WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    How long are Lillet and Campari good for after opening?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long are Lillet and Campari good for after opening?
 Login/Join 
posted
I enjoy a Bond martini or a negroni once awhile, but the 750ml bottles of Lillet and Campari are too much for me to consume, and they change color and taste over time.

How long in general have you found that they are good for after opening?

Does it make sense to keep them in the fridge to last longer?

Anyone with experience or knowledge?

Posts: 76 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Apr 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a period of time, depending on the alcohol content, the two things that will happen is first, the alcohol will evaporate and second is that it will turn to sugar. Both of these will take quite a bit of time. I have a bottle of Dekyper Peach Schnapps that has to be at least 25 years old and it still tastes like peach however I can't attest for the alcohol percentige. We had a bottle of Bacardi Rum that was in our pantry for about 30 years and it was still good. Taste it and you will know whether it is still good or not, it won't kill you.

Posts: 122 | Registered: Oct 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The alcohol turns to sugar? No, it won't.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jul 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have NEVER had a bottle of Campari long enough to answer your question. Wink

Campari, soda and twist of orange = Big Grin

Posts: 30081 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Campari and Pernod...The only issue is empty bottles.

Posts: 6988 | Location: ]0^0[ | Registered: Aug 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually only have Campari in the summer time so I've straddled years with no issues.

Waiting for kids to grow up so I can get back to attending offlines

Posts: 1515 | Location: Boston MA | Registered: Mar 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you guys think Compari is best used?

I am not bringing wine to social events anymore Roll Eyes Frown . I was thinking of bringing a bottle of Compari to a Memerial Day Barbeque.

A few of the recipes I saw were...

1/3 Compari, 1/3 Soda Water, 1/3 Grapefruit Juice.

1/4 Compari, 3/4 Grapefruit Juice.

Compari on the rocks.

What do the rest of you do?

What is Pernod, does it have an anise taste comparable to Jagermeister?

Posts: 8685 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Pernod is star anise based, similar to Pastis or Absenthe.

quote:
Originally posted by spo:

I am not bringing wine to social events anymore Roll Eyes Frown . I was thinking of bringing a bottle of Compari to a Memerial Day Barbeque.

Compari on the rocks.

What is Pernod, does it have an anise taste comparable to Jagermeister?

Lifes too short to drink bad wine!!

Posts: 1171 | Location: Arcadia, MI | Registered: Aug 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Campari spo, Campari.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3147 | Location: Cowboys Stadium | Registered: Feb 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recipie ArieS, recipe.

posted Hide Post
Sorry but I don't drink this crap Smile

_________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3147 | Location: Cowboys Stadium | Registered: Feb 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are not holding out on me ArieS are you?

posted Hide Post
Nope, the taste is really nasty to me. Smile

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by spo:

Compari on the rocks.

I usually obtain Campari cocktails per others' orders, take one look, take one whiff, and pour it on the floor before I vomit

Posts: 3010 | Location: San Luis Obispo, CA | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So maybe it is not a crowd pleaser?