WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    December 2012: What are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December 2012: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
2009 Domaine Coudoulis Lirac
2010 Gerard Bertrand Cremant de Limoux Rose

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1841 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 De Castelnau Champagne Brut
2002 La Pousse d'Or Corton-Clos du Roi

Posts: 2509 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 St Supery Elu Meritage
2004 Vineyard 7&8 Cabernet "7"

Both very average showings, not impressed with either one.

Posts: 2517 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Les Hauts de Castellas Vacqueyras - Another enjoyable bottle.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 616 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1992 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon Estate

Posts: 1292 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Alban reva
2007 Alban reva
1985 Las Cases - flawed

Posts: 981 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:
2005 Alban reva
2007 Alban reva
1985 Las Cases - flawed

How did the '05 Reva show?

Posts: 1292 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:

ShaneT, how did this show?

Posts: 1462 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the following were brought to Vie last night for a friend's 50th birthday. I didn't take formal notes.

1998 Vranken Brut Rose Champagne - nice toasty nose with bright berry fruit on the palate.
2007 Varner Bee Block Chardonnay - awesome as usual.
1962 Chateau Pape-Clement - the birth year wine for our guest of honor. I didn't have much hope for this based on the fill and very faded label. The nose was surprisingly nice with lots of minerality. Somewhat light in color. Unfortunately the fruit faded very quickly on the palate, but based on how the bottle looked it was better than I expected. A very nice experience. Special thanks to Dan for providing this and inviting us to L's b-day outing.
2000 Chateau Meyney - meh. Boring.
2001 Bilbas Ribera del Duero - very nice and still youthful.
2002 Numanthia - my WOTN. Full-bodied fruit, still showing some oak but it was nicely integrated. Not fading anytime soon.

Posts: 5152 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:

ShaneT, how did this show?

mangiare, Shane posted a note in the TN section.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1989 Beaucastel- a truly great wine!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:

I didn't have much hope for this based on the fill and very faded label.

billhike, do not fret over the label of a wine. I have had wines from the 1800's and many many wines from 1928 & 1929 and the label offered no insight to the quality of the wine.

Posts: 29594 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:

IMO, the greatest Beaucastel, ever.

Posts: 29594 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Domaine E. Sauzet Montrachet ( truly brilliant)
1995 A. Clape Cornas ( I need to drink more Clape)

posted Hide Post
2009 Stewart Chardonnay Sonoma Mountain

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2930 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Board-O,

This vintage was reportedly troubled by faulty corks. Have you seen this with the '89s?

Posts: 1494 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
quote:

Board-O,

This vintage was reportedly troubled by faulty corks. Have you seen this with the '89s?

Wine doc, not speaking for Board-O, but I have enjoyed this wine 25-30 times, and only one bottle was corked I can recall.

posted Hide Post
1998 Krug, Champagne
2007 Guigal, Ermitage, Ex-Voto White
2008 Amiot Guy, Chassagne-Montrachet, Les Macherelles
2001 Chateau Cos D'Estournel
1990 Guigal, Cote-Rotie, La Turque
2001 Paul Jaboulet-Aine, Hermitage, La Chapelle
1998 Domaine du Pegau, CdP, Cuvee Reservee
2005 Domaine Berthet-Bondet, Jura, Vin de Paille

Pretty good wines.

Posts: 9684 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like those odds! Thanks.

Posts: 1494 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
1989 Jaboulet La Chapelle - this was muted. It wasn't off or defective, just very muted. I'm almost wondering if it needs another 3-5 years.
1990 Rauzan Segla - very good mature Bordeaux and the table's wotn. Beautiful nose, full palate, and fantastic structured finish. No rush to drink this.
1997 Lisini BDM - my wotn. The freshness alone was worth the price of admission. Delicious juice.

On a side note- we enjoyed these wines at Nota Bene. The wine service was top drawer and corkage is free after 9pm. ($25 before) We had a great night with the sommelier and when the bill came, they comped the corkage for all 4 bottles. It was totally unnecessary but a great gesture.

Thanks mangiare. Are you sure the after-9pm no corkage deal is for all bottles? I'm pretty sure it's generally just for the first, and so paying no corkage in your case is the exception as opposed to the rule. Regardless, nice of them to waive it!

Posts: 10698 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mangiare:
1989 Jaboulet La Chapelle - this was muted. It wasn't off or defective, just very muted. I'm almost wondering if it needs another 3-5 years.
1990 Rauzan Segla - very good mature Bordeaux and the table's wotn. Beautiful nose, full palate, and fantastic structured finish. No rush to drink this.
1997 Lisini BDM - my wotn. The freshness alone was worth the price of admission. Delicious juice.

When we had the 89 La Chapelle in June (TYVM) it wasn't muted but I figured 5 or even 10 years, especially tasting the 79 beside it.

Glad to hear the 90 Rauzon Segla was so good. Note to self - watch for 90 RS.

Thanks for posting the notes.

Posts: 1606 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With friends,
2009 REICHSRAT VON BUHL FORSTER JESUITENGARTEN RIESLING SPÄTLESE
2006 Dr Hermman Riesling Spatlese Urziger Wurtzgarten
2004 William Fevre Chablis le Clos
1981 Montecillo Grand Reserva (Magnum)
1999 Bertani Amarone Classico
1975 Filhot (750ml)

Both Rieslings were excellent, but the 06 Urziger really shone with pineapple and peach. The Riechsart had vibrant minerality.
The Montecillo was mahogany w brick and well aged with leather notes - beautiful. The 1999 Bertani Amarone Classico was excellent and opened up and softened in the glass into a very smooth, maturing Amarone, but clearly has decades to go.
The 1975 Filhot surpassed expectation - deep gold colour, orange notes (not bitter) and light hints of caramel, good complexity. It was outstanding with orange pound cake, oranges and rosemary honey.

Posts: 1606 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:
2005 Alban reva
2007 Alban reva
1985 Las Cases - flawed

How did the '05 Reva show?

Hi Shane, the 05 showed very well last night even though most of people in our group prefer the 07. The 05 was much bolder than the 07.

Posts: 981 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
quote:

Board-O,

Wine doc, not speaking for Board-O, but I have enjoyed this wine 25-30 times, and only one bottle was corked I can recall.

Unfortunately I have had this wine only once and it was corked!

Posts: 2517 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For lunch today with my folks

2002 Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet - decent wine but not all that exciting anymore.