WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    December 2012: What are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December 2012: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
2008 Clos Ste Michelle Chateauneuf du Pape

Posts: 2542 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Clos Des Papes
2005 Clos Apalta

Posts: 1036 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For fkg's birthday with friends

05 George's Laval Cumieres Champagne - wow
stefania no label Chardonnay.
11 Araujo Sauvignon blanc
95 97 01 03 06 Clerc Milon
06 Shaffer Hillside Select
10 St Cosme Cote Rotie

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jcocktosten,

Posts: 5900 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
1998 Krug Champagne -- I've written about this before, fabulous wine, addictive, hard to let it age, I already look forward to the next bottle

There are 'bigger' and better vintages but the '98 just drinks sooo well! Cool

The '98 is very good, indeed.

Well 3 respected pallets enticed me to buy a 6 pack yesterday of this along with 2 1/2 cases of other champers.... Will list at some point. Merry Christmas boys Smile

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2729 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
1998 Krug Champagne

Well 3 respected pallets enticed me to buy a 6 pack yesterday of this along with 2 1/2 cases of other champers...Merry Christmas boys Smile

Merry Christmas indeed, marcb. Cool

Posts: 15425 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night after service.

5x NV Bollinger Special Cuvee

Posts: 30028 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night PURPLE prepared a tapas themed Christmas Eve dinner. Served with that:

* 2001 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia
* 1995 Taylor (Fladgate) Porto Vintage Quinta de Vargellas

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13456 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NV Bollinger Special Cuvee

Posts: 15425 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel like a sandwich.

Joe
-----

Posts: 13456 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2002 Penfolds Shiraz RWT

Posts: 3631 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
I feel like a sandwich.

Make me one while you're at it. We'll wash it down with some Bollinger.

How was the 01 Lopez?

Posts: 2542 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
How was the 01 Lopez?

Tasty as usual. Got a few magnums on order.

Joe
-----

posted Hide Post
On the road most of yesterday and last night, so nothing yesterday. Plan on making up for it though today and tonight. Merry Christmas everyone!

Posts: 915 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
This afternoon, celebrating the non-end of the world with VinCentric, vijay and on the wine:

N.V. Pierre Péters Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuvée de Réserve - delightfully crisp starter, great with oysters splashed with vodka (!)

1985 Château d'Angludet - opened nicely to show fading but still present fruit, black tea, grippy tannins still evident. Great showing.

2004 Querce Bettina Brunello di Montalcino - surprisingly muted on this day, even after fours hours in decanter. Dumb phase? Bottle variation? Hoping otw posts notes on the remaining half bottle he took home.

1999 Delas Frères Hermitage Marquise de la Tourette - intoxicating aroma, rich, full palate, still very young. My WOTA.

2001 Bodegas y Viñedos Alión Ribera del Duero - took a while to open, still very dense and youthful, long future ahead

2009 Nicolas Joly Savennières Les Clos Sacrés (Les Vieux Clos) - once it came up to room temp, stone fruits and nice texture, incorporates the 15% abv well

2002 Royal DeMaria Vidal Icewine - burnished gold with a slight spritz (!). IMO could have used a touch more acidity to offset the rich, unctuous texture.

Best possible way to spend a holiday afternoon, with great food and good service from Crush on King Street. Thanks, guys!

I followed the 04 Querce Bettina over the next 3 days. This wine was solidly stuck in the same place with flavours muted and lifeless. The only detectable change was a slight accentuation of the tannin.

I had this wine just 2 months ago, so I don't think it's in a dumb phase. I think it was corked. A sad outcome for a bottle that I lugged home from Montalcino and past Canada Customs. I don't suppose they give refunds on duties paid?

Happy Christmas, everyone!

Posts: 5087 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Chaulk Hill Estate Red.

Posts: 9400 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:

I think it was corked.

Interesting. I did not get even a whiff of TCA from this bottle, but I will defer to your expertise. Only one thing to do...open another bottle!

Posts: 2727 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max:
On the road most of yesterday and last night, so nothing yesterday. Plan on making up for it though today and tonight. Merry Christmas everyone!

Merry Christmas Max.

Posts: 3631 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 William Fevre Les Preueses

I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Posts: 606 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Mar 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 Gruaud Larose
2002 Lynch Bages

Posts: 79 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Feb 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think it was corked.

Interesting. I did not get even a whiff of TCA from this bottle, but I will defer to your expertise. Only one thing to do...open another bottle!

At lower levels, TCA dulls the fruit before it gives you the damp soggy cardboard taste. My guess is that's what we experienced, but who knows for sure... Frown

Posts: 5087 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1986 Ch. Talbot
1997 Matanzas Creek Merlot

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8878 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the 1986 Talbot, indobob. Was wondering when you were going to pop it! I have my next to last bottle standing up for consumption by the New Year. It's a lovely wine. Hope it shows well for you.

PH

Posts: 15012 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
At lower levels, TCA dulls the fruit before it gives you the damp soggy cardboard taste. My guess is that's what we experienced, but who knows for sure... Frown

It amazes me to this day that so many wine drinkers don't get this. It helps greatly to have a baseline recollection of an untainted bottle but I've had many a friend go into serious denial when the possibility of "mild" taint is raised with a bottle that is muted like this.

PH

Posts: 15012 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
2007 Chaulk Hill Estate Red.

I've had this 3 times from 375 this year and it has impressed each time. Not a big CA guy, but this is a nice wine. Good luck!!

PH

posted Hide Post
MP:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the 1986 Talbot. Hope it shows well for you.

PH

It was excellent (I put up a note), and the one I had was fully ready to go. I went with 93pts, and I hope yours shows even better!

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8878 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post