WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2012: Champagne of the year.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2012: Champagne of the year.
 Login/Join 
posted
I'm okay with multiple selections as I'm not too sure I could select a single bottle this year.

Posts: 30013 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Georges Laval Les Chenes Cumieres Brut Nature

Posts: 5886 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
COTY:1996 Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill

Very narrowly beating out a very stellar bottle of

1990 Charles Heidsieck (a wine brought by mangiare to maybe the best offline I've attended. It opened the eyes of non-champagne lovers and made more than a few converts).

Other Runners-Up:
- 1999 Salon (10 years too young but wonderful none the less)
- 1998 Duval-Leroy Petit Meslier Authentis (winner of the most unique champagne of the year. The forefront flavour being beef blood)
- 1997 Nicolas Feuillatte Palmes d'Or

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rob_Sutherland,

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2244 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1996 Pol Roger Brut Chardonnay. Excellent and still very youthful. Probably won't be drinking any of my other 96 PR's for a little while if I can keep my hands off them. But between this and the SWC report that's going to be tough.

Posts: 2297 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1988 Dom Perignon
1995 Dom Perignon
2002 Bollinger Grand Annee

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 680 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Full disclaimer - I represent this wine. That said, it has easily been the best bottle of bubbles I have tasted this year:

2002 Taitinger Comtes de Champagne

Posts: 2259 | Location: Napa | Registered: Oct 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1988 Krug

Also rans:

1996 Dom Perignon
1990 Krug
1985 Champagne Charlie

Many others. A good year for Champagne here.

PH

Posts: 14980 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1979 Veuve Cliquot
1984 Dom P
1974 Dom P
NV J Selosse

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11722 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With some days left in the year, you boys are really chomping at the bit to declare! Smile

Posts: 15386 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Notice the original poster hasn't declared yet. It should be onee hell of a NYE party wherever he is!

I don't drink a lot of high end Champagne. Probably my favorite one this year was 1998 Henriot Millesime. One of my favorite Champagne experiences was pouring from a magnum of NV Feuilatte as we were approaching hour #10 of an offline. Yes, hour 10. Some of us were somehow still going strong...

Posts: 5374 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
1979 Veuve Cliquot
1984 Dom P
1974 Dom P
NV J Selosse

Left off the Selosse we had -

Posts: 5886 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
1979 Veuve Cliquot
1984 Dom P
1974 Dom P
NV J Selosse

am I reading the same post? ;-)

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11722 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
1979 Veuve Cliquot
1984 Dom P
1974 Dom P
NV J Selosse

I left the Selosse off of my post naming the Georges Laval- would have listed them together

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
With some days left in the year, you boys are really chomping at the bit to declare! Smile

I'll drink well until the New Year, but I'm confident that my COTY will hold.... Unless someone surprises me, of course.

PH

Posts: 14980 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't drink a lot of Champagne this year, but the 1998 Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill was probably my favorite this year.

When in doubt, open another bottle.

Posts: 2604 | Location: Silver Spring MD (Near DC) | Registered: Nov 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could change since I have one more offline scheduled for Saturday. But so far:

2002 Pol Roger Champagne Brut Rose Extra Cuvee De Reserve (VM94)

VM

Posts: 12171 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last March, 85 Veuve Clicquot rare vintage Rose.. wow!

"A bottle of wine contains more advice then any self help book in the world"

Posts: 1032 | Location: Around Boston | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1990 Krug Champagne Brut WOTY
1990 Krug Champagne Brut
1995 Salon, Champagne, Le Mesnil
2000 Taittinger Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne

Posts: 15386 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 René Geoffroy Champagne Empreinte Brut

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8875 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
1979 Veuve Cliquot
1984 Dom P
1974 Dom P
NV J Selosse

I left the Selosse off of my post naming the Georges Laval- would have listed them together

oh yes, a stunning wine, cleaned out my local wine store of it's last 2 bottles!

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
So far,
NV Krug (not sure of disgorgement date, but not the most recent), edges 2000 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne by a hair.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
So far,
NV Krug (not sure of disgorgement date, but not the most recent), edges 2000 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne by a hair.

While recent disgorgdments of the NV Krug have been superb, the Taittinger will, IMHO, widen the margin by a noticeable distance over time. While drinking well now, this is one to age.

The best NV Krug I've opened was my most recent (a week or so ago of one I purchased a year ago). I find the quality is quite variable depending the disgorgement. While I haven't always thought this, at the moment, they seem worth the coin.

posted Hide Post
95 Krug for me. I think its drinking great right now and better than the 96, although I think the 96 will be better in time. 90 Krug was up there for me as well, but I prefer the 95 for its youth and freshness which is my personal preference for Champagne. Would have loved to taste the 90 5 years ago to compare to were the 95 is now.

Posts: 6426 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sade58:
Last March, 85 Veuve Clicquot rare vintage Rose.. wow!
I brought this to a dinner with the NYC crew a 2-3 years ago and it made a few WOTY lists back then too.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1995 Duval-Leroy Femme.

Posts: 9380 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post