WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Most Embarrassing Wine Moment
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most Embarrassing Wine Moment
 Login/Join 
posted
What was your most embarrassing wine moment? Was it drinking a bottle of wine and raving about it to have someone else tell you it was corked? Mispronouncing a wine or appellation? Spilling wine on a date? Dropping a friends $200 bottle of wine. What was it?

Posts: 287 | Location: Healdsburg, Ca | Registered: Oct 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It probably was when i sold a bottle of Jordan at the restaurant i work at. It was 95 dollars and I was only 18 years old, i was so psyched that i had sold it and i was really nervous when pouring it. My hand was shaking and i accidentally spilled some on a guys hand. I know, jordan not worth the excitement but i was new at the whole waiter thing. Wink

"I like my women like my wine"

Posts: 188 | Registered: Nov 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure why but this topic sounds vaguely familiar.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13668 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's what I was thinking.

Maybe it was an 01 Brunello Keeper thread. He had so many great ones in such a short period. Some still stick with you Smile

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah, they are characterized with quick shot questions and point of reference examples. Perhaps a statement about how a certain vintage is showing. Throw in some bad grammar or misspellings . Then a combative follow up. Boom there you have it.

"I like my women like my wine"

Posts: 188 | Registered: Nov 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does this include the "Skirt tucked into the stockings" kind of embarassment? Probably not! Guess the wine was incidental!

Posts: 75 | Location: El Cajon, San Diego County | Registered: Jun 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drinking and dialing! Not a good pairing!

Posts: 1411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Healdsburg Gal:
What was your most embarrassing wine moment? Was it drinking a bottle of wine and raving about it to have someone else tell you it was corked? Mispronouncing a wine or appellation? Spilling wine on a date? Dropping a friends $200 bottle of wine. What was it?

My most embarrassing wine moment?

That's easy..signing up for these boards. Red Face

Posts: 1871 | Location: NYC | Registered: Sep 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Gigond Ass told me Cotes Du Rhone was mostly Grenache, not Syrah.

I am surprised I have not had one of those moment where I go to take a sip and the wine goes down my chin onto shirt, or even a cough sending wine into my nasal and sinuses. Not many besides here.

Posts: 8799 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
I am surprised I have not had one of those moment where I go to take a sip and the wine goes down my chin onto shirt, or even a cough sending wine into my nasal and sinuses. Not many besides here.

Wait, I thought that how you were supposed to experience the nose. You mean its not!?! Red Face Red Face Red Face

Posts: 2961 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's what I was thinking.

Maybe it was an 01 Brunello Keeper thread. He had so many great ones in such a short period. Some still stick with you

I was thinking recently about my most embarrassing moment which is why I asked the question. My most embarrassing moment was about 7 years ago when I was dating my now husband. I was trying to impress him with how handy I was in a winery. I had been working at a small winery and was put in charge of tracking the wines progress during harvest. It was late at night and we were in the winery alone. I was taking a brix sample and opened the wrong valve to a tank and got covered head to toe in red wine and seed. It was brutal. I looked and was a complete fool.

Posts: 287 | Location: Healdsburg, Ca | Registered: Oct 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's actually a sweet story, no pun intended.

"Asking government to fix this crisis is like asking the arsonist to put out the fire." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 4510 | Location: Dubai | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My first corked bottle of Match. Frown

-----------------------
Randy Sloan, Owner / Vintner / Filler of Fax Paper
Match Vineyards
http://www.MatchVineyards.com

Posts: 1691 | Location: Napa Valley and East Bay | Registered: Oct 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Randy Sloan:
quote:

My first corked bottle of Match. Frown

Was it embarassing enough to want to switch to Stelvin?

Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tannic bastard:
Was it embarassing enough to want to switch to Stelvin?

No. I contacted the owner and he provided a replacement bottle immediately, no questions asked. Razz Big Grin

-----------------------
Randy Sloan, Owner / Vintner / Filler of Fax Paper
Match Vineyards
http://www.MatchVineyards.com

Posts: 1691 | Location: Napa Valley and East Bay | Registered: Oct 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Admitting to a fellow wine lover that I post on a "Wine Bulletin Board."

There was an awkward silence after that one.

SmileCD

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers." Henry V, William Shakespeare

Posts: 215 | Location: CA | Registered: Jul 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not realizing that people can't live on wine alone.

What?

Posts: 4 | Location: I don't know, but it's windy... | Registered: Apr 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two come to mind:

1.) While in a Yakima Valley winery tasting room, I was trying a little too hard to shake the last few drops of a taste into the dump bucket and paying too little attention to what I was doing. A rather hard "shake," and CRASH! the glass hit the dump bucket and exploded. There wasn't a face in the tasting room that wasn't gawking at me! Red Face

2.) I was trying to impress my friend early on in my wine-geek years with a waiter's corkscrew, holding the bottle above the counter with my other hand. Finally, the stubborn cork gave up, and the cork hand flew up, the bottle hand down, and CRASH! the bottle hit the counter hard, wine flying everywhere. Fortunately, the bottle didn't break. The counter top nearly did, though!

Cheers!

Posts: 2926 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:

Wait, I thought that how you were supposed to experience the nose. You mean its not!?! Red Face Red Face Red Face

Maybe if you want to dare to be different like cdr you could pursue it. Who knows, you might start a trend.

Posts: 8799 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cal-Duck:
Admitting to a fellow wine lover that I post on a "Wine Bulletin Board."

There was an awkward silence after that one.

SmileCD

It's embarassing isn't it. For the most part I am in the closet about it.

posted Hide Post
Getting drunk at an offline and admitting to Tbird that I cut & pasted a bass guitar track using Pro Tools instead of recording an entirely new take of the entire song to correct one bum note. Eek That's something you're not even supposed to reveal to your spouse. Red Face

But it's OK, I'm an attorney by trade, not a music biz person, so I've got my appellate court brief all written if it goes that far. Wink

Posts: 2509 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have expected that most people's embarassing wine moments involved pronouncing wine names - like the first time you ordered Echezeaux, or Vosne Romanee.

Many years ago, I was on the interstate highway going north from San Diego and stopped on the shoulder to look at a map. A policecar pulled in behind me and the nice gentleman swaggered over to ask me what I was doing as he put his hand on his shooting pistol. I explained that I was looking for what exit to take for La Jolla. He replied "That's La Hoya, boy" and stomped off. I sometimes still feel the same way about wine. Smile

Posts: 5199 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One summer in college, I was a server on one of those executive cruise liners that poodle around the Med for 2-weeks at a time on company expense. Well, I was serving this delicious Mouton Rothschild to one of our host's guests, and he suggested a claret would pair better with dinner. Naturally, I appologized, and excused our cellar for being poorly stocked with clarets(hell, the boat is only so big, right?).

Then he muttered something about my aftershave (I guess he's not a fan of Issey Miyake) and rats, and next thing you know I'm in the Western Med watching the boat go by without me. Talk about embarrassing Eek!

At least that's one mistake I learned not to repeat.

Posts: 80 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jul 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My most embarrassing wine moment was sort of intentional.

It was a pre-Yankees game jaunt to one of the local bars outside Yankee stadium with friends. We bellied up to the bar, close to all the yelling, and everybody ordered beer, except for me.

I said, with completely ridiculous intentions, "may I see your wine list?"

The rest of the bar-belliers roared in disapproval. The bartender said "we got white, we got red."

Hey, at least I intended to embarrass myself. Easy to live down.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Mar 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After raving to friends at a dinner one evening, about how much they'd enjoy the '97 Gualdo al Luco I'd brought, BOTH bottles, in a row, were corked!! Eek Frown

Posts: 15726 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post