WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    December 2012: What are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December 2012: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
2008 Bressler pinot noir, last night.

Posts: 6438 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KW crew Saturday night:

NV Charles de Cazanove Champagne Brut Premier Cru
2004 Bouchard Père et Fils Corton-Charlemagne
1984 Diamond Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Volcanic Hill
1997 Château Canon-la-Gaffelière
1998 Château Fonroque
2007 Cigliuti Barbaresco Serraboella
1983 Warre Porto Vintage

Dinner at La Forchetta (Toronto) last night:
1991 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT
1996 Château Cos d'Estournel

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 687 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
KW crew Saturday night:

1998 Château Fonroque
1983 Warre Porto Vintage

Very Nice! Wink

How was the Volcanic Hill? Curious how 1984 Cali Cabs hold up. (My birth year)

Posts: 253 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Manu Propria Ex Animo Red Willow Vineyard
2009 Gorman Zarchary's Ladder

The Manu Propria was a tannic beast, but the Gorman was quite nice, but could easily age a few years as well.

Cheers!

Posts: 2884 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dinner at Gentleman Farmer in NYC last night with MJAlberts, his lovely GF, GregT, mareff, Schliecker, wineabdul, and a couple of CellarTracker forumites:

1988 Krug - fantastic my co-WOTN
2005 La Romanee Domaine Fontaine Gignard Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Pru
1975 Cos d'Estournel
1978 Chateau Palmer - my co-WOTN
1982 Chateau La Lagune
1989 La Nerthe CdP Cuvee des Cadettes
1990 Chapoutier Cote-Rotie
1996 Chateau Clinet
1997 Ridge Monte Bello
2000 Phelps Insignia
2003 Chateau Coutet
1981 Kopke Colheita (bottled in 2011)

Posts: 5092 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
2010 Pavelot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er cru la Dominode - first bottle from the case I bought, it is as always a great wine. A steal at $45.

How does it compare to the Dominode from Chanson ?

dzitt

Haven't had the 2010 from Chanson, but in other vintages I always found more depth and complexity in Pavelot...

Posts: 989 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
quote:
2010 Pavelot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er cru la Dominode - first bottle from the case I bought, it is as always a great wine. A steal at $45.

How does it compare to the Dominode from Chanson ?

dzitt

Haven't had the 2010 from Chanson, but in other vintages I always found more depth and complexity in Pavelot...

Thanks. I did really appreciated the 2009 Chanson and that's why I was wondering about the Pavelot. Not much left at our monopoly though...

dzitt

Posts: 841 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Dinner at Gentleman Farmer in NYC last night with MJAlberts, his lovely GF, GregT, mareff, Schliecker, wineabdul, and a couple of CellarTracker forumites:

Cool

On all counts!

Posts: 15417 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Indeed! Thank you, Impulse, for introducing me to this wine.
I've opened a few and now buried a case deeply to keep out of my hands.
A gorgeous wine I greatly look forward to returning to several years from now.

Posts: 15417 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Andre Kientzler Geisberg Riesling.

Posts: 9400 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Beckmen, Syrah, Santa Ynez

Posts: 10019 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Real cheapie tonight....

2011 Gabbiano Chianti.

Meh.... But it is $13-ish and ok with food.

I'm back....

Posts: 4491 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Real cheapie tonight....

2011 Gabbiano Chianti.

Meh.... But it is $13-ish and ok with food.

Great to have you back, buddy!

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5651 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
KW crew Saturday night:

1998 Château Fonroque
1983 Warre Porto Vintage

Very Nice! Wink

Also curious on the Volcanic Hill?

Posts: 1591 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tonight with steamed salmon, 2008 Bret Brothers Pouilly-Fuissé En Carementrant, loaded with apple and citrus flavours, exceptional finish, probably still improving but delicious today. A relative bargain in white Burgundies.

Cheers!

Posts: 8350 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:

Indeed! Thank you, Impulse, for introducing me to this wine.
I've opened a few and now buried a case deeply to keep out of my hands.
A gorgeous wine I greatly look forward to returning to several years from now.

It's about $67 here, and absolutely worth it. This is outstanding Savigny; rare to find one this good around this price. I bought a bunch too.

Cheers!

Posts: 8350 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1991 Chateau Montelena Cab- outstanding and youthful. No hurry to drink this

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:

2005 La Romanee Domaine Fontaine Gignard Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Pru
1975 Cos d'Estournel
1978 Chateau Palmer - my co-WOTN
1982 Chateau La Lagune
1989 La Nerthe CdP Cuvee des Cadettes
1990 Chapoutier Cote-Rotie
1996 Chateau Clinet
1997 Ridge Monte Bello
2000 Phelps Insignia
2003 Chateau Coutet
1981 Kopke Colheita (bottled in 2011)

I was impressed that the 75 Cos was alive considering the vintage. No doubt about the Krug and the story that went with it. KSCO2's influence strikes again. I liked the Cote Rotie and the Insinia.

Posts: 3704 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience, 1975 was a tannic vintage in Bordeaux. I'd expect the Cos to be alive, but question whether the fruit would last long enough for the wine to soften.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:
Very Nice! Wink

Also curious on the Volcanic Hill?

Very enjoyable bottle. Thanks for assisting in getting it into our hands mangaire. My TN:

Ripe, pure powerful sweet fruit. Tons of blackberry and cassis. Subtle secondary notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, blood, and iron (alla tuscany). Tastes very young by Bordeaux standards, but unmistakably napa in style. Really nice. Good acidity is keeping the fruit fresh. Biggest drawback is the short finish, but alcohol is very low and the wine is bone dry with prevailing tannins still giving structure. This should hold on a while and is immensely pleasurable. (93 Points)

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 687 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 Château Poujeaux (corked)
2000 Château Malescasse - very nice

Posts: 3562 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Léal Vineyards Carnavál

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6281 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Dusky Goose Pinot Noir Dundee Hills

Posts: 3631 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
gig- I have a few bottles tucked away and opened one shortly after release. Similar flavor notes, but I also noted (back then) that the acidity was very high and I thought it would take a decade for it to come around... Do you think this is a try in 2017 bottle or would you look to 2014-15?

Based on the bottle I consumed, I would try again in 2014-2015.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6059 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Don't leave us hanging, gig? How was it?

It was very enjoyable; displaying honey, lemon, flowers, and lanolin. The wine possesses the typical oily texture with a perfect, imo, acidic backbone and lengthy finish.

A couple more years should bring even more balance as the alcohol (14.5%) needs to integrate a bit more.

Sounds like it be good for a massage! Smile

Masseuse: "What'll it be today, Mr. Board-O?"

Board-O: "Give me "The White Rhone", sweetheart, and make it an '07; I understand it is particularly oily vintage."

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6059 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post