Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Amarone wines
 Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
Ive had the Masi at Cafe Giovani in New Orleans with Pork Loin with a rasberry chipolte sauce. Very nice.
 
Posts: 778 | Registered: Sep 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Winetarelli--great summary. The only thing I would add is that even the basic Valpo bottlings of Quintarelli and Forno can be an exciting and, almost, affordable experiences.

IF you enjoy Byzantine DOC battles, the difference between ripasso and ripassa is an interesting story.
 
Posts: 398 | Registered: Apr 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Wintarelli, Are the Allegrini Valpiocello wines any good?

Also...

Would a Zenato Amarone from 2000 be drinking good now or does it need more age?
 
Posts: 8791 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ne Kulturny:
Winetarelli--great summary. The only thing I would add is that even the basic Valpo bottlings of Quintarelli and Forno can be an exciting and, almost, affordable experiences.


Agreed. I also really like the Tomasso Bussola Valpolicella TB -- at ~$37USD it tastes better than most similarly priced Amarones.


quote:
Wintarelli, Are the Allegrini Valpiocello wines any good?

Also...

Would a Zenato Amarone from 2000 be drinking good now or does it need more age?


I think the Allegrini Valpolicella can be a nice lite red wine at $10ish but it is nothing special. I've had a very mixed bag when it comes to the Palazzo della Torre bottling. I have often found off bottles and I sometimes find it very good, other times not so. I do tend to really like the La Grola (not a Valpo, but...) bottling and I deffinitely think it is worth the extra $2 over the Palazzo della Torre. In the general $20 Veneto area I also really like the Zenato Ripassa.

The last time I had an '00 Zenato Amarone was many months ago. One thing I really like about Zenatos is that they tend to be drinkable upon release and I've never had one that was shut down. That said, by "drinkable upon release" I caveat that with a good 2 hour decant. I liked the '00 and I think I rated it around 92 points (which is a good score for me when rating Amarones as my scores never accurately reflect how much I really like the wine). iirc, I felt the '00 was typical Zenato and would probably benefit from a couple of years in the cellar but was deffinitely ready to drink with a good amount of air. FWIW, the '01 Zenato (which is the current release) is uncharacteristally tight right now -- it is still very good, but it is the tightest Zenato I've ever encountered.


"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields
 
Posts: 7678 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Other good producers are Masi (for their upper level stuff like the Serego Alighieri) Mazzi, Brigaldala, and Castellani I Castie


Thanks for the excellent info, Winetarelli.

Just for the record, the producer you mention last above is Michele Castellani & Figli... And there are two collections made by Castellani: one called "I CASTEI" and the other called "CA' DEL PIPA".

Details below, just as a reference point for what kinds of wine a good producer in Veneto makes relative to all the types you described:

"CA' DEL PIPA" COLLECTION:
---"MONTE CRISTI" AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO D.O.C.
---"CINQUE STELLE" AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO D.O.C.
---"SAN MICHELE" VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO SUPERIORE RIPASSO D.O.C.
---"BORGATA" VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO D.O.C.
---"IL CASALE" RECIOTO DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO D.O.C.
---"COLLE OLIVI" SOAVE CLASSICO D.O.C.
---"CAPITEL" CABERNET SAUVIGNON I.G.T.
---"SERGIO" ROSSO VERONESE I.G.T.
---"SERAL" CORVINA VERONESE I.G.T.


"I CASTEI" COLLECTION:
---"CAMPO CASALIN" AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO D.O.C.
---"MONTE FASENARA" RECIOTO DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO D.O.C.
---"COSTAMARAN" VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO SUPERIORE RIPASSO D.O.C.

And I guess he used to make a "Campo Casalin" Recioto in his I Castei collection as well, as I had a 1995 bottle of it. Desert style.
 
Posts: 4066 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The Allegrini bottlings Winetarelli mentioned use some of the regional grapes used in Amarone:

Palazzo delle Torre blend:
--Corvina
--Rondinella
--Sangiovese

La Grola blend:
--Corvina
--Rondinella
--Syrah
--Sangiovese

I think they're both excellent daily wines.
 
Posts: 4066 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lentini:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Other good producers are Masi (for their upper level stuff like the Serego Alighieri) Mazzi, Brigaldala, and Castellani I Castie


Thanks for the excellent info, Winetarelli.

Just for the record, the producer you mention last above is Michele Castellani & Figli... And there are two collections made by Castellani: one called "I CASTEI" and the other called "CA' DEL PIPA".

Details below, just as a reference point for what kinds of wine a good producer in Veneto makes relative to all the types you described:

"CA' DEL PIPA" COLLECTION:
---"MONTE CRISTI" AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO D.O.C.
---"CINQUE STELLE" AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO D.O.C.
---"SAN MICHELE" VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO SUPERIORE RIPASSO D.O.C.
---"BORGATA" VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO D.O.C.
---"IL CASALE" RECIOTO DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO D.O.C.
---"COLLE OLIVI" SOAVE CLASSICO D.O.C.
---"CAPITEL" CABERNET SAUVIGNON I.G.T.
---"SERGIO" ROSSO VERONESE I.G.T.
---"SERAL" CORVINA VERONESE I.G.T.


"I CASTEI" COLLECTION:
---"CAMPO CASALIN" AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO D.O.C.
---"MONTE FASENARA" RECIOTO DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO D.O.C.
---"COSTAMARAN" VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO SUPERIORE RIPASSO D.O.C.

And I guess he used to make a "Campo Casalin" Recioto in his I Castei collection as well, as I had a 1995 bottle of it. Desert style.


Thanks!

That is a producer I'm new to. futronic shared a bottle of the '98 I Castie Campo Casalin Amarone with me last week and I really enjoyed it, the other producers I mentioned I have more experience with.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: winetarelli,


"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields
 
Posts: 7678 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lentini:
The Allegrini bottlings Winetarelli mentioned use some of the regional grapes used in Amarone:

Palazzo delle Torre blend:
--Corvina
--Rondinella
--Sangiovese

La Grola blend:
--Corvina
--Rondinella
--Syrah
--Sangiovese

I think they're both excellent daily wines.


One interesting thing... I *think* the Palazzo della Torre was technically a Valpolicella through the '98 vintage and then became an IGT in '99. I haven't been following the Veneto as closely as I should have but I wonder if there is a trend toward IGTs there right now?


"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields
 
Posts: 7678 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
From the Mitolo website:
Winemaking
20% of the grapes were left to dry on the 10kg drying racks for 8 weeks in the traditional Amarone manner to concentrate flavour. The fruit for Jester is fermented on skins for 5 to 6 days at a cool temperature to enhance the pure berry fruit. The wine is then pressed and undergoes partial barrel fermentation. A natural malolactic fermentation is completed before the wine is racked.



So are they speaking incorrectly here, referring to ammarone being a style?

I am just trying to learn.

Pat
 
Posts: 22 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: Nov 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I think you're just misinterpreting their language... They don't mean in the traditional "Amarone manner"... they mean in the traditional Amarone "manner".

Like saying he flew in the air in the traditional Superman manner. Doesn't mean "Superman" is a method of flying... it means, Superman flies fast, and he flew fast.
 
Posts: 4066 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
So this means they are doing what they do in Amarone. I think I got it. Thanks, Pat
 
Posts: 22 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: Nov 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 


© Wine Spectator 2013