WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    special bottle poll
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

special bottle poll
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For example you take my 1 bottle of 2001 Masseto and it will for 4 people in 2015. Myself, my wife, my dad and his wife. Unless of course another couple travels to Louisville with a good vintage of Petrus in hand and it will be for 6.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5022 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think with another couple is the best answer, but all of the others work. It's not just a matter of the how many, but the who.

Sitting around with nothing to do is great until you have to do it. - Dave's daughter

Posts: 451 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Aug 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I answered C as being the ideal.

In reality my best bottles go to offlines that are 8+.

Posts: 8733 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the above (depending on setting)

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5764 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
I suppose that d) is closest to the "sweet spot", but as others have stated it's about the occasion and the people. Any of the answers except for a) could and have applied.

+1. Everything except (a), depending on circumstance. I just can't see myself cracking a great bottle alone.

Posts: 2842 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
All of the above (depending on setting)

+1 (b - e)

Posts: 15568 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very rarely would a open a special bottle by myself and aside from 2 occasions never with * or more. ANd for the record what bottle do you drink with 2-4 people and have a couple of glasses of it?
I answered b but ideally its 2 wine geek friends and I. A good friend of my enjoys wine, has a pretty good palette but has no idea about labels, prices, etc. I have slipped him some serious wine over the years without letting on and he often picks em out as being "on the spot"

More about who than how many for me I guess.

Posts: 793 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post