WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wine Flipping Poll
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine Flipping Poll
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've bought a few in larger quantity than I planned to drink thinking I might put some to auction some time down the road - drink some, put a few in auction later. However, as I start drinking them, my interest in putting them in an auction seems to depreciate.

Conversely, I have been tempted to sell, at auction, a few bottles that have appreciated greatly.

I don't consider trading/selling/buying with friends at cost, or in some instance at low wine searcher, to be flipping.

Posts: 1968 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey its capitalism, if one can flip why not??

Posts: 3736 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
I have...but not at a profit...yet.

I have a 'few' cases of 1st growths that may help buy a couple books for my kids freshman year of college....if they dont go or get a 'free ride' then the bottles will be opened...not sold Cool

I'm in the same boat. Bought a good deal of '05 Bordeaux for the purpose of flipping at the time. Never got around to it, and now I plan on holding to drink.

However, once my boys hit college age in the next 15-17 years, I may get back to the thought of selling them.

Outside of that, I have never bought something I didn't plan on drinking.

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 1029 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've flipped wine. With the profits I've purchased wine. Then I drank the wine. No more profits.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holding at 74% no. Very interesting results so far. I wonder if it's a statistically significant result yet. WEc, you have a thought on this???? Wink

PH

Posts: 15347 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes - Been awhile, but I used to have a good DRC source. Basically I'd buy enough to pay for one bottle I'd keep. Since the Sideways->Pinot is my favorite-> Burgundy is made from Pinot -> I love Burgundy craze, that source dried up.

There's so little wine that's flipable these days that I'd say the 'no' answers may have to do with the economic reality than any intent of the buyer.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7682 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never flipped, and I don't intend to.

Although most of the wines in my cellar are auctionable, they probably wouldn't sell for much more than what I paid. I have maybe a few flippable wines in my cellar that would generate enough profit to consider it. I bought them with the intention of drinking, however, and that's what I still intend to do.

My wife is not so enthusiastic about my wine-buying habit, so I try to tell her that my cellar investment is like a Life Insurance policy--If I croak, she can sell off my collection and keep the cash.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3224 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Holding at 74% no. Very interesting results so far. I wonder if it's a statistically significant result yet. WEc, you have a thought on this???? Wink

PH

Don't encourage him. Smile

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 3007 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
I have never flipped, and I don't intend to.

Although most of the wines in my cellar are auctionable, they probably wouldn't sell for much more than what I paid. I have maybe a few flippable wines in my cellar that would generate enough profit to consider it. I bought them with the intention of drinking, however, and that's what I still intend to do.

My wife is not so enthusiastic about my wine-buying habit, so I try to tell her that my cellar investment is like a Life Insurance policy--If I croak, she can sell off my collection and keep the cash.

I like that thought, although my wife would probably drink through it. And my collection is nowhere near enough to support her shoe habit

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 1029 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post