WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    December 2012: What are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December 2012: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
max, to best of my recollection, the 1992 Matanzas Crrek Merlot is the best American Merlot I've ever had. The last bottle about 3 years ago seemed vibrantly youthful.
Thanks Board-O, look forward to sharing it with our Memphis area group soon. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Same to you, max!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36847 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Best from an off-line last night.

1998 Leonetti Merlot
1987 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard
1992 Matanzas Creek Merlot
1997 David Arthur 1147
1992 Laurel Glen Cabernet
Glad to hear about the 1992 Matanzas Creek Merlot and the 1997 David Arthur 1147. I'm sitting on both of these wines. Did the Matanzas seem tired at all?

Not in the least.

Posts: 30143 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best from last nights off-line.

1982 Krug
1989 Roger Sabon CdP
1990 Jaboulet La Chapelle

Posts: 30143 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Outpost Howell Mtn Zin

You should only make wines you love to drink...

Posts: 522 | Location: Napa and 74-41 | Registered: Mar 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Best from an off-line last night.

1998 Leonetti Merlot
1987 Diamond Creek Lake Vineyard
1992 Matanzas Creek Merlot
1997 David Arthur 1147
1992 Laurel Glen Cabernet
Glad to hear about the 1992 Matanzas Creek Merlot and the 1997 David Arthur 1147. I'm sitting on both of these wines. Did the Matanzas seem tired at all?

Not in the least.
Thank you. Sounds like something to look forward to Smile

You have a Merry Christmas as well.

Posts: 941 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having our annual gathering tonight; line up looks great!!!
Will report later

Posts: 2297 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

2000 Pavillon Rouge du Ch. Margaux - Wonderful. Best nose of the night. Pure Margaux. Great BDX characteristics yet showing the ripe fruit of the vintage. Yum.

PH

Nice to hear that your bottle showed well!

Posts: 1608 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

2000 Pavillon Rouge du Ch. Margaux - Wonderful. Best nose of the night. Pure Margaux. Great BDX characteristics yet showing the ripe fruit of the vintage. Yum.

PH

Nice to hear that your bottle showed well!

Thanks for the inspiration! Cool Glad to have several more.

PH

Posts: 15158 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just received, as a holiday gift, a 1994 Meursault from Ampeau et Fils. I'm considering giving it a day or two to settle down from the trip through the mails and drinking. I have no idea what to expect.

Do any of you have an opinion you'd care to share on this wine, vintage, and/or producer? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Feb 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonanator:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Celebrating the End of the World last evening:

1997 Beringer PR
2005 O'Shaughnessy Cab Howell Mountain
2007 Neal Family Cab (from magnum)

How did these three show for you?

The Beringer was the only one in its drinking window IMO. It showed beautifully with mellowed tannins and delicious but not overly aggressive fruit. The O'Shaughnessy and Neal both showed much promise, but shouldn't be touched for at least five years (or at least served without a long decant). The Neal was probably a little closer to ready but may have been 'developmentally delayed' because of the larger format.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Quevedo Oscar's red

doing some pairing for a seven fishes feast tomorrow

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12144 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This afternoon, celebrating the non-end of the world with VinCentric, vijay and on the wine:

N.V. Pierre Péters Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuvée de Réserve - delightfully crisp starter, great with oysters splashed with vodka (!)

1985 Château d'Angludet - opened nicely to show fading but still present fruit, black tea, grippy tannins still evident. Great showing.

2004 Querce Bettina Brunello di Montalcino - surprisingly muted on this day, even after fours hours in decanter. Dumb phase? Bottle variation? Hoping otw posts notes on the remaining half bottle he took home.

1999 Delas Frères Hermitage Marquise de la Tourette - intoxicating aroma, rich, full palate, still very young. My WOTA.

2001 Bodegas y Viñedos Alión Ribera del Duero - took a while to open, still very dense and youthful, long future ahead

2009 Nicolas Joly Savennières Les Clos Sacrés (Les Vieux Clos) - once it came up to room temp, stone fruits and nice texture, incorporates the 15% abv well

2002 Royal DeMaria Vidal Icewine - burnished gold with a slight spritz (!). IMO could have used a touch more acidity to offset the rich, unctuous texture.

Best possible way to spend a holiday afternoon, with great food and good service from Crush on King Street. Thanks, guys!

Posts: 2804 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night, 1998 Vacheron Pouizin Chateauneuf du Pape Domaine du Caillou, a great Rhone that has big plum and berry fruit riding on some still impressive acidity, with a long, rich finish. This might still be on the upswing, and certainly has a lot of life left.

Tonight we are taking 1995 Beaucastel Chateauneuf to dinner, and will see what Champagnes are available in half-bottles to start. I will be delighted if tonight's Rhone wine shows as well as last night's.

Cheers!

Posts: 8452 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

I don't know that is, but it sounds interesting!

"When I drink, I think; and when I think, I drink." Francois Rabelais

Posts: 3541 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanglenet:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

I don't know that is, but it sounds interesting!

Well, I think it means that he wants to try to match ("pairing") some nice wines with each one of seven different fish dishes, probably based on flavours and textures. Wink

Glad I could help out, sir.

Cheers!

Posts: 8452 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seaquam,

Thx! Seven fish in one meal sounds pretty cool. I would like to hear more.

By the way, I thought you were galavanting around the world house sitting? Or did I make that up?

Posts: 3541 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1999 Saffredi

Posts: 1676 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 Bodegas Vega Sicilia Valbuena 5

posted Hide Post
Currently drinking:

09 MacPhail Sonoma Coast PN

Yesterday:

07 Kosta Browne Kanzler PN

Day before yesterday:

06 Windy Oaks Wood Tank Fermented PN

posted Hide Post
2000 Chateau Lynch Moussas

Posts: 869 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
2000 Bodegas Vega Sicilia Valbuena 5

Nice bottle, W+A.

Last night a 2007 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Spätlese with Chinese (never gets old).

Posts: 1608 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2011 Terredora di Paolo Falanghina Irpinia - very nice

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6120 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 John Thomas pinot

Posts: 1050 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a 2007 Jean Foillard Morgon Cote de Py last night. Good in a Rhone vs Burgundy twisted style...

dzitt

Posts: 882 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
1999 Saffredi

How was the 99 Saffredi? I've contemplated picking up a few of these from time to time.

Posts: 1906 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post