WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Is one bottle a day too much?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is one bottle a day too much?
 Login/Join 
posted
What are the health hazards (if any) in drinking one full bottle (750 ml) of red wine every day?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Poquelin,

Posts: 158 | Registered: Apr 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I consume a bottle daily and feel no ill effects.

Posts: 2645 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Feb 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bad. Doctors recommend 6 to 8 ounces per day.

I am in the middle getting down my cholesterol and BP. Anything above 8 ounces is not looked upon as beneficial.
I usually do about half a bottle, but have dropped it when I can to 1 bottle for three nights consumption.

BTW, I have been drinking since 1981 and also have recently been told I have an enlarged liver.

www.budbreak.blogspot.com
www.clonyc.com

Posts: 849 | Registered: Jan 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:
BTW, I have been drinking since 1981 and also have recently been told I have an enlarged liver.

It is just more seasoned. As a bodybuilder is more seasoned than TBird.

Posts: 1420 | Location: Jersey City | Registered: Feb 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really, which "Doctor" is that? It's a hotly debated issue. A friend of mine at the NIH who did one of the later studies shows that cardiologists almost want to put alcohol on the food pyramid. The study shows benefits in the rage of 6-8 OZ of EtOH a day for men, that's a bottle and a half of fairly potent red!

Posts: 227 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: Sep 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A full bottle a day seems like an awful lot.

For one thing, it's about 600 calories, which would add over a pound of body fat per week unless you reduced your consumption of other foods. But if you're like me, you eat more when you drink.

For another, it's about five 5-ounce glasses, enough to raise the blood alcohol level of a 160-pound man to .12, or one-and-one-half times the legal limit for driving a non-commercial vehicle. The body metabolizes about one drink per hour, so that's enough to keep you buzzed for several hours and at the DUI level for at least a couple. Habitual drinkers think they are less affected by high BAC levels, but that's largely untrue (except as compared to non-drinkers).

And then there's the liver problems. True, physicians tout the beneficial effects of alcohol on the body, but not where it's contraindicated. The negative effects are heightened if you have liver disease or if you're taking meds that are hard on the liver, such as statins or niacin.

That said, I drink 1/2 bottle per day, as does my wife, despite me taking statins and having marginal fatty liver disease. It's a lifestyle choice I've made in part because I'm more concerned about dying from heart disease. Or at least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. For now.

Dylan Thomas said it best: "An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do."

Posts: 475 | Registered: Oct 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i should cut back to about 1 bottle per day Razz.

in fact, here is the one bottle a day i am here forward cutting back to. Eek

that's sprnplr there on the other side of it with me. unfortunately, i had to tell him it was a cock for him to attempt to hug it. Wink Big Grin

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it matters where your weaknesses are. If you have a family history of heart problems, drink your bottle/day. If you have a family histroy of liver problmes or alcoholism, stick to the glass/day.

-----------------------
Je ne peux pas penser à une signature intelligente

Posts: 3110 | Location: ATL, GA | Registered: Jan 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This year, I was up around 4-5 bottles/week, and have made it a resolution to ramp back to 3/week, max. I'm young (well, I feel young), in excellent health/shape, and plan to stay that way.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8888 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe a bottle a day is too much for me.

"Asking government to fix this crisis is like asking the arsonist to put out the fire." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 4510 | Location: Dubai | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 1/2 a bottle per day, give or take a bit.

Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RDCollins:
A full bottle a day seems like an awful lot.

For one thing, it's about 600 calories, which would add over a pound of body fat per week unless you reduced your consumption of other foods. But if you're like me, you eat more when you drink.

For another, it's about five 5-ounce glasses, enough to raise the blood alcohol level of a 160-pound man to .12, or one-and-one-half times the legal limit for driving a non-commercial vehicle. The body metabolizes about one drink per hour, so that's enough to keep you buzzed for several hours and at the DUI level for at least a couple. Habitual drinkers think they are less affected by high BAC levels, but that's largely untrue (except as compared to non-drinkers).

And then there's the liver problems. True, physicians tout the beneficial effects of alcohol on the body, but not where it's contraindicated. The negative effects are heightened if you have liver disease or if you're taking meds that are hard on the liver, such as statins or niacin.

That said, I drink 1/2 bottle per day, as does my wife, despite me taking statins and having marginal fatty liver disease. It's a lifestyle choice I've made in part because I'm more concerned about dying from heart disease. Or at least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. For now.

Dylan Thomas said it best: "An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do."

One killjoy in every thread.

Posts: 108 | Location: Washington | Registered: Oct 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the second bottle that you have to worry about.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Sep 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are the health hazards (if any) in drinking one full bottle (750 ml) of red wine every day?

I think this crowd is a bit bias.

Posts: 2207 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
quote:

I think this crowd is a bit bias.

But occifer!!!!

Posts: 1887 | Registered: Sep 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm ignoring this thread. Frown Wink

A friend of a friend was recently told by his doctor to stop drinking. Early 40's, regular drinker, but not full blown alcoholic. His liver is on the edge. That story is stuck in my mind. That would suck. "Doc, can we negotiate this? I have 700 bottles of wine in my cellar." Eek

Posts: 10183 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bottle a day for breakfast is too much.

Oh, did I read the title incorrect again?

