WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Label Protection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Label Protection
 Login/Join 
posted
Can anybody share some insight on how/if they are protecting their bottle labels from humidity, scuffs, etc?

I have heard of some using saran wrap. From those who have, any long term issues?

Posts: 1291 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thought has never occurred to me.

PH

Posts: 14645 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wrap them in Saran Wrap.

Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't use anything but you can spray the labels with hairspray.

VM

Posts: 12067 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is hairspray? Is that like head wax?

I too never considered it, but I suppose if they really were important to me I'd use saran wrap.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5516 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I too never considered it, but I suppose if they really were important to me I'd use saran wrap.

For personal consumption, I could care less about the labels, as long as I know what I'm drinking! I recently had the label of a '96 Las Cases completely separate from the bottle. I'm thinking the temp/humidity change from the shop to the cellar could have been the reason. That, and huge, non-plastic coated labels suck anyways! But, some Scotch tape fixed it right up.

In terms of collecting & trading, we all know how much label condition affects the value of our wine. I guess it's kind of like baseball cards.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some rubberized green mesh bottle covers on some of my "delicate" darlings.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5432 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None for me. Have seen some wine shops use the plastic mesh though.

Posts: 9281 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use this:

Label Protector

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2484 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
I use this:

Label Protector

EXTREME Label Protection!!! LOL

posted Hide Post
condoms, man.

Posts: 4339 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
condoms, man.

i heard latex chafes

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 10990 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just use duct tape, it works for everything else.

Smack

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 393 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
just use duct tape, it works for everything else.

And hell, you need it next time we get a maroon alert. Or vermillion. Or whatever the color was when you were supposed to be a little more scared but not too much.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2484 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just peel all the labels off when I buy the wines. That way I can keep them nice and safe.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 2888 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a roll of warehouse pallet shrinkwrap. Twice around and pull the excess off the punt. Works well in a very humid cellar. I go through too much to use saran wrap.

Posts: 157 | Location: Birchwood, WI | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would rather look at the cellar humidity. Label should never come off unless it is extremely high. Once the bottle make home onto the racks, they stay there and never get touch until I'm drinking it. No issue at all for scratch or scuff.

http://www.h2o2winecellardesign.com/

Posts: 2059 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post