WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    December 2012: What are you drinking?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December 2012: What are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted
2009 Tommasi Valpolicella 'Rafael'

Posts: 1073 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what I will enjoy tonight with my bride, but heading to offsite soon and will select a couple of bottles off of the very top shelf.

Our first grandchild was born this week, and we can finally celebrate. Cool

Posts: 30040 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Wine + Art.

Tonight our Memphis area group will be doing our annual Christmas dinner with several bottles being opened. I will try to write some impressions, but sometimes you just need to drop the pen and focus more on whats important; the people and the occasion. I may have to do impressions from memory, or what memory I will have left Smile

Posts: 922 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats, w+a!

I'm sure some 2012 NZ Sauv Blanc is available if you want to celebrate the birth year!

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

Congratulations!

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6059 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:

Congratulations!

Time to start looking for the birth year wine Big Grin

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6284 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Gramps! I hear 2012 is a great vintage for Shiraz.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36772 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I did not intend to highjack this tread.

As for the birth year, this little girl will have her entire family loving and toasting her regardless of vintage throughout her life. She was born without a heartbeat and not breathing, and will now be coming home tomorrow and is completely healthy.

Posts: 30040 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max:
...sometimes you just need to drop the pen and focus more on whats important; the people and the occasion. Smile

Well said, Max

Posts: 15449 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

A damned good thing that the girl resembles the females in her family!

All the best to you and yours, w+a. Wonderful stuff!!!

PH

Posts: 15032 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the w+a's!
I'm very happy for you all.

Posts: 15449 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'08 LAN edicion limitada

Posts: 1491 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Congratulations !

JL

Posts: 1677 | Location: Montréal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats W+A.

2006 Daniel Rion, Nuits-St-Georges, Les Grandes Vignes

There were some negative comments here recently about the 2009, but nothing wrong with the 06.

Posts: 10033 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats W+A. What birth year 2012's are you looking to put away for him/her?

2007 Renato Ratti Barolo Marcenasco. Just decanted - great nose. Big tannins right off the start.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:

2007 Renato Ratti Barolo Marcenasco. Just decanted - great nose. Big tannins right off the start.

Would be interested to know your thoughts of this wine.

Congrats W+A!

Posts: 253 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1999 Mas de Daumas Gassac with cassoulet.

Wine a little on the drying side, but good cherry and raspberry fruit and amazing mature notes of leather, earth, mushrooms. Yum.

Posts: 581 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congrats!

Posts: 6444 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dow 85
and some crappy italian

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11903 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 Domaine Pascal Cotat Sancerre Les Monts Damnés

JL

Posts: 1677 | Location: Montréal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, w+a on your progression from "Dad" to "Grandpa". Smile

2008 Domaine Gille NSG Les Brulees.

Posts: 2747 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:

Congratulations, w+a on your progression promotion from "Dad" to "Grandpa". Smile

+1

I've been told that there is even greater joy in being a grandparent than in being a parent. Congratulations, w+a!

Tonight, NV Bollinger Special Cuvee, probably more than 1 bottle, and whatever our friends serve us afterwards.

Cheers!

Posts: 8362 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the best to yours and congrats W+A. We know that more females in the family isn't a bad thing, eh?

2008 Walter Hansel North Slope Vineyard Pinot Noir - a nice drinking CA Pinot

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xhoser,

Posts: 2542 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:
quote:

Would be interested to know your thoughts of this wine.

Congrats W+A!

Garnet brick colour of medium depth. Immediate earthy mushroom forest floor on nose. Could be mistaken for burgundy on nose. Followed by notes of tar, tobacco, and stewed red fruit. Beautiful intoxicating nose. Big tannins on palate (right out of decant). Reall big on the palate with some alcohol heat on the finish. This wine needs time.

At 3 hours, it's opened up and softened nicely. Still some (alcohol) heat on nose and finish. Bit of dark cherry coming through. Tannins have softened but are still mouth filling. It's a bigger wine than their 2006, which was much more approachable at this age. I'm thinking of going back and picking up a few, then leaving them for at least 3-5 before starting into them (reason I popped one to try it out). Good QPR.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 Guigal Hermitage

Posts: 1039 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post