WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    special bottle poll
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

special bottle poll
 Login/Join 
posted
As some the special bottles in my cellar are approaching maturity, I've been thinking more and more about this.

Question:
When you pull a special (rare, expensive, and/or "trophy") bottle from your cellar, what is the best number of people to share it with?

Choices:
a) Nobody. I want it all to myself.
b) Just one other person, that way we can savor it over several hours
c) 2-4. It's more enjoyable with company, but this way everyone can have a couple of glasses to really savor.
d) 5-8. A rare or expensive trophy should be shared among several friends
e) More than 8. PARTAYYYY!!!!

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so hard to say

sometimes people just raid the cellar and take out random bottles.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11856 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to answer for me. I've opened half bottles of 1953 Petrus for my wife and me. I've opened Imperials (6 liters) of 1979 Pichon Lalande and 1979 Leoville Las Cases for groups of 40-50. Assuming you're talking about a 750, it depends on the occasion. It could be for our anniversary and just the two of us, or it could be for a group at an offline. I would hate to open a special trophy bottle, like a DRC, for more than 6 people.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36762 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It' very hard to say.

Consider one extreme- the anniversary party this past summer during which our friends opened the '82 Latour, among many other trophies- there were 30 people in attendance, and everyone that wanted a taste got one- in fact a few of us got a couple of tastes. In fact, only a few of those wines were finished that first night. Yes, tastes were very small, but i don't think anyone cared much about the size of the pour- it was about celebrating a special night with friends and some terrific wines. So if a crowd is of one mind and respectful of one another, a trophy can indeed be enjoyed by a lot of people.

I would never open a trophy bottle just for Domino and I, unless it was an anniversary bottle...though even then I don't know if I could do it. I'd have to have already shared a bottle or have more bottles in the cellar to share another time- then I could burn one on just the two of us. Still, I think we'd probably invite a few friends to celebrate with us and share the experience.

So in my world, I think 5-8 is about right, perhaps three couples being ideal. Everyone can still get a fairly good-sized pour that could be followed over a couple of hours if need be.

Posts: 1575 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could really go with anything but choice E, (and even E is sometimes fun!), but ultimately, my favorite way is to enjoy with 2 or 3 close wine geek friends, so we can savor and discuss over a few hours while the wine evolves in the glass, usually with another bottle or two open for comparing and contrasting. Therefore, I chose C.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was assuming 750 ml bottle for this question.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
It' very hard to say.

I would never open a trophy bottle just for Domino and I, unless it was an anniversary bottle...though even then I don't know if I could do it. I'd have to have already shared a bottle or have more bottles in the cellar to share another time- then I could burn one on just the two of us. Still, I think we'd probably invite a few friends to celebrate with us and share the experience.

So in my world, I think 5-8 is about right, perhaps three couples being ideal. Everyone can still get a fairly good-sized pour that could be followed over a couple of hours if need be.

Agree with most of what you said, except that I would open a special bottle for just the Mrs. and I. But I think 5-8 would be a nice number in general.

Posts: 3563 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My approach is a little different- I open whatever whenever. Life's short, if the wine is ready I might drink it on a Tuesday night in front of the tube. There will be other wines at other times, I'm not going to sweat it. OTOH if there are a few people to share with then even better.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5560 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends. I have a few special bottles that I am saving for special occasions that would probably be shared with my wife or my wife and another couple. I am also not afraid to pull special bottles out for off-lines with considerably more in attendance. So I vote f) all of the above. Smile

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2878 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have often wondered about this when I read the posts here about the trophy bottles consumed at off-site affairs. I can't imagine experiencing the full effect and pleasure of a wine with more than 4-6 people sharing the bottle.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes....it depends. I only have a couple dozen bottles or so that I consider truly special, only in that I'll likely never be able to replace them. I've opened most of my previous "preciouses" with groups of 4-6 and one with two dear friends during a wonderful dinner.

I'm saving the rest for special moments. I don't know what they are yet, but I'll know them when I see them.

I voted "c" just because it's the closest to my track record so far.

PH

Posts: 15017 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are no special wines. Just special occasions.

There is no right answer to the poll.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grossie:
My approach is a little different- I open whatever whenever. Life's short, if the wine is ready I might drink it on a Tuesday night in front of the tube. There will be other wines at other times, I'm not going to sweat it. OTOH if there are a few people to share with then even better.

that just means you have no "special" bottles ;-)

though I'm with you on this, I've randomly opened a fonseca 77 just because I wanted something that was ready to drink.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11856 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Yes....it depends. I only have a couple dozen bottles or so that I consider truly special, only in that I'll likely never be able to replace them. I've opened most of my previous "preciouses" with groups of 4-6 and one with two dear friends during a wonderful dinner.

I'm saving the rest for special moments. I don't know what they are yet, but I'll know them when I see them.

PH

bring one up to NY and I'll cook protein of your choosing ;-)

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
I keep all special bottles to myself. I prefer to be like Gollum:

"It's mine, it came to me, I found it. My preciousssssss."

Razz

Posts: 6439 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:

There is no right answer to the poll.

I'm with any man who quotes Epicurus, even if it's a loose quote.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7627 | Location: San Jose | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

PH

bring one up to NY and I'll cook protein of your choosing ;-)

Cool Winner

PH

Posts: 15017 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5 - 8 in a tasting setting
One other person for a sentimental bottle

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 689 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there was no option for all of the above.

maybe there are degrees of special bottles where one may protect its comsumption to a smaller number. But I can defintely desire for the 6 or less options.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 449 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went with one special person. Better to mark an event or memory sgare

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6281 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:

I'll be repeating that. Winner

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1932 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am also not afraid to pull special bottles out for off-lines with considerably more in attendance.

+1

When your offline group is generous enough to reciprocate the gesture, there's no problem with sharing a special bottle with a larger group.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Grossie, we don’t designate wines as “special occasion” wines and will open anything, any day of the week. That said, I guess we do have a few bottles set aside for anniversaries and birthdays but those are more sentimental to us and not necessarily rare or expensive. My favorite person to share a special bottle with is my wife, but if it’s an offline than I think 4-6 is the perfect number to enjoy special bottles. With 4-6 you should be close enough to enjoy a nice conversation and everyone gets a good pour to take their time with. If it’s an offline that is about meeting people and having a relaxed time with good food and wine I say the more the merrier.

Posts: 6441 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do have a few special bottles that are earmarked for consumption with this or that person who I think would specifically enjoy the bottle. Often, that would be in a setting where there are a few others in attendance. And I also have other bottles in mind to drink with my wife. But my wife, I think, would rather drink something simple that she knows she likes, or something with sentimental value, than drink a "Trophy" expensive bottle of something that's not up her alley. For example, I think she would rather have another bottle of the nice Chianti we shared once on a date, than the Musigny sitting in my cellar.

Stay thirsty my friends.

posted Hide Post
I suppose that d) is closest to the "sweet spot", but as others have stated it's about the occaision and the people. Any of the answers except for a) could and have applied.

Posts: 2928 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post