WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2012: Champagne of the year.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2012: Champagne of the year.
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Im holding off as I have a 85' Krug slated for a few days....currently the 90' Krug is at the top of the list.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2729 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm holding off as well.

Will open a few potential gems the next couple of days, but I'm thinking I already have enjoyed my Champagne of the year.

Posts: 30050 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the last two years, I'd have had a bunch to list. 2012 has been a slow Champagne year for me. Probably the excellent but unready 2002 Pierre Peters Les Chetillons.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
It's good to see several votes for Krug '95 and '98. I have a few of each in my cellar, but haven't popped one yet. Patience, patience, patience...

I would drink the '98 before the '95, Redhawk.

Most certainly

and way before the 96' Smile

Thank you all for the tip. Unfortunately, no '96 around here Frown

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3069 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not so far away, Redhawk (Grand Rapids), but hey, nothings closer than your keyboard.
Wine-Searcher is your friend Wink

Posts: 15466 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a bottle over the weekend which tops my list:

N.V. Jacques Selosse Champagne Brut Grand Cru Blanc des Blancs Initiale

VM

Posts: 12223 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:

VM

dare I say it, but the selosse tops the krug mv imho.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11926 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:

VM

dare I say it, but the selosse tops the krug mv imho.

VERY different wines...Chardonnay vs. Pinot based wine with complete barrel fermentation and long lees aging.

Both excellent wines, and I do hope Selosse does not gain too much hype. Wink

Posts: 30050 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

... I do hope Selosse does not gain too much hype. Wink

+1

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2300 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posted Dec 28, 2012 12:38 PM Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:

As a general observation, when Krug changed the Grande Cuvee label around 2005 there seemed to be a decline in the quality of this bottling for while. In the last couple of years it seems to be back to its old standard.

While I have no unequivocal evidence to support this, I believe I know the reason for this improvement: I used to buy 2 or 3 bottles of Krug GC every year for a while, but after the label change I cut back to 1 bottle a year, and in a couple of years I even bought none. It didn't take long for the economic impact of this to hit Krug pretty hard, and I'm fairly certain they got the message loud and clear, finally responding exactly as I knew they would be forced to do.

Yes, yes, you are all very welcome. It was nothing, really.

This is the funniest thing I've read on this board all year. Thanks Seaquam.

Good thing we have Seaquam on the case!

Last night's 1990 Krug was my 2012 Champagne of the Year. The 96 Dom and 96 Salon followed a few steps behind. Happy New Year!

Posts: 1897 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1995 Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millenaires tied with the Bollinger La Grande Annee 2002.

But honorable mention must go to all the bottles enjoyed, they all were pleasing.

Posts: 1658 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing has held a candle to the 1996 Salon on New Year's Eve. Wow.......

"One barrel of wine can work more miracles than a church full of saints." - Italian proverb.

Posts: 374 | Location: Carlsbad, CA., USA | Registered: Jul 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Racer117:
Nothing has held a candle to the 1996 Salon on New Year's Eve. Wow.......
^This^ Need to rescind my vote for the Bouchard.......

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not so far away, Redhawk (Grand Rapids), but hey, nothings closer than your keyboard.

Thanks for the tip! But the tariff is quite steep. Hard to pull the trigger on that. Is it worth it?

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3069 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1990 Krug
1996 Salon

Posts: 913 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks for the tip! But the tariff is quite steep. Hard to pull the trigger on that. Is it worth it?

Hard to say. It's more than double what you could pick it up for on release, but...... if you want a stunning bottle to drink in the future it's probably worth biting the bullet. I can predict with some certainty that if you get one (or more) and have the patience to wait for them you won't regret the purchase. Just depends on your tolerance for pain right now.

Low WineSearcher is currently $350 if you can get shipments, fwiw....
PH

Posts: 15036 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

Hard to say. It's more than double what you could pick it up for on release, but...... if you want a stunning bottle to drink in the future it's probably worth biting the bullet. I can predict with some certainty that if you get one (or more) and have the patience to wait for them you won't regret the purchase. Just depends on your tolerance for pain right now.

Low WineSearcher is currently $350 if you can get shipments, fwiw....
PH

"Is it worth it"? Such a personal, subjective, question. Thus, why I tended to ponder just how to best respond. Meanwhile, PH responded very correctly. I know that I've followed the pricing on this wine the past 5 yrs and it does not go down. Ever. A direct testiment to supply and demand. It is a superior vintage of this wine.

My take: Some years back I picked up a few '95s at $165 each as the '96s were 'more expensive' at $225. I though that I could likely eventually find it cheaper. I've regretted the decision to not just get both, or the '96, ever since.

Posts: 15466 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
1996 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut La Grande Dame
2002 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Rosé Brut

Here's hoping that I need to update this post after New Year's Eve! Smile

Thanks to Racer 117, I need to (happily) rescind my vote as well in favor of the '96 Salon! Smile

Posts: 2938 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm okay with multiple selections as I'm not too sure I could select a single bottle this year.

I've not seen your selection(s) yet, w+a.
Do tell Wink

posted Hide Post
1996 Bollinger Francaises Vieilles Vignes. A perfect bottle of wine.

Runner-up, 1959 Krug.

I really want to taste a '59 Krug Collection this year. Banana

posted Hide Post
quote:
I really want to taste a '59 Krug Collection this year. Banana

Whip out that American Express Centurion Card and get after it big boy. Spit

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13475 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1996 Bollinger Francaises Vieilles Vignes. A perfect bottle of wine.

Runner-up, 1959 Krug.

The 1959 Krug was awesome, but where was I for the Bollinger Francaises? Frown

Posts: 3 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jan 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post