WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Where to Buy Stems / Decanters / Accessories in Toronto?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to Buy Stems / Decanters / Accessories in Toronto?
 Login/Join 
posted
Torontonians

I used to buy all my stems, decanters, accessories at The Wine Establishment, on Esplanade. But they are out of business. Frown

So I am looking for a new physical store.

Any suggestions?

Who else has a wide selection of stems and decanters in TO?

Who has the best prices?

Thanks

Jhcolman

Posts: 832 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jul 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not in Toronto, but still GTA.

http://www.epicureshop.ca/

Posts: 53 | Location: Ontario,Canada | Registered: Dec 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winners. I've picked up a bunch of riedel stems and decanters there for a song.

Posts: 1546 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beta P:

Epicure looks good. How are their prices?

Posts: 1891 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:

Epicure looks good. How are their prices?

Target may be ok when it opens. I've picked up Riedel at lower prices in U.S. at Targets.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1 Right now all their stem are 20% off. Think their decanters are too.

Posts: 258 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend amazon. even with shipping it will be better prices than that website. Especially for the Schott Zwiesel line.

Posts: 43 | Location: chicago | Registered: Oct 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what quality or brand you're looking for, but right now the William Ashley's warehouse sale is happening and they sell stemware and decanters. They only do this during Christmas. I haven't been for many years but their prices are reasonable for the higher end brands like Riedel.

Posts: 1252 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although they don't have a comprehensive selection, Costco has served me well as they've got the best prices I've ever seen on Riedel Vinum; stems, stemless, and decanters.
You'll find selection varies from location to location so if you're willing to do a bit of driving.....
Come to think of it, I've found some pretty decent glasses at great deals at winners/homesense. A few months ago I picked up 8 Nachmann Burgundy (Riedel Somm replicas) for $5/glass. Same situation as costco, selection sometimes varies by location.

Posts: 219 | Location: Upper Canada | Registered: Feb 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:
quote:

+1 Right now all their stem are 20% off. Think their decanters are too.

Regular prices aren't cheap, but they frequently have sales.

Home Outfitters has also been good for various stemware.

Posts: 53 | Location: Ontario,Canada | Registered: Dec 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have had great luck with Costco. I have saved hundreds of dollars on stems and decanters buying from them. I'm in Vancouver, but I can't imagine that the selection is that different in Toronto.

Posts: 129 | Registered: Nov 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of surprised, are you regularly in the market for glasses and decanters?

Outside of the very rare occasion when I break a glass I haven't even thought of buying any in years. Same goes for decanters. Once you have what you need (I have three wine decanters which is about 1 more than I need) why do you need a local for more?

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2363 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I'm kind of surprised, are you regularly in the market for glasses and decanters?

Outside of the very rare occasion when I break a glass I haven't even thought of buying any in years. Same goes for decanters. Once you have what you need (I have three wine decanters which is about 1 more than I need) why do you need a local for more?

Well, between my occasional wild gestures (I recently gestured a glass clear across the room) and my families washing skills (I now wash all stems and decanters myself), we have had some breakage. I hope that a switch from Riedel Vinum will reduce breakage of day to day stems. But I do prefer to physically see the stems before I buy (for myself and friends). And support my local wine accessories store.

Anyway, thanks for the earlier suggestions for stems and sources, Rob.

Cheers

Jhcolman

I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles. - Bishop of Seville

Posts: 832 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jul 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of excellent advise and ideas.

Most appreciated.

Thank-you all.

Jhcolman

I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles. - Bishop of Seville

posted Hide Post
Rosehill Wine cellars are an excellent source of all related accessories...Costco is excellent as well with amazing prices..

Posts: 174 | Location: Kitchener, Ontario Canada | Registered: Apr 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winners in the Home Sense area.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5726 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Winners in the Home Sense area.

Agreed. I buy all of my Reidel stems at Winners/Homesense and my Reidel decanters at Costco.

Cheapest anywhere IME but the selection isn't great (mostly Vinum or lower). I have a few super expensive (and way too big) Sommelier Series stems, but I find i rarely use them.

I'm back....

Posts: 4491 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not i have picked up some great deals on stems at The Bay, you have to make sure they have a sale going on cause regular prices are not good but the sales are crazy, sometimes you will find 60% off or more and they carry some decent stems, i buy the Bormioli stems for every day use, they dont break easy and i can usually get them cheap!

http://www.bythevines.com

Posts: 544 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Home Outfitters (a subsidiary of the Bay) currrently has Riedel on sale. Selection and prices were decent in Oakville on Monday. I'm not sure of the inventory now.