WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    So many wine offers...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So many wine offers...
 Login/Join 
posted
It's amazing the amount of wine offers we received from wineries.

In the last hour, (hour!) I've received Realm, Drinward Peschon, Schrader Aston Pinot, Williams-Selyem, Martinelli, and Myriad Syrah.

It must be so hard for wineries nowadays. There are just so many options, and so much competition.

What really blows my mind are the wineries that, in this environment, continue to have awful business practices (hostage wines, expensive shipping, rampant price increases, etc.).

Just rambling, but it's truly amazing to see how much wine is made available.

Posts: 4807 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very true. We are passing on all. Having recently moved the entire cellar first from old house to FKG's parents' house - then into new house - we have too much wine and I don't want to look at any more boxes. Should have had a CDP before the move - Our new set-up is sweet though. Miami Atty can vouch for it as he came by on Saturday with a nice house-warming gift. Thanks dude.

Posts: 5882 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where's the new place? What neighborhood?

I'm having a similar realization in terms of sheer wine volume. I now have 2 Eurocave's (approx 160btls total), 190btls in my uncle's cellar, and 160btls in offsite storage. I'm not looking forward to dealing with the renovation in the house this year and how it'll work in terms of wine logistics.

I'm no longer buying "alright stuff", and shooting more for mid-high-end stuff. I told myself I'd limit myself to 3 cases per year, but it's February and I've already bought about 2.5 cases.

I'm drinking a fair amount less, as well.

Posts: 4807 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
I told myself I'd limit myself to 3 cases per year, but it's February and I've already bought about 2.5 cases.

Big Grin You're not the only one! I will be buying the Drinkward Peschon today, as I really did love that the first time I had it. Besides that, I'm going to try and cool down a bit myself due to some work around the house and a potentially large tax bill.

Posts: 3086 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pulled the trigger on Myriad, but passed on the others. Myriad's shipping costs are very fair ($3.75/bottle).

What bothers me sometimes are the minimum orders, or increments. For example, 6x of the Aston PN is too many. They'll sell out anyway, so I'm merely barking at the wind.

Finally, I noticed all offers are on Tuesdays...kind of like CD releases on Tuesdays, movies on Fridays, etc.

Posts: 854 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm having a similar realization in terms of sheer wine volume. I now have 2 Eurocave's (approx 160btls total), 190btls in my uncle's cellar, and 160btls in offsite storage. I'm not looking forward to dealing with the renovation in the house this year and how it'll work in terms of wine logistics.

I'm no longer buying "alright stuff", and shooting more for mid-high-end stuff. I told myself I'd limit myself to 3 cases per year, but it's February and I've already bought about 2.5 cases.

I'm drinking a fair amount less, as well.

+1 to all of this.

I used to think I wanted a cellar of 800-1000 bottles. Now I am thinking about 250-350 is plenty.

This is going to come out snooty but I really dont mean it that way. I am only buying high end stuff. I want a wow experience once a week or every other week, not a daily pretty good experience.

Im also drinking a lot less wine and a lot more beer. Beer has gotten so much better and more interesting in the past few years. Plus, with a 2 year old running around the house, its just easier and more practical to have one beer at night instead of opening up a bottle, letting it breath, not finishing it and vacumn sealing it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jburman82,

Posts: 4456 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2012FinalsMVPisclutch:

Im also drinking a lot less wine and a lot more beer. Beer has gotten so much better and more interesting in the past few years. Plus, with a 2 year old running around the house, its just easier and more practical to have one beer at night instead of opening up a bottle, letting it breath, not finishing it and vacumn sealing it.

blasphemer!

Razz

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3446 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's amazing the amount of wine offers we received from wineries.

In the last hour, (hour!) I've received Realm, Drinward Peschon, Schrader Aston Pinot, Williams-Selyem, Martinelli, and Myriad Syrah.

It must be so hard for wineries nowadays. There are just so many options, and so much competition.

What really blows my mind are the wineries that, in this environment, continue to have awful business practices (hostage wines, expensive shipping, rampant price increases, etc.).

Just rambling, but it's truly amazing to see how much wine is made available.

+1

BTW, if you're passing on Realm, my friend loves the stuff and will take it off on your hands.

