WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Cellar Tracker New vs Classic
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cellar Tracker New vs Classic
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I usually get used to change pretty quick, but this new version is giving me fits. I really like searching my own cellar, and when I do searches off the main page, it brings up a list of every CT wine, and I can't figure out how to just have it show mine without doing the full search and then removing the "All Users" filter from the search results.

I also don't like not being able to click on a link from any page that gives me the Drinkability Report or Pending Deliveries that used to be on the left side - those are two of the pages I use most.

I do like the general "look" of it and I'll keep giving it a go, and maybe read some of the FAQ's, etc. that were provided, but it's really not convenient to spend a lot of time looking into that - I wish it were easier right off the bat.

Posts: 3223 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vinaigre:
I use my IPad all the time and also find the new version less fun to use on it.
I do like the new version on my laptop..

An issue I find annoying, when you have a list of wines, you have to click the "more" button and not the wine name.

My 2 Cents

Hide the side panel.

Or do what I have begged people to do and please read the top switching tips:
https://www.cellartracker.com/content.asp?iContent=41

Posts: 741 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
I usually get used to change pretty quick, but this new version is giving me fits. I really like searching my own cellar, and when I do searches off the main page, it brings up a list of every CT wine, and I can't figure out how to just have it show mine without doing the full search and then removing the "All Users" filter from the search results.

I also don't like not being able to click on a link from any page that gives me the Drinkability Report or Pending Deliveries that used to be on the left side - those are two of the pages I use most.

I do like the general "look" of it and I'll keep giving it a go, and maybe read some of the FAQ's, etc. that were provided, but it's really not convenient to spend a lot of time looking into that - I wish it were easier right off the bat.

Drinkability and Pending are both off the main menu once you click MY CELLAR.

There is a problem that the search dropdown seems to be landing on the global WINES versus MY CELLAR more than it is meant to. We are looking into that. That said, before you search, just look at the focus menu and figure out if it says WINES or MY CELLAR. It's actually not any different than the old site except there we had a ONLY SHOW MINE checkbox.

Posts: 741 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using the 'new' site as default since June of this year, and almost never went back to the old one.

Well done Eric!

I actually followed your advise and have gone trough the 'top switching tips'. I thouhgt I knew the site by know...
The greatest new functionality I 'discovered' is the shopping cart. This concept is realy a great improvement of my workflow!

Thanks a lot for your continuing effort to improve CT. Your dedication has made this one of the few online services I am more than happy to pay for.

Albert Jochems
- life is to short to drink bad wines -

Posts: 719 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Albert, thanks so much!

And yes, the shopping cart is just freaking awesome. (And sorry if I broke my own wrist patting myself on the back, but that one is just so useful.)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eric LeVine:
quote:
Originally posted by Vinaigre:
I use my IPad all the time and also find the new version less fun to use on it.
I do like the new version on my laptop..

An issue I find annoying, when you have a list of wines, you have to click the "more" button and not the wine name.

My 2 Cents

Hide the side panel.

Or do what I have begged people to do and please read the top switching tips:
https://www.cellartracker.com/content.asp?iContent=41

Sorry Eric.....
Bang Bang

JL

Posts: 1679 | Location: Montréal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "like" thing seems kind of useless. Is there some actual utility to it?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:

I agree -- I can tell if someone likes the wine by their tasting note and/or score.

Also, the ability to comment on tasting notes seems like it will just open up the flood gates for shit flinging.

I'm trying to like this new design, however, I prefer the streamlined simplicity of the old design.

Posts: 1299 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
quote:

I agree -- I can tell if someone likes the wine by their tasting note and/or score.

Also, the ability to comment on tasting notes seems like it will just open up the flood gates for shit flinging.

I'm trying to like this new design, however, I prefer the streamlined simplicity of the old design.

ditto on the simplicity and ease of the old design

Posts: 1896 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:

Drinkability and Pending are both off the main menu once you click MY CELLAR.

There is a problem that the search dropdown seems to be landing on the global WINES versus MY CELLAR more than it is meant to. We are looking into that. That said, before you search, just look at the focus menu and figure out if it says WINES or MY CELLAR. It's actually not any different than the old site except there we had a ONLY SHOW MINE checkbox.

