WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Favorite WIne Related Books
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite WIne Related Books
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Windows on The World, The New France and Hugh Johnsons fourth addition of The World Atlas Of Wine are the only wine books that I own that Iv'e read cover to cover. I do browse alot of wine books at the Borders bookstore chain here in the twin cities though.

Posts: 9476 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some already mentioned, but I enjoyed:

The Billioniar's Vinegar by Ben Wallace
The Joy of Wine by Alexis Lichine
The Quotable Wine Lover (great book of wine-related quotes and musings)

"There's no substitute for pulling corks" ~ Alexis Lichine

Posts: 175 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD | Registered: Apr 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
World Atlas of Wine - Robinson/Johnson

is there a book with better maps?

www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Posts: 451 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not much of a reader, I think the last book I read cover to cover was "The Lord of the Flies" for high school. This thread prompted me to go out and buy "Billionaires Vinegar". Great read!

I'd like to pass it on to a forumite member so first one to email me I'll ship it to you. The only thing I ask is when finished with that you do the same and pass it along to another member.

email david at insidetracknews dot come

Posts: 2280 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*Bump*

I'm happy to send this book on a voyage - drop me an email and its yours

quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
I'm not much of a reader, I think the last book I read cover to cover was "The Lord of the Flies" for high school. This thread prompted me to go out and buy "Billionaires Vinegar". Great read!

I'd like to pass it on to a forumite member so first one to email me I'll ship it to you. The only thing I ask is when finished with that you do the same and pass it along to another member.

email david at insidetracknews dot come

Posts: 2280 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to get super-geeky about it, read Emile Peynaud's "Knowing and Making Wine." Warning there is some chemistry.

Posts: 244 | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just picked up a book called "Living with Wine," displaying some of the most impressive cellars in the U.S. Great coffee table book.

Posts: 175 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD | Registered: Apr 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjp_oenos 1:
just picked up a book called "Living with Wine," displaying some of the most impressive cellars in the U.S. Great coffee table book.

Did it show Board-O's Big Grin

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6409 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure, but it does have Ryan Seacrest's!!

posted Hide Post
The best I have ever read are Michael Broadbent's two books The Great Vintage Wine Book and The New Great Vintage Wine Book. True, they are now a bit out of date, but nothing else comes close that I have read for teaching what each vinicultural area really should be like in bottle.

Posts: 3 | Location: United States of America | Registered: Feb 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All,

The most interesting Wine Book I ever read is titled "On Wine" by Gerald Asher published in 1982. I think it will be hard to find, but if you can, definitely pick it up. It is a collection of previously published articles. The are VERY insightful, he brings a neat perspective to a lot of different area's of our favorite past-time.

Maybe one of the (other) old timers here or a WS contributor remembers this one.

Also, regarding terroir, buy "Terroir" by James Wilson. It is literally a geologic textbook on the vineyards of France. If you have the faintest belief in the concept of terroir, this book will convince you.

Posts: 886 | Location: Buffalo , New York | Registered: Jul 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best read lately was "Niagara's Wine Visionaries" by Dr. Linda Bramble of Brock University. Excellent read. ISBN 978-55277-429-8

Posts: 147 | Location: Buffalo NY  | Registered: Sep 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spanish tourist board puts out a freebe on wines of Spain. Interesting read. Not much that we already don't know though.

Found a revised book "Wines of the Finger Lakes". Updated with more of the current wineries.

Posts: 6409 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers:
Spanish tourist board puts out a freebe on wines of Spain. Interesting read. Not much that we already don't know though.

I have it. I like the maps and it should be helpful in planning a wine-related trip to Spain.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36982 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished "In Search of Bachus" by
George Taber..Excellent read about wine
tourism around the world.
George Taber is the guy who wrote "The judgement
of Paris" several years ago.

"A bottle of wine contains more advice then any self help book in the world"

Posts: 1044 | Location: Around Boston | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my Thrift store travels

'Blood & Wine' - The unauthorized story of the Gallo Wine Empire.

'Century of Wine' - The story of a wine revolution.

'Americans in Bordeaux' - A practical guide-book with Colloquial Sentences Smile

I'm excited to read them all, but the last one is amazing. It was published by G. Delmas in 1917 and is a pocket size hand book on Bordeaux written in the day with large pull out maps. A real find.

posted Hide Post
2 books i'd absolutely recommend:

1) Terroir: The role of Geology, Climate and Culture in the making of french wines, by James E. Wilson
That one dives deep into the matter.

2) Great wine terroirs, by Jacques Fanet
That 2nd one is very interesting in the way it finds similarities in Old World and New World terroirs. (eg Loire, Vinhos Verhes are Geologically related to vineyards in Australia and South Africa, for instance. Or eg: Savoie, Jura, Valais are geologically related to California and Chile and Argentina)

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1933 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just finished "In Search of Bachus" by
George Taber..Excellent read about wine
tourism around the world.
George Taber is the guy who wrote "The judgement
of Paris" several years ago.

+1

All of Taber's books are excellent, to include the one about Corks & other closures.

I would also add:

"Reading Between the Vines," by Terry Theise

"Making Sense of Wine," by Matt Kramer

"Napa: The Story of an American Eden," by James Conaway (The best historical reference to Napa I have come across)

Posts: 1607 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burton Anderson, The Wine Atlas of Italy

Kerin O'Keefe, Brunello di Montalcino

Tom Maresca, The Right Wine: A User's Manual

Nicolas Belfrage, Brunello to Zibibbo

Nicolas Belfrage, Barolo to Valopolicella

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Summer in a Glass" re the FL Wine growers and explorers in teh field.

posted Hide Post
The Mystique of Barolo, Maurizio Ross & Chris Meier

Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia

The Great Domaines of Burgundy, Remington Norman et al.

Ziraldo & Kaiser: Icewine, Extreme Winemaking

Lots of nice picture: YQUEM by Richard Olney

Books I don't really enjoy: Hugh and Jancis' World Atlas of Wine and Jancis' Oxford Companion. The Oxford Dictionary is more fun.

Posts: 1952 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post