WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    December 2012: What are you drinking?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December 2012: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ah, my birth year...how did it show?

Geez, that's my sons birth year. And to think I was having such a great day until I read that Eek

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5592 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
1984 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill

I wish I could say the same.
Popped and poured after a corked 1997 BDM. Mad

Initially, I thought it had totally dried up. But with an hour+ of air, there is beautiful fruit, an interesting cedar nose, and smooth finish. I enjoy a touch more structure than this wine showed.
It was extremely enjoyable - drink up.

Posts: 1563 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Neely Picnic Block Pinot Noir - a very tasty, well crafted pinot noir made by the Varners.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max:
1987 Kalin Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
Any chance you have a source for this wine? I've been looking for some of their Cabernet.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1985 Lisini Brunello di Montalcino Riserva - A touch of VA.

Posts: 2161 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineglas:
Very well thanks for asking. Our Champagne tasting coming soon.

2002 Piper Heidsick Brut Cuvee Rare
2002 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon
2002 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne
2002 Ruinart Champagne Dom Ruinart Blanc de Blancs
2002 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut
2002 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Coeur de Cuvée
1998 Krug Champagne Brut

How was the Tatt and Dom?

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2723 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
I'd love the notes on the Catena Cabernet Franc.

NolanE, I posted notes on both vintages of the Cab Franc:

2006 Catena Zapata Cabernet Franc Angelica Zapata Alta

2008 Catena Zapata Cabernet Franc Angelica Zapata Alta

Not sure if the 2008 will hit the heights of the 2006 with some bottle age, but they're both very good - the 2006, excellent.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fut. I will try my hardest to source some of this. I have a friend who visits S America frequently, although he failed to bring my Havana Club last trip Big Grin

Posts: 2940 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Initially, I thought it had totally dried up. But with an hour+ of air, there is beautiful fruit, an interesting cedar nose, and smooth finish. I enjoy a touch more structure than this wine showed.

Thanks for the info. California is my only option for birth year wines, and I actually pondered buying this from HDH a while ago.

Posts: 1280 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AML - send me an e-mail

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mangiare,

Posts: 1563 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Cobb Pinot Noir Coastlands Vineyard: Diane Cobb

Posts: 3613 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
Thanks, fut. I will try my hardest to source some of this. I have a friend who visits S America frequently, although he failed to bring my Havana Club last trip Big Grin

If you want Havana Club, just get it from Canada. I have Havana Club 7-year in my liquor cabinet all the time. Readily available here at the LCBO. We also get the Selection, although I don't think I've seen the 15-year here.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight, assorted Taittinger Champagnes at a themed 6 course dinner at the Antrim 1844 Inn. Interestingly, they still haven't posted the wines OR the menu on the website as of this post. If it's a bottle of NV and a bowl of goldfish I'm gonna be pissed!! Mad

We'll pre-game with a bottle of NV Billecart Salmon Rose.

PH

Posts: 14952 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks for the info. California is my only option for birth year wines, and I actually pondered buying this from HDH a while ago.

Ditto for me as well. I've been on the hunt for some 84's but it's been a bit tough to find any from producers that I like. If anyone on the board wants to sell or trade I'm in the market.

Posts: 1496 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1995 Canalicchio di Sopra BdM - excellent and just re-affirms my belief that the '95 vintage is much better than previously expected. We need to revisit our '95 BdM event in Philly back in '07 or '08.

Posts: 2161 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At a lunch with a friend:

2009 Geo Wines Chono Syrah Reserva Elqui Valley
1997 Carmen Cabernet-Sauvnignon Reserva Maipo
2006 Alain Graillot Crozes-Hermitage

The Carmen was quite impressive and not dead at all ! Pretty nice for a 15$ wine...

dzitt

Posts: 803 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1999 Casanova di Neri BdM Tenuta Nuova
Beautiful wine just entering its prime. Hold! Red guy A

2005 Parallel Cabernet Napa Valley
Very nice wine but big and very primary on night one. Much better on second day. Hold. Red guy A-

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red guy in a blue state,

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2859 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
We'll pre-game with a bottle of NV Billecart Salmon Rose.

PH

Care to elaborate? Razz

Posts: 15369 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Lokoya Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mtn.
Gorgeous CA cab at or near its peak. Drink now or hold for a few more years. Red guy A

1994 Cos d'Estournel
Very tasty but probably past apex. Drink up. Red guy A-

2008 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing
Rich and bold style that is not for everyone. Drink or hold. Red guy A-

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red guy in a blue state,

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2859 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Alexana Pinot Noir Revana Vineyard

Posts: 3613 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the KW crew:

2004 Punset Riserva Barbaresco
2008 Socré Barbaresco
2007 Giacosa Basarin Vigna Gianmaté Barbaresco
2007 Renato Ratti Marcenasco Barolo
1998 Chateau Le Caillou
2003 Chateau Pontet Canet

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 675 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
With the KW crew:

2004 Punset Riserva Barbaresco
2008 Socré Barbaresco
2007 Giacosa Basarin Vigna Gianmaté Barbaresco
2007 Renato Ratti Marcenasco Barolo
1998 Chateau Le Caillou
2003 Chateau Pontet Canet

I popped one of the 07 R Ratti Marcenasco's last week. Thought it was great but needs time.

How where the 1998 Le Caillou and the 03 Pontet Canet?

Posts: 1798 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 Cabernet, Yarra Valley, DeBortoli
2006 Petit Marole (white), Givry 1er Cru, Francois Lumpp, outclasses many a famous Burgundy, shines on day#2 after opening, at this stage.

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1853 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night at a Taittinger themed dinner:

Domaine Carneros Brut NV - Would never have mistaken this for Champagne. Mimosa caliber bubbly.

Domaine Carneros Brut Rose NV - A step up from the Brut NV. Slighly sweet. Red fruits. Passable.

Taittinger Prestige Rose NV - Again, one step up from the Carneros Rose. Nothing special.

Taittinger Prelude Brut NV - Now we're talking. The best bottle of Prestige I've tasted. This wine has been a little variable but this most recent assemblage is really lovely. Offered at $80 as a "preferred" price to dinner attendees. This wine has crept up from around $50 over the past years. I'd pass at $80.

2000 Taittinger Comptes de Champagne - Lovely. Just lovely. A touch of citrus, a bit of yeasty biscuit and a long finish. WOTN, of course.....

Taittinger Nocturne - A tad sweet for my taste, but a good sparkler. Would be lovely with some pound cake topped with mixed berries.

Began the evening with a Billecart Salmon Brut Rose NV - It showed better than previous bottles and was a hit with my dinner companion. The streak continues.... Wink

PH

Posts: 14952 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had a Domaine Carneros that was NV, do they actually make both? I've always enjoyed the Domaine Carneros Vintage bottling.