Eric - I very much appreciate your response on this. I got your point on the search function and choosing My Cellar as opposed to Wines, and I agree - not much different than the old version.

I'm still having trouble with figuring out the ability to get to Drinkability & Pending easily, though. I'll have to keep messing around with it (whenever that "free time" finally appears for me), and it sounds like Jochems had some good luck with the "top switching tips", so hopefully I can check that out, too. It's just a matter of finding some time...

Posts: 3223 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I could answer more substantively, but the Wine Spectator has now respectfully asked that I no longer engage in any way in any thread on CellarTracker other than to ask you to contact me via my own website or forum. Sorry folks.

posted Hide Post
Dislike, dislike, dislike the new version.

Adding a new wine was extremely difficult, time consuming and confusing. Many other changes I did not like either.

VM

Posts: 12285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish I could answer more substantively, but the Wine Spectator has now respectfully asked that I no longer engage in any way in any thread on CellarTracker other than to ask you to contact me via my own website or forum. Sorry folks.

Well, I'm certainly glad they were respectful. Being the muckraker that I am, I think a new thread is in order.

PH

Posts: 15115 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:

Adding a new wine was extremely difficult, time consuming and confusing. Many other changes I did not like either.

VM

I've switched back to classic. That wasn't a very long trial on my part I realize.

Is there a way to enter a tasting note when you consume a bottle? I had to do it separately, which was annoying.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Confused It's a bit odd to me that WS is effectively encouraging us to spend time on a different forum. C'est la vie.

BTW, no love here for the new version, but not as much dislike as before.

Posts: 2949 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
quote:

Confused It's a bit odd to me that WS is effectively encouraging us to spend time on a different forum. C'est la vie.

BTW, no love here for the new version, but not as much dislike as before.

I agree...very strange.

I'm still having issues with the new version, but will keep giving it a go for a bit longer. One thing I just noticed tonight is that I can't easily do a search of "All Data" for my wine like I used to do in the original version from the front page. I will often go into CT just to search a certain winery to find all of the inwes I had at some point. But, now if I choose the My Cellar option in the search, it defaults to my in stock collection, then I have to change the filter from In My Cellar to All Wines. I think that's just another example of the "extra clicks" needed in the new version, until I can hopefully find a quicker way to do it.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Respectfully? It is not very respectful to kick somebody off for providing information the readers have requested. So nice to see WS going down the ebob route to irrelevance through paranoia.
Now I am not going to be respectful, whoever made this decision at WS is a f'ing moron.

As for CT, I will use the classic version as long as I can. HATE the look of the new version. How it works, I don't know as I have no desire to use it.

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”—Winston Churchill”

Posts: 3470 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Sep 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

VM

VM, takes me seconds to add a new wine but I've been using the new version for well over a year. Once I learned the new version it has been a piece of cake since.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13548 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

VM

I've switched back to classic. That wasn't a very long trial on my part I realize.

Is there a way to enter a tasting note when you consume a bottle? I had to do it separately, which was annoying.

Yes, select the option to Drink Bottle. On the next screen you can select which bottle in the cellar you wish to drink, the date, whether you want to Add a Public Tasting Note, etc... As you select options (checkboxes) the screen changes right in front of you adding or removing stuff to save real estate.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13548 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
quote:

VM

Yes, select the option to Drink Bottle. On the next screen you can select which bottle in the cellar you wish to drink, the date, whether you want to Add a Public Tasting Note, etc... As you select options (checkboxes) the screen changes right in front of you adding or removing stuff to save real estate.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Clunky.

- Milton

posted Hide Post
Folks, I have good answers for every single question and issue mentioned since my last post, but no one has asked me via the other requested avenues.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:

VM

VM, takes me seconds to add a new wine but I've been using the new version for well over a year. Once I learned the new version it has been a piece of cake since.

I'm talking about a wine which has never been entered into the system by anyone. Basically creating a new wine from scratch. There were shortcuts in the old system which allowed me to create a new wine in a fraction of the time. Just don't see a way to do it as quickly in the new system.

VM

Posts: 12285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also the new system runs at half the speed as the classic on my iphone.

VM

posted Hide Post
Runs slow and crashes my browser

Posts: 5962 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the runs slow. For now I'm using the Classic version.

Posts: 3663 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post