WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Cellar Tracker New vs Classic
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cellar Tracker New vs Classic
 Login/Join 
posted
With the pending change on Cellar Tracker from the classic to their newly designed site as the default, I'm wondering how many people (on this site, anyway) will be impacted.

Personally, I've continued to use the classic site except for a few data entry tasks where I've found the new site to be better. Not sure if I'll change my shortcut to the site to continue with the classic design or not.

Question:
Which site design have you been using to date on Cellar Tracker?

Choices:
Classic site, all the way.
Change is good.
I don't use Cellar Tracker, but feel the need to vote anyway.

Posts: 2882 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I can't stand the new design. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posts: 1257 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, other than entering new wines or tasting notes, I tend to use the CellarVU app. Now that needs a redesign. I find I can't enter tasting notes on it.

Posts: 47 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Jun 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the old one too. Might just be because I'm more familiar with it but I've played around with the new one and definitely don't like it enough to change to it. If they actually did away with the classic I'd get used to it but probably won't change unless I'm forced to.

Posts: 2297 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old version good.

New version, not so good.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just processed my first transaction under the new version. I like the aesthetics of the new site but just have to get used to the paths to get where I need to go. Can't say I like or dislike yet.

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1848 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee, I didn't realize there was a new version. I guess I will have to try it out and see. Big Grin

When in doubt, open another bottle.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Silver Spring MD (Near DC) | Registered: Nov 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using the new version for well over a year now. No problems and getting better by the day.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13319 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
Personally, I can't stand the new design. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

yeah, innovation is stupid.

Posts: 4400 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
people hate change. whenever facebook changes the interface, people go up in arms. 2 weeks later, everyone is fine. 6 months later, they change the interface again, and people go up in arms.

LeVine just needs to force everyone into the new system, let the crybabies get used to it, and never look back.

Posts: 4400 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you guys think of Cellar Tracker integrating features that make it like Yelp or Facebook?

Posts: 8528 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
I've been using the new version for well over a year now. No problems and getting better by the day.

+1. Not quite a year, but I've been using the new site more than the old at this point. It's drastically changed in the last six months and is much more intuitive now.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm.... Not having had a lot to add to the cellar this year, mostly I've just been loggin into the default (old) version and making notes and deleting bottles.

What do you fans of the newer version find to be most improved?

PH

Posts: 14657 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the new interface, very nice design and i like how some stuff (wine details or notes) remains visible as you scroll down. What i don't like is that editing bottle is not as easy/intuitive as in the old version and i edit a lot as i move bottles between cooler and the main cellar.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1479 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't like the grapestories one, but I'll give this latest version a try for a while.

so far, things I like:

- others' tasting notes of bottles I own automatically appear
- I found out that I have 51 fans

things I don't like:

- the search box is on the right instead of the left.
- I found out that I only have 51 fans

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5518 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread may be premature.

From Eric'c letter of 23 November: Following up on our last newsletter, I am excited to announce the imminent launch of redesigned CellarTracker site. Right now we are planning to flip the switch on Monday, November 26.

To my reading, the "new version" of CT people in this thread have been commenting on is about to become the "former new version". Or is the only imminent change making the "new version" the default upon login?

Posts: 2528 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I think the new version is the new version. You can switch to it by selecting it in the upper right corner (I think it was upper right). The other new version was grape stories, or something like that.

I have just noticed that I am member #915 on CT. There are currently about 234,000 members. I guess that goes as a positive for the new site Smile

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5518 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
To my reading, the "new version" of CT people in this thread have been commenting on is about to become the "former new version". Or is the only imminent change making the "new version" the default upon login?

The latter was my understanding (the "new" version becoming the default). I suppose on Monday we'll learn the truth of it.

The classic site design is the clear WS fan favorite based on the voting so far, which isn't too surprising given previous comments on the forum. Based on the positive comments regarding the new site I figure I'll give it another try, but given the continuing changes in the "new" site I'll probably elect to stick with the stable classic design. Saves time.

Posts: 2882 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the old interface still, but the new one is way better than older versions of the new one. Being able to comment on other people's tasting notes could be entertaining.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3362 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the classic site was bound to be eliminated and it was just a matter of time.

Posts: 8528 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is me and I can't find it...

I like the new layout better than the old, except the link to find a wine on Wine-searcher. It is in the old layout, but I cannot find it in the new layout. Anyone else?

Posts: 288 | Location: just south of Napa Valley | Registered: Jul 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please see my latest newsletter: https://www.cellartracker.com/...tent.asp?iContent=42

Tomorrow the NEW site will become the default experience. The old site will remain, but you will have to toggle to it by clicking CLASSIC-MODE in the footer. The old site is not going away any time soon.

For Wine-Searcher, look for the very large red button on the right that says $ WHERE TO BUY.

There is no more GrapeStories. Dating back 2.5 years ago, I was both trying to REBRAND and REDESIGN at the same time. After 6 months I realized that rebranding was very misguided. We have been chipping away at the redesign however the whole time and at a much accelerated rate over the 6 months since I brought on board a fulltime developer to help me.

Merengue, I'm not sure what issue you are hitting editing bottles. Please feel free to email me eric@cellartracker.com. The bottle editing is actually pretty beefed up in the new site as compared to the old.

Posts: 731 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eric LeVine:

For Wine-Searcher, look for the very large red button on the right that says $ WHERE TO BUY.

D'oh!!

Posts: 288 | Location: just south of Napa Valley | Registered: Jul 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't feel bad. Others have hit that. Please see: https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=231520

We will add Wine-Searcher to the verbiage in the future.

Posts: 731 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using CT for years and actually really like the new view...

The issue for me is practicality, I like to add a lot of pro reviews and review dates were stored as drop-down choices making input easy...

The new version has a calendar date pick method that for me will be a PITA and as a practical matter will take me more time for entries, and with the amount of weekly inputs I have it's prohibitive.

...If this was addressed I would switch from the classic in a heartbeat. Until then, it has to be the older version.

- Ian

Posts: 174 | Location: Kitchener, Ontario Canada | Registered: Apr 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post