WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Cellar Tracker New vs Classic
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cellar Tracker New vs Classic
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be even nicer if the WS collaborated and no paying customer of the WS would have to copy and paste reviews into CT? (We can dream...)

Posts: 741 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I checked out the new version about a year ago and didn't really like it. This thread prompted me to spend some time on the new CT over the past 24 hours, and I gotta say, I like it. The tweaks that have been made have really improved my experience. I'm sold!

And Eric, I absolutely agree that WS should integrate with CT.

Posts: 129 | Registered: Nov 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been checking out the new version off and on and I do like it. Easy to navigate.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one thing that I would like to see and it bugs me that I can't do is this:

I use the wish list function as an auction short list. An auction comes up and I make a wishlist of the lots I'm interested in with my prices (or the initial bid). There is no way to either see or export the average community prices and average recent auction price for the list. I can go look (and with the new side bar, hover over) each wine and see it, but I can't make a list and have columns with these there to see what is a good deal or not. Very annoying!

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2368 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
I've been checking out the new version off and on and I do like it. Easy to navigate.

Yup. No problems here.

PH

Posts: 15118 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:

I use the wish list function as an auction short list. An auction comes up and I make a wishlist of the lots I'm interested in with my prices (or the initial bid). There is no way to either see or export the average community prices and average recent auction price for the list. I can go look (and with the new side bar, hover over) each wine and see it, but I can't make a list and have columns with these there to see what is a good deal or not. Very annoying!

Rob, in both the old and the new sites, none of the community pricing info is joined into that view. I can certainly consider that for the future, but it would be entirely new to both sites.

Posts: 741 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old school = old fart.

Like the old version, but have not really givemn the new a real try out.

As for the wine edit feature. There are a few bugs here. Got a new wine from Fox Run or somewhere else,2011 Kore Syrah and could not change the wine [grape]. Only allowed a 'basic std' choice. Even going to a search for the grape, searching for a grape that started with "C" only gave me the basic. So my wine in CT is not as it should be.

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6350 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eric LeVine:
quote:

Rob, in both the old and the new sites, none of the community pricing info is joined into that view. I can certainly consider that for the future, but it would be entirely new to both sites.

I know you can't do it in either the new or old. right now I export the wish list and then click into each one in tun and hard code the info into the open excel spreadsheet. PITA...

I do think the functionality of being able to do what I mentioned would be of great use to anyone that it a regular at auctions. I know I do one for every auction I look at even though it is time consuming in many ways.

Posts: 2368 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
Old school = old fart.

Like the old version, but have not really givemn the new a real try out.

As for the wine edit feature. There are a few bugs here. Got a new wine from Fox Run or somewhere else,2011 Kore Syrah and could not change the wine [grape]. Only allowed a 'basic std' choice. Even going to a search for the grape, searching for a grape that started with "C" only gave me the basic. So my wine in CT is not as it should be.

Ed, filtering options.

https://www.cellartracker.com/...sp?VarietalQuestions

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know you can't do it in either the new or old. right now I export the wish list and then click into each one in tun and hard code the info into the open excel spreadsheet. PITA...

I do think the functionality of being able to do what I mentioned would be of great use to anyone that it a regular at auctions. I know I do one for every auction I look at even though it is time consuming in many ways.

Yes it would. ANd I said I would look to add it. But right now I am trying to launch a new site...

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes it would. ANd I said I would look to add it. But right now I am trying to launch a new site...

Don't get your knickers in a knot! I know the last and next few weeks are going to be your most stressful and busy time in a long time. I was just throwing out an idea I'd like to see and you were good enough to say you'd look into the functionality at some point in the future. C'est tout.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Wouldn't it be even nicer if the WS collaborated and no paying customer of the WS would have to copy and paste reviews into CT? (We can dream...)

Exactly..Well said, not sure what WS (Or Bobby Parker for that matter) have to lose..

As a paying customer of both, it would not keep me away from other content on their respective sites...

Eric, the new site is miles ahead in look and feel, great job...

