WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    December 2012: What are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December 2012: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
My last one was corked. Such is wine.... Frown

PH

I'm thinking '89 Bordeaux is not your friend. Razz

That is three I'm aware of.

Man, I hope that's not the case. I have just a few more that I'm counting on.... Have a 1989 Lynch Bages standing for holiday consumption. If it comes close to my last bottle, my 1989 curse will be done for a while.... Wink

PH

Posts: 15036 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
1989 Leoville Las Cases

My last bottle was oxidized (3 days ago). Frown

Dok, from the batch you got from me? If so, I'm sorry to hear that. I've opened 2 that were ok from the same case.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened a '99 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc, and as oxidized as any wine I can recall. Looked like a 100 year old Sauternes.

I rebounded with the 2005 J-P Fichet Puligny Montrachet Les Referts 1er Cru

Posts: 30050 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today at lunch:

2003 Chateau Haut-Bages Liberal Pauillac
2000 Chateau Yon-Figeac Saint-Emilion
1982 Chateau Beauregard Pomerol

Posts: 2542 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Anne Boecklin Riesling Schlossberg Kientzheim-Kayserberg

Posts: 2754 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night at Paese with friends. They have a new Sommelier, David Kipis, who was at Senses in the Soho Metropolitan before. The menu they planned to go with our wines paired beautifully, and served family style like the last couple of offlines at Paese.

Starters:
2000 Charles Ellner Brut Champagne
NV LAURENT-PERRIER CUVÉE ROSÉ BRUT CHAMPAGNE

Charcuterie boards with:
Salami, prosciutto…
Whole fresh pulled buffalo mozzarella, honey, …

Duckconfit
In mason jars: duck confit on bottom, foie gras mousse in middle, port & wine reduction jelly on top -yum.

ANTIPASTO:
1985 Brane Cantenac
1989 Cantemerle

Grilled Shrimp
Cannellini beans and gremolata
Meatballs
House ground beef short rib, sirloin, brisket and
Pecorino, braised in tomato sugo
Grilled Octopus
Potato, grilled escarole, mint, lemon and chili oil

MAIN COURSE: MAIN COURSE
1995 Camensac (Haut Medoc)
1997 Berliquet (St. Emillion)
1998 Berliquet (St. Emillion)

Lamb Ribs
Mustard crust, heirloom carrots, salsa verde, and a raisin
green olive mostarda
Steak and Poutine
Smoked skirt steak with potato gnocchi, sun dried tomato
bbq sauce, smoked mozzarella and green onions
Ricotta Gnocchi
Roasted chicken, squash and mascarpone sauce

SIDES:
Rapini with garlic, lemon and extra virgin olive oil
Brussels sprouts, smoked bacon and asiago cheese

Cheese Platter:
2004 Villemaurine (St. Emillion)
2009 Jackson Triggs Meritage, Grand Reserve

Local and Italian cheese selection , Sicilian pistachios, honey comb and rum raisin soaked, cinnamon sticks...

DOLCHE:
1976 Ch Gilette
1985 Ch Gilette (corked)
Pumpkin Caramel Bônet
With amaretti cookies and a golden raisin and rum compote.

I had been concerned after learning last week of Gordon's departure, however, last night's experience bodes well for future offlines and wine dinners at Paese (King St). Banana Banana

Posts: 1834 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Aubert
1982 Baronia Gran Reserva

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11926 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Fontanafredda Dolcetto Briccotondo

Posts: 1580 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Domaine des Miles Chablis - wonderful pairing with some chicken piccata.

Posts: 3573 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1999 Frescobaldi, BdM, Castelgiocondo
2008 Mas Doix, Priorat, Les Crestes

Suckling overrated the Castelgiocondo by 4-5 points. My bottle was certainly no 95.

Posts: 10036 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1996 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon

1996 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Calon Ségur

Posts: 993 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Frescobaldi, BdM, Castelgiocondo

dzitt

Posts: 844 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 Pavillon Rouge du Chateau Margaux

Posts: 1567 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:

Wine Doc, your thoughts on this? I've been holding one for a while and not sure when to drink it. TIA.

Posts: 2754 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:

Wine Doc, your thoughts on this? I've been holding one for a while and not sure when to drink it. TIA.

This bottle is brilliant. Everything you would want from an aged claret. A great nose of fruit and that Bordeaux earthiness. Tannins have completely integrated with wonderful fruit on the palate. I believe this is drinking well, and I would not hesitate to open if the occasion arises. For us, it was ham, salami, and cheese night!
This one is very approachable and ready to go, as opposed to a 2001 Maragux I had last month which was still a toddler.

Posts: 1567 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
quote:
Enjoyed at lunch today.

2004 Artadi Vina El Pison

Would you say it's ready yet? I just have a single bottle.

Hawk, hold this wine. The best is yet to come.

Posts: 30050 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:

This bottle is brilliant. Everything you would want from an aged claret. A great nose of fruit and that Bordeaux earthiness. Tannins have completely integrated with wonderful fruit on the palate. I believe this is drinking well, and I would not hesitate to open if the occasion arises. For us, it was ham, salami, and cheese night!
This one is very approachable and ready to go, as opposed to a 2001 Maragux I had last month which was still a toddler.

Interesting. Think I'll stand one up.

PH

Posts: 15036 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1990 Il Poggione Riserva BdM - A very good bottle that shows the sweetness and purity of the fruit that only comes with maturity.

Posts: 2175 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 Chateau Gazin Pomerol.

Posts: 9404 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Scholium Project Scythia Donati: This bottle was a little past prime. The last I had 2 years ago was in the sweet spot.

Posts: 923 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
2000 Chateau Gazin Pomerol

How was this? I recently purchased 2 x 2001 Gazin.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5672 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Camille Giroud Gevrey-Chambertin Les Crais

dzitt

Posts: 844 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:

dzitt

I'm curious, did you open because you think it is ready, or a different reason?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:

dzitt

I'm curious, did you open because you think it is ready, or a different reason?

Simply because I was in the mood to enjoy a nice Pinot Noir. It is quite good actually. Might do a TN Smile

dzitt