dollars. I imagine St. Joseph or Crozes-Hermitage, but looking for producers you think are great values.

Thanks!

Curt

Posts: 4 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Jan 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome Kurt.

A Crozes-Hermitage from a producer named Hauts Chassis. They have three different bottlings. One at $15, $20 and $30.

Georges Vernay had a great Saint Joseph that was about $25. Have not seen that in a while though.

Posts: 8626 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allain graillot Crozes-Hermitage.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1523 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also like Alain Graillot Crozes-Hermitage.

Look also to these producer:

Pierre Gaillard (Clos de Cuminaille is pretty good !)
Yves Cuilleron
Les Vins de Vienne
Christophe Pichon
Vincent Paris
Delas

Posts: 797 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:

+1,000

And my single favorite QPR wine, is a Vin de Table N Rhone by Auguste Clape named Le Vin des Amis. It's very low production, and it sells out quickly, but it can be had around $27 per bottle. I have a hard time finding a wine I like as much as this one, and there's nothing that touches it at the price point.

Another recent find that rocks pretty damn hard is the Cotes de Rhone-Brezeme by Eric Texier. A wine that I find really, really, hard to beat for the price (~$20). I don't understand clearly why it's called a "Cotes du Rhone Brezeme", because Brezeme is considered Northern Rhone. Maybe someone who knows what the heck they're talking about can chime in.

Pierre Gonon's Saint-Joseph is another great wine at a reasonable price point.

For the most part, there are solid values to be had in Gigondas, Saint-Joseph, and Crozes-Hermitage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jorgerunfast,

Posts: 4704 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:

Does anyone have any experience with the Blanc (Marsanne or so I'm told)?

Posts: 2475 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only 4 people on here can recommend a Crozes or Saint Joseph. Confused

Posts: 8626 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on Delas,

Mixed experience with Vincent Paris.

Posts: 1766 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapoutier Crozes-Hermitage “Les Meysonniers”.

Posts: 5344 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any Crozes or St Joseph or Cornas from Jaboulet or Chapoutier

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36722 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What the three guys above of me said.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2193 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good question! I love Syrah but most of what I drink is from California or Washington. And nearly all the rhones I drink are from the south, which are mostly Grenache based blends.

Can someone chime in on the drinking window for these "value" n.rhones? Average?

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1352 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardking:
Good question! I love Syrah but most of what I drink is from California or Washington. And nearly all the rhones I drink are from the south, which are mostly Grenache based blends.

Can someone chime in on the drinking window for these "value" n.rhones? Average?

Funny, on the way to work today I was having a conversation with myself about drinking windows on newer wines. I've only had pretty recent vintages of the wines I suggested, and I find that they drink very nicely in their youth. Will they improve with age? Maybe. But why wait? They're fantastic now. I mean, I'll leave 2 or 3 tucked away, for science, but I drink them up guilt-free now.

Oh, and crozes-hermitage is known for being a "drink now" sorta wine.

Posts: 4704 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe 8-10 years for a Crozes would be the max (Maybe stretching it?). A little less for a St. Joseph 6-8? I have no experience drinking Cornas.

Mind you, while at Chapoutier their 2009 Crozes and St. Joseph were drinking well (in 2011). So they can be open for business early on.

Posts: 247 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Saint Cosme Cotes du Rhone is 100% Syrah with no oak treatment. Really nice stuff at $13.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chave St. Joseph Offerus I think is in that price range. Go for a 2009 or 2010.

Posts: 1450 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is all great stuff everyone, thank you for all the help!

To Jorgerunfrombulls: I just read that there is a section in the Northern Cotes Du Rhone where an all Syrah wine is made every year, but it is in the AOC of Cotes Du Rhone.

Thanks everyone!

Curt

Posts: 4 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Jan 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
The Saint Cosme Cotes du Rhone is 100% Syrah with no oak treatment. Really nice stuff at $13.

Same producer also makes a Crozes-Hermitage.

Yann Chave is another good one that hasn't been mentioned yet. Le Rouvre, Crozes-Hermitage to be specific.

Domaine Courbis makes good Cornas, but the Champelrose is a little more than $30.

Welcome to the forums Curt.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alain Graillot's Crozes is worth cellaring 3-4 years as the initial acidity will begin to soften a little...

Posts: 797 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So many good values listed above. Really beautiful wines.

I really love these at 5-8 years post vintage. If younger: I almost never love them right out of the bottle at release, and I routinely dump into a decanter in the morning, drink in the evening, which really knocks off the rough edges.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8868 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Chapoutier Crozes-Hermitage “Les Meysonniers”.

I haven't had this wine so i did not mention it, but i just bought a couple of 2010 bottles at CDG airport for EuR 17 each. Seemed like a no brainer to me.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1523 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yann Chave Crozes-Hermitage (the son). Very nice and a very fair value

Posts: 15342 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:

I've heard Yann's sister (Bernard's daughter ) is making wine now too. Has anyone tried that? Yann's Hermitage bottle is not cheap anymore - $75-$100, but is still a great value for Hermitage.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7598 | Location: San Jose | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the lighter end of Northern Rhone Syrah, Delas Crozes-Hermitage Les Launes, esp. the 2009 vintage, is a bargain.

Alain Graillot leads the field in this region, though.

Cheers!

Posts: 8288 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:

I've heard Yann's sister (Bernard's daughter ) is making wine now too. Has anyone tried that? Yann's Hermitage bottle is not cheap anymore - $75-$100, but is still a great value for Hermitage.
i was not aware that the daughter was making wine as well. Yann's Crozes-Hermitage sells for just under $30 here, which is very fairly priced, IMO.

Posts: 15342 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post