WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wine paring with Indian food?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine paring with Indian food?
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi all! I'm having a dinner party this weekend and serving Indian food, curries, masala, rice and naan bread, etc. I came here to inquire as to what would be the best wine paring for this meal - I'm leaning towards white, but I'm afraid it could end up disastrous. Help!

"Drink to me only with thine eyes,
And I will pledge with mine;
Or leave a kiss but in the cup,
And I'll not look for wine."

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See Wine Spectator's food/wine pairing tool under the Dining & Travel header

Posts: 816 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Champagne and Riesling Spatlese.

Posts: 10697 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indian food is a very broad range of food styles, but Champagne and off-dry whites are very safe for a lot of the foods I tend to enjoy.

I have also had many lamb dishes that demanded a red wine also.

Posts: 29582 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
beer or something as cheap.

I personally HATE rieslings with indian curries.

Between all of the spices, there is no nuance you'd get from almost any wine.

I think most of the wine pairing for indian curries are more like "What doesn't offend my palate, or what can I use to wash this curry down"

Now if we're talking tandoor baked/grilled stuff, you can have some syrahs, california pinots that pair wonderfully with the subtle baking spices and that great tandoori flavor

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11011 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Indian food is a very broad range of food styles, but Champagne and off-dry whites are very safe for a lot of the foods I tend to enjoy.

I have also had many lamb dishes that demanded a red wine also.

you are certainly wise beyond your years

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11011 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh and if you goto kerala or along most of coastal india
there's a big fresh fish cuisine.

Some simple lemon spices, salt and some fragrant green herbs grilled/baked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tapioca.jpg

like this dish was awesome when a friend let me try it.

that would go wonderuflly wiht a reisling or champagne.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
Chilled Vinho Verde or Guner Veltliner, preferably cheap.

Posts: 1240 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
White Cote du Rhone - heavy and oily. Not fond of it elsewhere, but a good pairing.

Posts: 37 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do they call it Biryani?
Because it goes with BEER.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 6947 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A high acidic white..try a well made Chenin Blanc from South Africa or a even a Torrontes from Salta.. But there is always a cheap sparkler.. something from Limoux or Veneto.

"A bottle of wine contains more advice then any self help book in the world"

Posts: 1031 | Location: Around Boston | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think W+A and g-man got it.

You have to define "Indian" food first. If you mean something with a lot of turmeric and cumin and chile, that's more specific.

A few years ago I was interested in exporting wine to India and we scheduled a number of tasting events where people cooked their food and we brought a number of different wines.

Dry reds and dry whites almost always failed. Off dry whites worked. And don't spring for something rare and wonderful - just a cool wine with a bit of RS.

But what was more interesting was not the pairing, it was the way in which the wine was approached. Almost always they would have wine as an apertif, with some snacks. Then when dinner came, nobody worried about "pairing". Then after dinner it was liquor.

We in the US obsess about pairing, probably more than anywhere else. But who said wine has to go with food? That's received wisdom gives people goose bumps and makes them feel all profound and shit when they repeat it but in fact, it's just a habit, not a revealed truth. So it was really interesting to deal with those people who understood the concept intellectually but who in reality didn't give a damn.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2485 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
beer or something as cheap.

I personally HATE rieslings with indian curries.

Between all of the spices, there is no nuance you'd get from almost any wine.

I think most of the wine pairing for indian curries are more like "What doesn't offend my palate, or what can I use to wash this curry down"

Now if we're talking tandoor baked/grilled stuff, you can have some syrahs, california pinots that pair wonderfully with the subtle baking spices and that great tandoori flavor
Since when does g-man recommend pinot noir? Having a kid really changed you...

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2930 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
just a cool wine with a bit of RS.

Spatlese for me

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had some luck with off dry whites from the Loire, Germany and Alsace. To be honest, unless we are in an upscale Indian restaurant where the food is a bit more nuanced and wine works better, we just stick to beer and water with Indian food. Have tried red wine and it has nearly always failed for us with Indian food.

Posts: 6237 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mostly in the beer camp too. Haven't found many styles of Indian cooking that don't go well with beer. Haven't found many wines that go well with much of the Indian food I prefer (read well spiced or spicy hot)

PH

Posts: 14651 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Mostly in the beer camp too. Haven't found many styles of Indian cooking that don't go well with beer. Haven't found many wines that go well with much of the Indian food I prefer (read well spiced or spicy hot)

PH

i'd normally recommend port

but at 102 degrees in NY ... it's really okay.

beer is best.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
Drink choice #1 (salted) lassi, i prefer this to wine, with spicy Indian Cuisine
Wine choice #1 totally agree with Riesling Spätlese

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1739 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Late Harvest wines from Alsace especially gewurztraminer come to mind. Think Zind Humbrecht or Albert Mann.

Posts: 9281 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the imput! After mulling it over and taking in all of your messages, I think I'm going to go with cold beer after all.

Thank you!

"Drink to me only with thine eyes,
And I will pledge with mine;
Or leave a kiss but in the cup,
And I'll not look for wine."

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got an Indian dinner event to deal with also. I get the beer as well as all the white wine recommendations, but if you "had to" offer/serve a red wine with Indian food, what sort of varietal/s or blend/s and from what international regions would be tolerable in your experiences.

Thank-you all!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by In Drink Truth:
I've got an Indian dinner event to deal with also. I get the beer as well as all the white wine recommendations, but if you "had to" offer/serve a red wine with Indian food, what sort of varietal/s or blend/s and from what international regions would be tolerable in your experiences.

Thank-you all!

What exactly are you serving?

Wine Picks & Reviews - http://vintagewinepicks.blogspot.com/

Posts: 176 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Feb 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by In Drink Truth:

Thank-you all!

read posts above.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
I want To try Greek reds with Indian food.

Posts: 8511 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
I want To try Greek reds with Indian food.

love it

some thai reds also work btw.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)