Posts: 1511 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

After submitting my original post, this is also a conclusion I came to. I no longer open a bottle of wine for myself. If my roommate wants wine, I'll open a bottle and we'll share. Otherwise, I drink beer 85% of the time. Beer has gotten so good, and shops are carrying such great beers, that it's an extremely viable alternative. There's a fantastic beer shop about a half mile from my house, so that helps.

The only time I open wine for myself is if I'm cooking myself a dinner that makes me think "oh, this would go SO well with X wine". Otherwise, it's pretty much always beer, now.

On a similar note, the craft spirits market has blown up as well. So now I'm more inclined to prepare a cocktail.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I used to think I wanted a cellar of 800-1000 bottles. Now I am thinking about 250-350 is plenty.

This is going to come out snooty but I really dont mean it that way. I am only buying high end stuff. I want a wow experience once a week or every other week, not a daily pretty good experience.

Honestly, I think that's just part of a 'maturing' process. My cellar has decreased in size 30% and dropping. I'm buying much better 'drink now' while the cellar thins down to true long term cellering bottles. I've no issue with that at all. It just seems natural to center upon areas that you get to know very well, what you like very well, and what cellaring you prefer. It all comes with time which you now have behind you, LBJ.

Posts: 15381 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hostage wines, I love that one... but it's pretty much the deal.

Mailing lists are kind of a trap, not much better pricing than the retail market and shipping to the east coast is another 60.00 minimum.

Posts: 913 | Location: SW CT | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fcs:
hostage wines, I love that one... but it's pretty much the deal.

Mailing lists are kind of a trap, not much better pricing than the retail market and shipping to the east coast is another 60.00 minimum.

I only buy from mailing lists whose wines I can't find in stores, or are more expensive in stores (No Girls, Saxum, Alban, Stefania, Ian Brand, Schrader, Tensley, Ilsley, etc.) and I completely avoid anyone who overcharges for shipping, and buy extra from wineries that don't charge for shipping.

posted Hide Post
I agree on the free shipping....its a nice touch! Infact, I was going to spend about 3K on a case of mixed Champagne from a big time vendor, I inquired about "free shipping" and was told because it was Champagne and the bottles are heavier that the shipping would actually be more than regular shipping. Really? Needless to say, I took my buisness elsewhere.

My cellar is full at about 1100 bottles or so....I find myself buying stuff to drink while I wait for the wines to mature in the cellar....but tend to drink 1-3 higher end bottles per week. Enjoy distilled beverages and beer in the place of wine as well.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2723 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Still in Hollywood, other side of 95. 1/2 mile from Miami Atty's place.

Posts: 5882 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honestly, I think that's just part of a 'maturing' process. My cellar has decreased in size 30% and dropping. I'm buying much better 'drink now' while the cellar thins down to true long term cellering bottles. I've no issue with that at all. It just seems natural to center upon areas that you get to know very well, what you like very well, and what cellaring you prefer. It all comes with time which you now have behind you, LBJ.

We are also at this point. I've bought very few wines for the cellar in the past year and mostly buy "daily drinkers". Life is too short for "hostage wines"!

Also I now have a part-time wine gig of sorts and about the last thing I want to do after that is drink wine. I guess that is upside for the cellar. Smack

Posts: 1894 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winetex:
quote:

We are also at this point. I've bought very few wines for the cellar in the past year and mostly buy "daily drinkers". Life is too short for "hostage wines"!

Also I now have a part-time wine gig of sorts and about the last thing I want to do after that is drink wine. I guess that is upside for the cellar. Smack

Who is this that has taken over Winetex's account, and what have you done with her? Smile

Soooo, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

Posts: 1100 | Location: Hudson, OH | Registered: Nov 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, sooo many wines to chose from, sooo many offers, sooo little time to drink it all, and sooo few dollars to spend (not to mention sooo little room left in my cellar). One would think that prices MUST start trending downward eventually (???)

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3042 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on everything said

I went "list crazy" this year and stocked up on a bunch of '09's, but am starting to get a little wine fatigue. With the weather starting to warm up in Big D soon, I'll likely start working in more beer and other cocktails on the weekend. Also agree with an earlier post that trying to knock out a full bottle with just my wife can be tough on a work night. Oh well, I can now just let those babies sit and age!

Posts: 54 | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post