WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    I just don't like rose.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just don't like rose.
 Login/Join 
posted
I've tried, but outside of a champagne, I have yet to have a rose and not start thinking that I would rather be having either a white or a red.

Just don't get it.

Posts: 1871 | Location: NYC | Registered: Sep 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"AND THE WHOLE CONGREGATION SAYS AMEN"

tried it. wanted to like it. didn't. tried it again, low expectations, wanted to like it - didn't - after four or five bottle, I have given up. Despite having served it to guests regularly during the summer (including last weekend) I still don't get it. Give me a nice crisp cold pale ale before a Rose.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get some Innocent Bystander Pink Moscato. Cool

Posts: 8739 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Maybe it's because my palate isn't sophisticated enough (which is what some will undoubtedly assert), but I just don't dig it all that much. Even when it's hot out, I'd rather have a white or a beer.

Cheers!

Posts: 2913 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can understand for someone who does not like white wine to not like rose, but can't understand how someone who likes whites doesn't like rose. There are a lot of not so good rose in the market that make it difficult. It wasn't until started drinking rose from provence that I started liking them. Still don't care for tavel or the other nearby rose areas. Provence rose tend to be light, crisp, & have clean finish with some flavor from the syrah.

Posts: 52 | Location: Ponte Vedra, Fl | Registered: Mar 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like rosé but only in the summer on a hot hot day on a patio over looking the mediterranean sea.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6615 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
I like rosé but only in the summer on a hot hot day on a patio over looking the mediterranean sea.

Who doesn't under those conditions? Wink

Posts: 52 | Location: Ponte Vedra, Fl | Registered: Mar 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, my wife and I have stopped trying with Rose. We had it from several varietals and would have preferred a good white every time.

Neil

Posts: 666 | Location: Forest Hills, NY | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Etude used to make a Pinot rose that was both refreshing and complex, streaking acidity and great depth of flavour.

I wonder if they still do ... ?

"I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret."
John Cleese (Basil Fawlty)

Posts: 499 | Location: Mississauga, ON | Registered: Feb 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe instead of a rosé some of you will enjoy a nice white zin or white merlot. I hear that Woodbridge makes a few "good ones." LOL! Big Grin -mJ

http://jerseyfoodies.blogspot.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.Facebook.com/njfoodies
http://www.rebeldiamondsband.com/

Posts: 1916 | Location: Capitol Hill, DC | Registered: Apr 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MeritageMan:
Etude used to make a Pinot rose that was both refreshing and complex, streaking acidity and great depth of flavour.

I wonder if they still do ... ?

I had it once. Drank one glass of the bottle.

Posts: 1871 | Location: NYC | Registered: Sep 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:

I find it delicous on Summer evenings, even wihtout sea view. I especially like the Rosés from Corsica, those are real concentrated wines.

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1918 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rose is a great "cocktail" wine. Napa cab doesnt cut it when its 88 degrees outside and you feel like vegin' on the patio. I would most likely reach for a french grenache dry rose before a white in this situation.

Posts: 1478 | Location: Lincoln NE | Registered: Jul 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not into Rose at all and that is with trying very good one lately including Kosta Brownes the last 2 months. Hated them. Tasted like watered down vodka and cranberry. Light and hot. Confused Bad combo - unless you're a chick. Smile

You can have em'

There are others that aren't so high octane as the KB's, but I'll take a lighter bodied red over it.

Plenty of good pure whites and even sparklers to keep me happy.

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iv'e had some rose in my time. I was in Tavel in 2003 during a Cdp trip and wasn't really wowed by the wines which were bone dry and made by Grenache and Syrah I'm assuming. It might be something psychological about drinking chilled pink wine that is a turnoff.

Posts: 9452 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had a "profound" wine moment with a rose but it's fine for a summer sipper.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of Rose. Cool

Posts: 30184 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I'm a fan of Rose. Cool

Was that a tatoo I saw on your arm with her name there? Big Grin

Posts: 15571 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's ok, you don't have to.

i hate sauv blanc. i tried.

just don't get it.

quote:
Originally posted by sydthesquid:
I've tried, but outside of a champagne, I have yet to have a rose and not start thinking that I would rather be having either a white or a red.

Just don't get it.

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if you like white wines and if you also like red wines, how can you not like Rosés? Cool

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6615 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:

just don't get it.

You don't like grapefruit juice?

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36898 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
just don't get it.

I hate grapefruit juice.
One S-B I recently that was very enjoyable was the Kathryn Kennedy S-B. I would recommend this whole heartedly. Very nice, indeed.

Posts: 15571 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
with vodka, sometimes. just not in my wine.

quote:

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

just don't get it.

Who would? In Florida we sell the stuff off to get rid of the putrid juice to those who don't know how bad it is!!

Regarding rose...I didn't like rose until I had Pinot rose...now...I've found a nice summer quaffer. I really enjoy the J.K. Carriere version..but all yous people would hate it..so don't even consider it Wink

"I'm going back to gator country where the wine and the women are free" - Molly Hatchet

Posts: 3247 | Location: Valrico, Florida | Registered: Jan 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:
I am not into Rose at all and that is with trying very good one lately including Kosta Brownes the last 2 months. Hated them. Tasted like watered down vodka and cranberry. Light and hot. Confused Bad combo - unless you're a chick. Smile

You can have em'

There are others that aren't so high octane as the KB's, but I'll take a lighter bodied red over it.

Plenty of good pure whites and even sparklers to keep me happy.

HATED the KB rose. What came to mind was "who poured grain alcohol into my strawberry Kool-aid???"