WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wine Flipping Poll
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine Flipping Poll
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Never done it, partly because I,ve never bought anything flippable. But I think I'd probably do it in cases where the price is riduculously good if you buy a significant quantity and that qauntity exceeds what I want to consume or can afford. I don't think I would ever buy a bottle exclusively to flip it.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1458 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would never say never in flipping a wine. For me, it's just not practical to sell onesies and twosies even if they've doubled in price. If I can purchase a couple of cases of Masseto, Vega Sicilia, etc. at a time, I would probably flip them.

Posts: 4954 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:

I am not a fan of it to be honest.

This surprises me. Why? Are there other commodities that you'd frown on being flipped?

PH

Unlike art, cars, etc., wine is just not something I think of people as "collecting." I think of wine as something that people appreciate or enjoy. To get on a list simply so that you can turn around and sell the bottles puts you in the same category as those that wait in line just to buy an Apple product to turn around and sell. The joy I personally get from sharing a bottle of something nice or "coveted" vastly exceeds any sort of joy I would get from making some money on it. That is why I have never signed up, and never will sign up for KB, Marcassin, and some of the other "cultish" wines... I don't like to drink it, and I am not gonna sign up for it just to flip it.

It is just my opinion... Everyone is free to do as they wish.

The Dude abides.

Posts: 2337 | Location: San Francisco and Taipei | Registered: Jun 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Unlike art, cars, watches, etc
Wink

Posts: 29519 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done it simply to allow me to justify other wine purchases.

Posts: 2515 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted no, as I've never flipped a wine. While I'll never say never, I don't have any intention of flipping any either. I've got a small cellar (~400 bottles), so I buy what I enjoy drinking and sharing.

Posts: 481 | Location: Nashville,TN | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winetech:
I voted no, as I've never flipped a wine. While I'll never say never, I don't have any intention of flipping any either. I've got a small cellar (~400 bottles), so I buy what I enjoy drinking and sharing.

Only on this forum does 400 bottles constitute a "small cellar." Wink

The Dude abides.

Posts: 2337 | Location: San Francisco and Taipei | Registered: Jun 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heck, then what does my miniscule 200 or so constitute? A nice party, I guess. Smile

Posts: 5122 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very very rarely

Posts: 5526 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Winetech:

Only on this forum does 400 bottles constitute a "small cellar." Wink
LOL. You're right, I should have said "comparatively speaking..." Razz

Posts: 481 | Location: Nashville,TN | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Heck, then what does my miniscule 200 or so constitute? A nice party, I guess. Smile
Nah, a well selected, appropriate for you, cellar. On the other hand..hummm a nice party Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
To get on a list simply so that you can turn around and sell the bottles puts you in the same category as those that wait in line just to buy an Apple product to turn around and sell.

Actually the Apple thing is simply flat out dumb. There's not going to be a shortage, so there's no logical reason to pay extra for something you'll be able to buy. So you get it a week or two before anyone else. That's worth something? After the 2 week period, or whatever it is, your product is worth less than ever - it's a used product and it doesn't matter that you had it a couple weeks before someone else.

But because there are such suckers, I think it's an opportunity. The way Apple gets their stock over $1000 a share is by making some limited runs of their popular items. For example, instead of the silver casing on their Macs iPads or whatever, they could so a very very very subtle metallic shade, say lavender, blue, green, orange, etc., and only make a few thousand in that color.

Limited releases.

That would artificially create scarcity and the boneheads who stand in line waiting for the new Apple products would then be able to justify doing so.

And of course, the coloring should be all Apple, in other words, so faint as to be nearly impossible to notice unless you set two devices next to each other. That keeps their whole minimalist aesthetic going and ensures that the scheme appeals to those who are deeply addicted to the Kool Aid.

Flipping wine is completely fine by me. It's what anybody in the business does - you buy a few pallets of something, sell it for more than you paid (hopefully) and buy some more to repeat the activity.

If you buy wine for $100 and someone is willing to pay you $200, why not? He's happy, you're happy, everybody is happy. I think it's entirely possible to enjoy it in exactly the same way one enjoys anything else one collects. That's the whole point of those cellars with custom redwood racking and mood lights isn't it? To say "look what I have!"

And frankly, flipping provides a service. It can be like insurance.

Maybe somebody didn't buy a wine because it wasn't reviewed. But you bought it for $100. Then it gets a high score and the person who didn't buy it needs it. How else will he get it? He wasn't going to buy it if it didn't have a high score because then he'd be stuck with something low-scoring. So he waits until he's certain and pays a little extra. But now he has no risk - he knows he'll like the wine. It's a bit like insurance - you pay a little more for certainty in life.

While I don't object at all, I've never sold any wine as one private individual to another. I keep planning to dump some stuff that I just don't like all that much, but somehow never get around to it.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2471 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I think of it this way. Now mind you, I have never done it, but let's just say you got in on the ground level of a wine that was well within your price range. The wine grew becoming very popular, garnering high praise and scores. As time goes by, the prices creep up and up. It gets to the point that you can't afford to buy it anymore. It was people like you that helped make this wine a success, buying in the early years and being faithful year in and year out. Now you are faced with a decision, buy the three bottle allocation (which has slowly been cut back due to the wines success) with the intent of selling one or two of them to cut the "per bottle cost" such that it remains at a price point that you can still afford, or drop off the list essentially being forced off from a wine that you followed. Should a winery really be that upset that a long time customer has to jump thru hoops now just to enjoy one or two bottles of their wine?

Posts: 63 | Location: Petoskey, MI | Registered: Oct 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon B:
Should a winery really be that upset that a long time customer has to jump thru hoops now just to enjoy one or two bottles of their wine?

If you're discreet, they'll never know.

PH

Posts: 14639 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only occasionaly buy wine other people actually want to drink.

Posts: 8506 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
does giving the wine away for free count as flipping?

I've done it when someone needs a bottle for a tasting.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 10946 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only once bought a wine with intention to sell it for a profit. It was a 1997 Andrea Oberto Barolo Vigna Roche. I bought 5 cases cheaply and auctioned off 4 1/2 of them. I've tasted a couple of bottles. Should have auctioned them all.

I have auctioned other wines, but I didn't buy them with the intention of selling them.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36395 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iv'e never flipped any of my wine but I've sold some older vintages of Dominus to a friend for $20 more than I paid for it per bottle.

Posts: 9270 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Iv'e never flipped any of my wine but I've sold some older vintages of Dominus to a friend for $20 more than I paid for it per bottle.

You slut! LOL

Seriously though, why $20? It seems so insignificant as to not be worth calculating.

PH

Posts: 14639 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You slut! LOL

PH

A good thing, right?

Posts: 29519 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never flipped for a profit, but I do sell at cost all the time.

Posts: 1219 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You slut! LOL

Seriously though, why $20? It seems so insignificant as to not be worth calculating.

I figure it's the fee for properly storing and aging the wine in my Vintagekeeper 250. Woot

PH

Posts: 9270 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have...but not at a profit...yet.

I have a 'few' cases of 1st growths that may help buy a couple books for my kids freshman year of college....if they dont go or get a 'free ride' then the bottles will be opened...not sold Cool

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2686 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 6L of 2009 Pontet-Canet with a 50-50% chance that I would flip it. It's a wedding year wine and would be perfect for a 50th anniversary, OTOH it's already worth a whole lot more than I paid for it and where am I going to store it for the next 40 years???

In Canada? Really? Duties in?

Posts: 1998 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post