WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    True or False? (Not a Poll)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True or False? (Not a Poll)
 Login/Join 
posted
just curious?
Have you ever bought an unknown wine because of a "cool" label or the bottle style. I Just purchased a bottle of Museum Real Reserva (Cigales, Tempranillo) because it has a really cool metal label. Though I have not fully accepted buyers remorse it seems obvious that I probably spent too much and I have become another number for the efforts of wine marketing.
I should have followed my instincts.. Oh well there's plenty of Manchego left over.

"A bottle of wine contains more advice then any self help book in the world"

Posts: 1031 | Location: Around Boston | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have, several times early into the hobby. I'm guessing plenty of regular Dom drinkers sought out the Warhol label.

Posts: 5358 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, but as a college student I bought Lancers over Mateus because of the bottle. I'm sure a lot of people bought 1973 Mouton because of the label, knowing the wine was lousy.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sade58,

I have if the wine was only $30 +/- as I'm a complete sucker for art and design. The wine becomes secondary to me. Red Face

I'm so impressed with the avant garde movement in Spain, and will grab a bottle based on the label. I'm not interested in the wine per se, ( may never open) but so appreciate the artistic eye and creative energy.

Posts: 29984 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never actually. But I've bought books and other things that way.

BTW - that Museum from Cigales isn't too bad.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2562 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
I'm guessing plenty of regular Dom drinkers sought out the Warhol label.

Andy's artistic influence has moved the art world more than anyone could have predicted in the last 50 years. It is virtually impossible to walk into any gallery in SoHo, Chelsea, Los Angeles, Santa Fe, Berlin, Vienna, London et al and not see his lasting mark.

Posts: 29984 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that several years ago, I fell for the packaging and purchased a Pere Anselme "Le Fiole" CdP.

Posts: 2665 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the day (middle third of the '90's?) I bought a bottle of wine called "Black and Blue" because of the cool bottle and label.

The wine was quite good.

The wine maker no longer produces anything that shows up in stores, so it turned out to be my only opportunity at that level, as well.

There is still a "Black and Blue," but different wines methinks.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1273 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say this with no small amount of shame, but put a naked woman on a label, and I'm likely to give it a try.
Zanzibar Sandra, for example...

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6732 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guilty...

I remember buying a bottle of Belle Glos "Clark & Telephone Vineyard" Pinot simply because I liked the look of half the bottle being dipped in wax. Turns out, I actually like the wine. Good luck, I guess.

Posts: 1410 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
Guilty...

I remember buying a bottle of Belle Glos "Clark & Telephone Vineyard" Pinot simply because I liked the look of half the bottle being dipped in wax. Turns out, I actually like the wine. Good luck, I guess.

+1 hahaha.

I've been sucked into Heavy bottles/paper wrapper, sometimes as gift. I've even bought bottles because of free cork screw, but never a impulse buy based on the label design.

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1422 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.

PH

Posts: 14935 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Piper Heidsieck rare 2002. probably wouldn't have bought it if not of the design of the bottle....

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. My wife on the other hand…

Posts: 3540 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only once. Had a BevMo gift card I won in a raffle + was attending a dinner with a theme of "non-French" bubbly = bought a bottle of cava b/c it had a fancy metal contraption for a label. Was nowhere close to the worst $25 bottle of fermented grape juice I'd ever had.

Posts: 770 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
No.

PH
+1

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well since woman buy more wine than men it has been discussed that in the crowded wine world that exists you have to make your wine stand out on the shelf. Woman love attention grabbing labels. I contantly get "I am looking for a cool label"

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4921 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a rule of thumb that I try to use: never buy a bottle that has a picture of an animal on the label.

Posts: 6417 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am probably guilty though I can remember a specific wine. The Mrs. has about an 75% success rate by label alone these are bottles in the $15 to $30 range.

Posts: 95 | Location: South Central (Pa) | Registered: Aug 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
Reminds me of a rule of thumb that I try to use: never buy a bottle that has a picture of an animal on the label.

Have you tried La Spinetta?

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”—Winston Churchill”

Posts: 3470 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Sep 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes and no. I've made a choice between two bottles based on the label, but I've often not purchased bottles based on the label or even the name. I have been tempted many times by attractive expensive bottles, like Orin Swift Mercury Head, but have been able to refrain.

Sitting around with nothing to do is great until you have to do it. - Dave's daughter

Posts: 426 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Aug 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post