WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    December 2012: What are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December 2012: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
2001 Léal Vineyards Carnavál

Wow i believe it is the first time i see a posting about this wine here. A few years ago we celebrated my Grandma's 80bday at the winery. We may have had in fact a 2001 Carnaval which was at that time quite young.

What did you think of it?

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1626 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Edoardo Miroglio Pinot Nero-Tracia, D.O.C. Nova Zagora, Elenovo, Bulgaria, obviously Bulgaria suits well to Pinot Noir
2002 Pouilly Fuissé vieilles vignes, Chateau de Fuissé, very very good

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1919 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:

2009 Dusky Goose Pinot Noir Dundee Hills

How does this compare to the 2008, Shaferguy?

I am extremely impressed by this winery, even more so with their Rambouillet bottling. I think they might be in the top half dozen Oregon Pinot producers.

Cheers!

Posts: 8532 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last with GlennK:

1998 Smith Haut Lafitte
2000 Rol Valentin

Over the past week:

2009 Reserve de Louis
2010 Cedric Bouchard Val Vilane

Posts: 1300 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Feb 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have three off-lines this week, but someone has to do it, right? Cool

Walking out for a night of Champagne and Burgundy.

Posts: 30187 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just popped a 06 Windy Oaks Wood Tank Fermented PN. Needs a decent decant as it's showing a lot of tannins right now. I also found out that I'm cooking a chicken for four on Christmas Eve, so I'm doing a test run tonight.

"When I drink, I think; and when I think, I drink." Francois Rabelais

Posts: 3542 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2002 Dom Tollot-Beaut Aloxe-Corton

Posts: 1931 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Cristom

Posts: 926 | Location: SW CT | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2011 torremoron

Posts: 1057 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marilyn Remark Grenache 2008
Jean Luc Columbo Le Ruchets Cornas 2000
Sportoletti Villa Fidelia 2004

Marilyn Remark was far superior, I don't decant, but the French and Italian were nice but tight and medicinal while the Remark was loved by all.

Posts: 8741 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Carpineta Fontalpino Do Ut des IGT. Full body, smooth and organic. Nice now better in a year or two.

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 733 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night with steve8, VinT, and otw at supper:

2005 Gramona III Lustros Gran Reserva Cava

1996 Paolo Conterno Barolo Ginestra
2000 Vajra Barolo Bricco delle Viole

1998 Torbreck The Factor
2003 Delas Cote-Rotie Seigneur de Maugiron
2008 K Vintners Charles Smith Royal City Syrah

Later:

2006 Sine Qua Non Raven Series Syrah

... and a 2005 second-label Bordeaux that I didn't get the name of.

Posts: 10922 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How was the Conterno, fut?

PH

Posts: 15238 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:

2009 Dusky Goose Pinot Noir Dundee Hills

How does this compare to the 2008, Shaferguy?

I am extremely impressed by this winery, even more so with their Rambouillet bottling. I think they might be in the top half dozen Oregon Pinot producers.

I really like Dusky Goose too. My first impression was that the 2009 isn't as good as 2008. However I had just gotten the wine so I probably shouldn't have opened it. I'll try again in a few months. I've never had the Rambouillet but I think I'll get some and try it.

Last night:
2008 Lynmar Pinot Noir Freestone-Delicious.

Posts: 3673 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
Last with GlennK:

1998 Smith Haut Lafitte
2000 Rol Valentin
I thought both wines showed extremely well and are ready to drink. The SHL was in the zone and the RV came around quickly with air. Perfect pairing with the steaks.

Posts: 6540 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
How was the Conterno, fut?

PH

It was really nice. It was a definite cut above the Vajra on this night. I think the wine is into its drinking window and showing well.

For the Syrahs, I preferred the Delas Cote-Rotie, but there wasn't a bad wine in the bunch. Everything was very good.

Posts: 10922 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best from last nights off-line.

NV Cedric Bouchard Val Vilane BdN
1990 Domaine Jean Grivot Richebourg
1990 Domaine Roumier Bonnes Mares

Tonight's off-line, American wines.

Posts: 30187 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 chateau st desirat, st Joseph
2010 jean Geiger riesling grand cru wineck schlossberg

Posts: 1160 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Phelan Segur - Better than I expected with very typical Bdx aromas and flavors
2010 Giugal Gigondas

Posts: 2203 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
Last night with steve8, VinT, and otw at supper:

2005 Gramona III Lustros Gran Reserva Cava

1996 Paolo Conterno Barolo Ginestra
2000 Vajra Barolo Bricco delle Viole

1998 Torbreck The Factor
2003 Delas Cote-Rotie Seigneur de Maugiron
2008 K Vintners Charles Smith Royal City Syrah

Later:

2006 Sine Qua Non Raven Series Syrah

... and a 2005 second-label Bordeaux that I didn't get the name of.

How was the 03 Delas?

In the United States, anyone can be President. That's the problem!

Posts: 1119 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Warre's Late Bottled Vintage Porto.

Posts: 9452 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
2005 Phelan Segur - Better than I expected

Due to youth?

posted Hide Post
For tonight:

1998 Moulin St.George
1989 Margaux
1990 Dom Perignon

http://www.h2o2winecellardesign.com/

Posts: 2080 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aav28:
For tonight:

1998 Moulin St.George
1989 Margaux
1990 Dom Perignon

I think my invite must have gotten lost in the mail... Big Grin

Posts: 2849 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night at an offline dinner at Ricciuti's in Olney, MD with six of the original members of the WS DC area offliners (irwin, klymkev, Lentini, Gentleman farmer, cometspider and Festiva):

The theme was.......bring something with some Cabernet in it.

Starter bubbly:

NV Bollinger Special Cuvee - Lovely. I blew through a 6-pak of this in no time. Must get more.

Vajra Sparkling Nebbiolo (NV?) - Very dry. Very Nebbiolo. I'm going to try and find some of this. Much better as it warmed a bit and with food.

2001 Don Melchor - Right in the zone for this bottling. Typical loamy, minty, dark fruit with a zing of pepper.

2004 Sassicaia - Wow. Decanted for a few hours and rebottled. Remarkably soft and ready to go. My WOTN.

2000 Pavillon Rouge du Ch. Margaux - Wonderful. Best nose of the night. Pure Margaux. Great BDX characteristics yet showing the ripe fruit of the vintage. Yum.

1999 Rampolla Sammarco - Soft and balanced with integrated tannins. In a perfect spot right now.

2004 Le Pupille Saffredi - Monster. Needed time to open up. Showing incredible potential. If I had any, I'd hold a few years or decant for a long while. I'm going to find some!

2005 Benziger Oonapais - Big wine. Plush in the mouth. Ripe CA fruit.

2000 Pio Cesare Ornato - cs missed the theme memo and I'm glad he did! Wink Lovely nose, great Barolo. Long life ahead.

2000 Churchill Port - Decanted the day before and rebottled. Ridiculously good. Among the best Ports I've put in my mouth. Very young still.

And..........finished the evening with a digestif: Lentini's home made (from home grown lemons) Limoncello. It was ridiculously good.

If I missed anything, maybe one of the guys can fill in the blank(s). A wonderful night with a GREAT group of guys.

PH

Posts: 15238 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post