WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2012: Champagne of the year.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2012: Champagne of the year.
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
'82 PJ Fleur de Champagne WOTY
'88 Louis Roederer Cristal
'89 PJ Fleur de Champagne rosé
'95 Veuve Clicquot Gold Label reserve (surprisingly good)
'96 Dom Perignon rosé (still a youngster)

Posts: 643 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1990 Krug is the winner for me.

1996 Pierre Peter Les Chetilon
1995/96 Salon
Cedric Bouchard Roses de Jeanne La Boloree
1988/95 Krug

Posts: 1209 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Feb 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2002 dom ruinart blanc de blancs - outstanding!

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently the rank is:

2000 Krug Champagne Clos du Mesnil
1989 Krug Champagne Brut Collection
1998 Krug Champagne Brut
The Ruinart Blanc de Blancs and 2005 Pierre Péters Champagne Cuvée Spéciale Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru Les Chetillons also deserve special mention.

There may be a bottle or two opened at an offline this weekend that gets thrown in the mix.

Posts: 1488 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Pinot Blanc Champagne Blanc de Blancs La Bolorée

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
2005 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Pinot Blanc Champagne Blanc de Blancs La Bolorée

For a man I really think hates Champagne as we know it today, he is a master winemaker.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wine+art,

Posts: 29561 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either

NV Krug
1995 Salon, Le Mesnil

Posts: 9659 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting the amount of NV Krug post. I have not bought a NV Krug in a couple of years as I found them overrated recently.

Perhaps time to reconsider.

Posts: 29561 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seaquam opened the bottle of Krug I had so I don't know how long he had it in his cellar.

No argument about it being overrated relative to the price, but that wasn't the topic of this thread. Wink

Posts: 9659 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Interesting the amount of NV Krug post. I have not bought a NV Krug in a couple of years as I found them overrated recently.

Perhaps time to reconsider.

While I've been of similar opinion in the past, recent (past year or so) disgorgements have been showing very well...

Posts: 15113 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1999 Philipponnat Champagne Brut Clos des Goisses

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 5970 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
Currently the rank is:

1998 Krug Champagne Brut

Same bottles, but slightly different order:

1998 Krug Champagne Brut

Posts: 3433 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1996 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut La Grande Dame
2002 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Rosé Brut

Here's hoping that I need to update this post after New Year's Eve! Smile

Posts: 2880 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Seaquam opened the bottle of Krug I had so I don't know how long he had it in his cellar.

No argument about it being overrated relative to the price, but that wasn't the topic of this thread. Wink

That bottle was from the 2010 Christmas release with classy gift box. Who could resist the gift box?

As a general observation, when Krug changed the Grande Cuvee label around 2005 there seemed to be a decline in the quality of this bottling for while. In the last couple of years it seems to be back to its old standard.

While I have no unequivocal evidence to support this, I believe I know the reason for this improvement: I used to buy 2 or 3 bottles of Krug GC every year for a while, but after the label change I cut back to 1 bottle a year, and in a couple of years I even bought none. It didn't take long for the economic impact of this to hit Krug pretty hard, and I'm fairly certain they got the message loud and clear, finally responding exactly as I knew they would be forced to do.

Yes, yes, you are all very welcome. It was nothing, really.

Cheers!

Posts: 8126 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, and my Champagne of the year was 1990 André Beaufort Champagne Elaboré par Saint Jean-Baptiste Grand Cru Ambonnnay, interesting and unique.

Both 1996 and 1998 Krug are better wines, but that was the one that generated the most discussion and, I think, overall pleasure this year.

Cheers!

Posts: 8126 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:

As a general observation, when Krug changed the Grande Cuvee label around 2005 there seemed to be a decline in the quality of this bottling for while. In the last couple of years it seems to be back to its old standard.

While I have no unequivocal evidence to support this, I believe I know the reason for this improvement: I used to buy 2 or 3 bottles of Krug GC every year for a while, but after the label change I cut back to 1 bottle a year, and in a couple of years I even bought none. It didn't take long for the economic impact of this to hit Krug pretty hard, and I'm fairly certain they got the message loud and clear, finally responding exactly as I knew they would be forced to do.

This is the funniest thing I've read on this board all year. Thanks Seaquam.

Posts: 3433 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In this order;

1996 Taittinger Comtes
1996 Veuve Clicquot Grande Dame
1990 Pol Roger Winston Churchill
1996 Duval-Leroy Femme

Posts: 1096 | Location: The OC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:

That bottle was from the 2010 Christmas release with classy gift box. Who could resist the gift box?

Olivier Krug is a keen and responsive owner. Well played, Seaquam, we are all in your indebtedness. I shall buy a couple of bottle this afternoon.

posted Hide Post
Best:

1996 Salon Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs
1997 Salon Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs
1998 Krug Champagne Brut
1995 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon
1988 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon

Most Disappointing:

1976 Krug Champagne Brut x 2

Posts: 1236 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's good to see several votes for Krug '95 and '98. I have a few of each in my cellar, but haven't popped one yet. Patience, patience, patience...

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 2888 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
It's good to see several votes for Krug '95 and '98. I have a few of each in my cellar, but haven't popped one yet. Patience, patience, patience...

I would drink the '98 before the '95, Redhawk.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Most certainly

Posts: 15113 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1985 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Charlie
1990 Taittinger Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne

Posts: 2104 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
quote:

Most certainly

and way before the 96' Smile

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
1985 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Charlie
1990 Taittinger Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne

Very nice.

-------------