WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Lillian Syrah? Worth the price?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lillian Syrah? Worth the price?
 Login/Join 
posted
Just got an invite letter, and am wondering if it's worth 95.00 for the blue label, and 75 for the lillian syrah. Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

"Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man"

Posts: 58 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always hesitate when their offer arrives.

I've had Lillian 3 or 4 times, both labels.

I think it's a good wine, but I think it's over-priced. Syrah is one of those varietals that you can find great values in. For $95, you could be drinking very, very good Northern Rhone, or some Cayuse on the secondary market, or Tablas Creek's Panoplie (almost 2 bottles of their Esprit). On the list, Alban Reva is ~$98 all-in, and Saxum is $89 and there are forum members offering to share their allocations.

I'd take practically any Cote-Rotie over this wine, especially at $95. And if French isn't your thing, I'd take any of the wines mentioned above, and probably a few others, before spending that kinda cash on Lillian.

2 Cents

Posts: 4751 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with jorgerunfrombulls.

+ 2 Cents

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1274 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have never experienced her wine, but at 3 bottle minimums x 2 at 500 total, I think I can find better value elsewhere. I'd be interested in any recommendations.

Jorge, yes French suits me just fine :-)
I'll jump all over some Cote-Rotie instead.

"Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man"

Posts: 58 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll jump on the other side of that coin. I LOVE these. Really great Syrahs that have a lot of depth and concentration to them.

Ex assistant winemaker at SQN using the same grapes from the White Hawk Vineyard that older SQN Syrahs came from.

I notice a lot of similarities between these and SQN yet a little more "feminine" if I dare say.

Posts: 908 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only had the 2006, and it was only once. But if the 2006 is representative, then this wine is one of the worst Syrah values out there.

Other vintages might be better. I have no idea, and for $100, I would not be tempted to find out.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 747 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post