WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    December 2012: What are you drinking?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December 2012: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
I've never had a Domaine Carneros that was NV, do they actually make both? I've always enjoyed the Domaine Carneros Vintage bottling.

Yes, both the Brut and the Brut Rose were NV bottlings. I don't often drink domestic sparklers, so these were new to me. At the price point offered for "preferred" diners ($27/$35) for the Brut and Rose respectively, both would be a pass if I were at the store.

PH

Posts: 15335 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Domaine Allais Vouvray Demi Sec
1999 Cakebread Merlot

Posts: 2568 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grahams Natura Reserve Ruby Port.

Posts: 9502 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Marquis Philips S2 Cab- I haven't bought an Aussie wine in years, but this one was well-made and not unidimensional. Really paired well with a steak.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37056 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Began the evening with a Billecart Salmon Brut Rose NV - It showed better than previous bottles and was a hit with my dinner companion. The streak continues.... Wink

PH

Cool

Posts: 15661 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Began the evening with a Billecart Salmon Brut Rose NV - It showed better than previous bottles and was a hit with my dinner companion. The streak continues.... Wink

PH

Cool

oh boy.....

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2787 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight: Krug 90'....but considering a Billecart Salmon Big Grin

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2787 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Tonight: Krug 90'....but considering a Billecart Salmon Big Grin

Ha. Big Grin

You are drinking one of Krug's best, ranked number 6-10th all-time for Krug imo. You are safe. Wink

Posts: 30348 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
With the KW crew:

2004 Punset Riserva Barbaresco
2008 Socré Barbaresco
2007 Giacosa Basarin Vigna Gianmaté Barbaresco
2007 Renato Ratti Marcenasco Barolo
1998 Chateau Le Caillou
2003 Chateau Pontet Canet

I popped one of the 07 R Ratti Marcenasco's last week. Thought it was great but needs time.

How where the 1998 Le Caillou and the 03 Pontet Canet?

The Renato Ratti for me slightly edged out the Punset for the Nebbiolo of the night, though others disagreed. It was more modern and the fruit was quite dark with with plush, ripe, velvety tannins. While it was pleasurable now I could see it becoming more open in a few years.

The Pontet Canet was a black hole for the first hour in the decanter, then some nice earth and coffee bean aromas came though. Just starting to open up now, but I would guess that optimal drinking is still 5 - 8 years away. It's worth noting that Pontet Canet did manage to avoid any substantial overripeness in this hot vintage. I didn't get any raisin or prune notes which are quite a turn off for me. 94 Points today and will easily be classic when fully mature.

The Le Caillou was nice, but you better like veggies. The greenness is quite evident (I don't mind), but the wine has hit a nice stage of maturity with a nicely integrated palate. ~ 91 Points.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wine Canuck,

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 765 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At a Spiegelau stemware tasting last night:

1997 Chateau de La Tour Clos Vougeot Grand Cru (stunning)
2005 Carneros Creek Winery Pinot Noir Carneros Reserve (fruit bomb, meh)
1990 Chateau Clerc Milon (good but not great)

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 765 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dinner last night with some fellow winos:

1990 Krug
1995 Krug
1996 Dom perignon
2002 tattinger CdM
1996 Comte Armand pommard clos des epeneaux
2008 slyvian cathiard & fils vosne romanee aux malconsorts

Posts: 1306 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Feb 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1995 Togni Cab

Posts: 3704 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
1995 Togni Cab
How did this show Shaferguy?

Posts: 954 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
1987 Kalin Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
Any chance you have a source for this wine? I've been looking for some of their Cabernet.
I don't have a source, but I do believe if you contact Kalin, they have some library selections available. I sourced these frome winebid. This bottle showed very well.

Posts: 954 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Frescobaldi Nipozzano Chianti Rufina Riserva- loved it

Posts: 531 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
Dinner last night with some fellow winos:

1990 Krug
1995 Krug
1996 Dom perignon
2002 tattinger CdM
1996 Comte Armand pommard clos des epeneaux
2008 slyvian cathiard & fils vosne romanee aux malconsorts

How did the Cathiard show? I didn't get a chance to taste too many of his wines while I was in Burgundy but his 2006 Suchots was stunning.

Posts: 1724 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2012 Kim Crawford, SB

I needed some cooking wine. A little over the top on the citrus.

Posts: 10211 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
2012 Kim Crawford, SB

What are you cooking?

Posts: 30348 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night, two bottles of 2008 Raveneau Foret Chablis.

posted Hide Post
2004 Kelham Reserve CS

Posts: 898 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night with a turkey and sun-dried tomato meatloaf, a 1998 Pegau Chateauneuf, lots of fruit and some pepper, still a bit tannic on the finish, drinks well but perhaps will still shed some tannin in the next few years. I will wait a couple of years on these.

Cheers!

Posts: 8607 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2011 Chateau de Saint Cosme Cote-du-Rhone.

Pretty nice for the price...

dzitt

Posts: 912 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
2012 Kim Crawford, SB

What are you cooking?

Duck and wild mushroom risotto. Isn't there a thread for that question? Wink

Posts: 10211 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

What are you cooking?

Duck and wild mushroom risotto. Isn't there a thread for that question? Wink

Hey, that's exactly what I'm cooking tomorrow! But I'm using red wine to start it. And then pairing it with 1999 Delas Cote-Rotie Seigneur du Maugiron and 2006 Jamet Cote-Rotie.

I know that's right up your alley for food and wine combos. You need to time your local visit to include a weekend, my friend. Smile

Cheers!

Posts: 8607 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'09 Alain Graillot Crozes-Hermitage
'10 Casa Gran del Siurana GR-174 Priorat

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1972 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post