CT handle - cuffthis

Posts: 434 | Location: Wilmington, DE | Registered: May 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Natalie:
Really, which "Doctor" is that? It's a hotly debated issue. A friend of mine at the NIH who did one of the later studies shows that cardiologists almost want to put alcohol on the food pyramid. The study shows benefits in the rage of 6-8 OZ of EtOH a day for men, that's a bottle and a half of fairly potent red!

Well I need to do the calculations more carefully but from memory I agree that's between one and two thirds [6 oz of pure alcohol equivalent] and two and a quarter bottles [8 oz] of 14% ABV [Alcohol By Volume] wine.

All the studies I have read [UK, US, Dutch] would refer that to as weekly not daily consumption if statistically certain types of cardio benefit are being shown - with increased rates of death from accident and other causes like cancer and liver and kidney disease at the same level.

All these studies show a significant reduction in risk of all cause mortality for very moderate drinking versus zero consumption of alcohol but the graph climbs thereafter with mainly respiratory and certain heart disease appearing to stay down up to a moderate drinking [way less than a bottle a day] before rising again with all other causes.

I would be grateful for a reference to the study you mention since it is so far removed from anything I have seen.

However at a simpler level the amount of alcohol that can be safely consumed [whatever that amount might be] will depend on factors such as gender, size, fitness level, exercise taken routinely and at the time of ingestion of the alcohol [like dance], general health, medication being taken, and food and water intake - generally and in relation to the ingestion of the alcohol.

And at a practical level, on the %ABV of the wine you drink since there is clearly a factor of 2 difference between drinking a bottle of classic German QmP Riesling at 8% ABV and a hearty Zin at 16%.

It will also depend on the reasons people drink and their individual propensity to addiction and it would seem likely that drinking well over a bottle a day of strong wine would increase the general likelihood of dependence.

Depending on the timing, that level of consumption could also affect the ability to drive for a significant part of the day or night.

On the other hand I really like wine and drink regularly, although for reasons of weight control and general wellbeing I try to keep it to around 3 bottles of wine a week with a couple of alcohol free days in each week – except on holiday when extra exercise, usually long swims, offset [I like to believe] the extra intake.

There is no simple general rule for safely drinking a ‘toxic’ substance since for some it should be zero and for others considerably more than that. IMO we usually know what our personal level is unless we really are passed the point of no return.

Posts: 421 | Location: London, England | Registered: Feb 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6-8 oz of EtOH a day!!!!???? That would be around a 12 pk of 5% alcohol 12oz beers/day or approximately 2 bottles of 13% wine. No physician would say its ok to chronically consume a 12 pk of beer or 2 bottles of wine a day.

consuming over 3 drinks a day (chronically) and you start getting into some pretty high risk demographics.

per the NIH, too much is:
A woman who has more than 3 drinks at one time or more than 7 standard drinks a week.
A man who has more than 4 drinks at one time or more than 14 standard drinks a week.

Just like all excesses, you won't fall over next week or next year, but keep it up for 20 yrs, and see how easy it is to dry out for 6 months before you can be put on the liver transplant list.

when you see these 110 yr old italians heading down to the trattoria for their daily fix of bread and wine, its for a glass, not a bottle.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 466 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
steve8 how large is your friend? You will see some people develop a fatty liver from being obese, and not necessarily a direct result of their alcohol consumption. Less common but possible.

Posts: 2207 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drink a half bottle each day. Sometimes I skip a day. Sometimes on Saturday I'll drink an entire bottle.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I, on average, have a bottle of red a day. (Sometimes we skip a day or even two--even three days--with no wine at all. Then we certainly "make it up" later.)
I am more concerned with the costs of having a bottle of a great tasting red per day than the health risks. Hmmmm, ... let's say a $50 bottle is consumed. (I know, I know, ....sounds high but sometimes one opens a $22 bottle and the next night one opens a
$85 bottle so .... let's just average it out to fifty). So 365 days X 50 = $18,250 per year. I have some employees that work for me that this figure is almost their YEARLY income before taxation.
By the way, ... my calculations are on a SHARED bottle of wine with your spouse... so really it is 1/2 a bottle of wine (or maybe,more like 60/40 male//female consumption). But if you are consuming two bottles of wine per day between two of you ... wow... this can be expensive.

Dean Martin: "I feel sorry for people that do not drink; they wake up in the morning and that is the best that they feel all day"

Posts: 534 | Registered: Sep 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogopogo DUDE:
So 365 days X 50 = $18,250 per year. I have some employees that work for me that this figure is almost their YEARLY income before taxation.

Give them a raise. Then you won't feel so bad.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, ... keep in mind every man has to die (Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler song/lyrics come to my mind) and I would rather die when I am 84 years old of a tired liver and having spent over sixty years of that life enjoying great wine (accompanied with great music--->somehow music sounds better with wine and vice versa... funny how that is...) than living to be 100 and not having any enjoyment in life.

Dean Martin: "I feel sorry for people that do not drink; they wake up in the morning and that is the best that they feel all day"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodchuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogopogo DUDE:
So 365 days X 50 = $18,250 per year. I have some employees that work for me that this figure is almost their YEARLY income before taxation.

Give them a raise. Then you won't feel so bad.

.... trust me, i do not feel bad nor sorry for any of my employees ... I am the one that spent ten years of university to get where i am today.