WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    December 2012: What are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December 2012: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A gift from my stepbrother at Christmas in 2005: a 2001 William Hill Cabernet Sauvignon. Nothing mind blowing, but certainly drinkable, dare I say enjoyable. 88 pts.

Posts: 1488 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Maldonado Chardonnay Los Olivos Vineyard.

Posts: 3433 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
- 2007 Ridge Santa Cruz Mountains Estate

Excellent Smile

Posts: 1292 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 M. Chapoutier St. Joseph Blanc Les Granits

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 5972 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't leave us hanging, gig? How was it?

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WE had the 04 Les Grantis at our Off Line in Nashville a couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful. How was the 06 gig?

Posts: 1891 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With grilled salmon tonight;

2006 Doaine Serene Gold Eagle PN

Posts: 1891 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2002 Cos D'estournel- good,not great, needs more time.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5433 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Enjoyed at lunch today.

2004 Artadi Vina El Pison

Would you say it's ready yet? I just have a single bottle.

Hawk, hold this wine. The best is yet to come.

That's what I figured.

Thanks for the input.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 2892 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:

It was very enjoyable; displaying honey, lemon, flowers, and lanolin. The wine possesses the typical oily texture with a perfect, imo, acidic backbone and lengthy finish.

A couple more years should bring even more balance as the alcohol (14.5%) needs to integrate a bit more.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 5972 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Saxum Bone Rock. Awesome! Ready to drink now and may go another 3 years. Great pairing with lamp chops at The Ranch in Anaheim. You need to go to this restaurant now as it is highly Zagat rated and will be more difficult to get reservations in the future.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jul 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- 2007 Ridge Santa Cruz Mountains Estate

Excellent Smile

Did you ever had the 2006 ?

dzitt

Posts: 743 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
2002 Cos D'estournel- good,not great, needs more time.

I have 3 bottles of this Dok. How much time? 3-5 yrs? The reason I ask is I had a 02' Pichon Baron a month or two ago and it was starting to hit its stride...probably will never a great wine...but a solid 90 pointer IMO.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:

It was very enjoyable; displaying honey, lemon, flowers, and lanolin. The wine possesses the typical oily texture with a perfect, imo, acidic backbone and lengthy finish.

A couple more years should bring even more balance as the alcohol (14.5%) needs to integrate a bit more.

Sounds like it be good for a massage! Smile

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gig- I have a few bottles tucked away and opened one shortly after release. Similar flavor notes, but I also noted (back then) that the acidity was very high and I thought it would take a decade for it to come around... Do you think this is a try in 2017 bottle or would you look to 2014-15?

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Saturday with homemade lasagne

2001 Vitanza Brunello di Montalcino -- good. I have one more bottle and not in a huge hurry to drink as it might get better and will surely hold.

2006 Santa Margherita Chianti Classico -- won this is part a raffle from a fundraiser. I would have said Calif. Cabernet just based on the nose. Flavors were more typical Chianti, but seemed a more modern. OK overall

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2573 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
over the last week:

1999 Philliponnet Brut (April 06 disgorgement) - great bubbly and ready to drink
2004 Smith Haut Lafite Blanc - ready to drink - rich and expressive nose
2008 Stefania Syrah - poured a glass - all blood, meat and wound up - recorked and had the next night - very nice and smooth. HOLD
2008 Stefania SCM - Paul's description (or was it Stef?) of a supertuscan is right on. Decant and drink away, but will probably reward 1-3 years of cellar time.
2004 Moulin St. George - see TN under the 04 thread. Probably waited too long on this one. Astringent
2003 Lopez de Heredia Bosconia Reserve - very nice, ready to drink with half an hour in the decanter to sort itself out. Not a long term hold
2007 Solitude CdP - ready to drink if you want something primary and full of fruit - can also wait for a little more softening.
2007 Bosquet de papes CdP - smoothing out - probably needs another year or 3 to show its best. Will try again in 2014

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel

Very approachable. I opened and let sit for 2 hours (did not decant) and it was drinking fine through the last glass 3 hours later was the best.

French wine made in Cali. Lovely dark fruit, great backbone though tannins were silkier than I expected. Very clean, some garrigue but no barnyard.

In Canada? Really? Duties in?

Posts: 2016 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saturday night:

2000 Charles Ellner Brut Prestige
1999 Fuligni Brunello di Montalcino
2000 La Spinetta Barolo Vursu Vigneto Campe
2001 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Rio Sordo

More comments later but the La Spinetta is drinking really well and was the WOTN. First of a six-pack of 1999 Fuligni for me, and is early into its drinking window but I would like more tertiary development. Really nice stuff though. Similar story for the Produttori Rio Sordo.

Posts: 10695 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Charbonniere CdP Vieilles Vignes - Corked Mad

Posts: 205 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a good weekend:

Moet & Chandon Grand Vintage Brut 2002
2006 Antinori Solaia
2008 Antinori Guado al Tasso
Sassacia grappa

Posts: 517 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Pahlmeyer Red.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2273 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Pavelot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er cru la Dominode - first bottle from the case I bought, it is as always a great wine. A steal at $45.

Posts: 967 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse:
2010 Pavelot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er cru la Dominode - first bottle from the case I bought, it is as always a great wine. A steal at $45.

How does it compare to the Dominode from Chanson ?

dzitt

Posts: 743 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Alexana Pinot Noir Revana Vineyard
2010 Penner-Ash Pinot Noir
2009 Dehlinger Chardonnay Estate Bottled

Posts: 3546 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post