Posts: 174 | Location: Kitchener, Ontario Canada | Registered: Apr 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And now we're live.

posted Hide Post
Well, now that you've pushed me into the pool, Eric, I like it.
Appreciate the updates/improvements. I know that I'll enjoy/appreciate the new version.

Thanks. It's clear that this has been a labor of love for you. Sincerely, much appreciated. Wink

Posts: 15520 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to leave it on the default for now and see what happens.

Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IT:
quote:

Exactly..Well said, not sure what WS (Or Bobby Parker for that matter) have to lose.

Ultimately, these things usually come down to: $$.

PH

Posts: 15118 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new site is certainly more visually appealing and seems user-friendly so far. The real test will come when trying something intense like a cellar re-org.

Small piece of initial feedback: if a wine search yields only a single result, it would be useful to go straight to that wine's page instead of to the "search results" page showing the single result, where one needs to click through to get to the page for that wine.

Posts: 2799 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just glad Eric changed the name back to Cellar Tracker from Grape Stories. Smile

Posts: 5135 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Overall I prefer the new version, and hope the new reports section is completed soon.

Bulk "shopping cart" add wines to cellar Community score details showing std. deviation and ranges
Ability to comment on community tasting notes
Food Pairing Tags
"All Wines" option in My Cellar, showing all wines I have input data on
Breadcrumbs

Dislikes:
"I Like It" under scores cannot be removed, only minimized (I find the detailed score info MUCH more useful than a "like")
Community tasting notes section is smaller on individual wine view
Load time when clicking individual wine seems to be longer

Overall nice job Eric!

Posts: 147 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: Jul 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made the new version my default. For what I use it for, I have no problems with the changes. For what I pay for it, I have no reason to complain.

Posts: 5469 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
The new site is certainly more visually appealing and seems user-friendly so far. The real test will come when trying something intense like a cellar re-org.

Small piece of initial feedback: if a wine search yields only a single result, it would be useful to go straight to that wine's page instead of to the "search results" page showing the single result, where one needs to click through to get to the page for that wine.

Thanks for the feedback. The old site would do this, but part of the goal of the new site is to let you use the side-panel to do basically everything you could on the wine detail page. Also, you might end up wanting to tweak your search.

I think the right change at this point is, if the side-panel is hidden, to act like the old site and redirect you straight to the wine detail page if there is just 1-result returned. However if you have the side panel on to return the search even with just 1 result.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Well, now that you've pushed me into the pool, Eric, I like it.
Appreciate the updates/improvements. I know that I'll enjoy/appreciate the new version.

Thanks. It's clear that this has been a labor of love for you. Sincerely, much appreciated. Wink
+1. I really like the changes. Love that when I go to my cellar the default view shows the bin location of my wines.

Posts: 6511 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:

Thanks for the feedback. The old site would do this, but part of the goal of the new site is to let you use the side-panel to do basically everything you could on the wine detail page. Also, you might end up wanting to tweak your search.

I think the right change at this point is, if the side-panel is hidden, to act like the old site and redirect you straight to the wine detail page if there is just 1-result returned. However if you have the side panel on to return the search even with just 1 result.

Thanks. The change you suggest sounds like the right move. The side panel is a great feature for doing stuff with a wine but one of the first things I look at when landing on a wine page is the tasting notes from my favorite authors. And the side panel with its obvious space limitations just can't show that until you click a few more times. But I did just discover the feature that lists tasting notes by "I'm a fan first". Very cool!

Posts: 2799 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted for classic, but I go back and forth between the old and new versions. There are things that I like in both. I go into CT quite a bit from my IPAD, and the new version seems to be get "choppy" when I access it that way. With that said, I was just playing with it and it looks like Eric may have resolved some of that. I'll keep playing with it and see.

Posts: 483 | Location: Nashville,TN | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my IPad all the time and also find the new version less fun to use on it.
I do like the new version on my laptop..

An issue I find annoying, when you have a list of wines, you have to click the "more" button and not the wine name.

My 2 Cents

JL

Posts: 1679 | Location: Montréal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post