WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Valentine's Day: What are you drinking?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valentine's Day: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted
Tonight will be dessert and champagne with a friend who helped me enjoy many of life's greatest moments; probably looking at a Delamotte NV Rose bought 5 years ago.

And you?

Posts: 1695 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Brut NV

Posts: 265 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sh!t - is today Valentine's day?

Posts: 1720 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We need a doghouse graemlin.

Posts: 2912 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every day with Domino is Valentine's Day...

Now that I am covered if she should pop in & read this thread...thinking about the following tonight:

With sweetbreads: 2002 Yves Boyer-Martenot Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevrières
With duck, three ways: 1999 Copain Pinot Noir Dennison and/or 2001 Chateau Lanessan
With dessert: TBD, perhaps an '89 La Tour Blanche

Posts: 1631 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NV Jacques Copinet BdB
and either a Failla or Relic PN with dinner (Coq au Vin)

Posts: 3202 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rol Valentin

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3496 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:

Clearly is, given the number of men I saw in jewellery stores today.

Thinking '96 Dom P. tonight.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2437 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thankfully our wedding anniversary is at the end of the month. No V-day for us. No over priced flowers, full restaurants or schmaltz.

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2456 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
Every day with Domino is Valentine's Day...

*cough*
suckhole
*cough*
Wink

Posts: 5519 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:

What were *you* doing in jewelry stores today?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3496 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got over a cold and my other half is dealing with a bit of my "gift", so the wine will be dumbed down tonight. Frown Likely a Di Stefano Il Sogno Cab Franc with grilled steaks.

Posts: 5519 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vintage champagne of some form is definitely in the mix (thinking a 2000 Billecart Salmon). Still haven't decided if we're doing beef or seafood for dinner, so the vino is still TBD.

Posts: 905 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife overheard two guys who were shopping for Valentine's Day cards for their respective sweethearts:

Guy 1: How about this card?

Guy 2: That one has too many words.

Guy 1: For $3.99, it better have more than just a couple words.

My wife couldn't resist, and actually turned to them and said: "Make sure they aren't big ones."

Posts: 6525 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:

Hahahaha, good question. Looking for something for mrs CSM's birthday at the end of the month. Terrible day to be doing it though.

What were *you* doing in jewelry stores today?

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2437 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow, instead of today:

2005 Barbeyron (St. Emilion)
2007 Reif Estate TBA Riesling

Beethoven's 9th with 100 person choir plus soloists

Posts: 1953 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NV Pol Roger Champagne
2009 Varner Home Block
2002 Boillot Pommard Rugiens

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Rol Valentin

Nixed. '03 Scavino Barolo Bric del Fiasc.

We're having Osso Bucco.

- Milton

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Tomorrow, instead of today:

2005 Barbeyron (St. Emilion)
2007 Reif Estate TBA Riesling

Beethoven's 9th with 100 person choir plus soloists

"Wer ein holdes Weib errungen,
Mische seine Jubel ein!"

- Milton

posted Hide Post
Tonight, with prawn, spinach and mango salad, followed by rack of lamb with a pecan crust (good lord I treasure red meat on the rare occasions when I'm allowed to have it!) we had

- NV Bruno Gobillard Champagne Brut Rosé Mlle Sophie -- beautiful salmon colour, but what I really like is how this wine showcases both its Pinot Noir and Chardonnay origins with clear strawberry, cherry and green apple notes, long finish, delicious

- 2007 Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon Pritchard Hill -- wonderful dark fruit with lots of tobacco and mineral notes, deep and plush, eerily reminds me of a young Mouton Rothschild but with somewhat riper fruit, very sorry that I only bought 2 of these, a special wine

Cheers!

Posts: 8576 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Antica Terra Erratica Rose

Posts: 1566 | Registered: Nov 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Ridge Estate Chardonnay.

Posts: 9482 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having just got off a plane back from Reno, we kept it simple last night:

Gruet NV Rose w/some chocolate-dipped strawberries, and a 2007 Clos Pegase Mitsuko's Vineyard Chardonnay w/some healthy-sized shrimp, cheeses, and a mix of salamis.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear. "
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

Posts: 3848 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Nov 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With Mr & Mrs DoktaP:
2009 Paul Hobbs Chardonnay
2011 Domaine Franck Millet Sancerre
1997 Tignanello
2000 Quintarelli Giuseppe Rosso Ca del Merlo
2001 Guado Al Tasso
2005 Domaine des Baumard Quarts des Chaume

Posts: 15631 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just had a few bottles of NV Veuve Clicquot
and Alpha and Omega Chardonnay.

Posts: 757 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post