WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Sustainable Farming Practices.What's New?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sustainable Farming Practices.What's New?
 Login/Join 
posted
Hello All. I just wanted to let all of you out there know what Shannon Ridge Winery is doing up in Lake County, California these days. As of this year we are running about 1,500 head of sheep in our vineyards, and growing. This is part of Shannon Ridge’s sustainable farming practices. Here is a little history. A few years back my family had 100 sheep or so. One day a gate was left open, and the sheep got into our vineyards. We thought "oh no, this is not going to be good," but to be honest, the damage was not that bad. In fact there was no damage at all. The sheep were only eating the leaves, grass, and weeds in the rows, not the grapes at all. This was before verasion started. Come to find out the acid in the unripe grapes is too bitter for the sheep. The sheep also get 20% more protein when eating grape leaves than they do when eating grass. It is dessert-on-the-vine to them. When the sheep are grazing in the vineyard we call them our "Wooly Compost Machines” because of the natural "sustainable" fertilizers they leave behind. This has been a learning experience and we are still learning! This farming practice cuts down on herbicides and pesticides, and the sheep are actually doing our leafing for us, cutting down on vineyard costs. It is an amazing thing to watch. Here is a link to our YouTube Videos with the sheep grazing in our sustainable vineyards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wmApiqERl8. More information is available on our website as well at: http://www.shannonridge.com. I think what we are doing here at Shannon Ridge Winery in Lake County, California is pretty amazing. We would love to show everyone how we can all start being more sustainable and looking out for Mother Earth.

Posts: 48 | Location: Clearlake Oaks, Ca | Registered: Feb 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll start the razzing =)

http://www.wpclipart.com/compu...mputer_key_Enter.png

how do you deal with mildew/odium or any other potentially wet morning / wet grapes in hot weather syndrome?

dunno how good teh goats would do.

and gophers do the goats scare them away?

what if you needed the canopy for shade the grapes from bursting/burning on really hot hot days?

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12037 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Audrey Shannon, it's great that you're happy about your own winery. But you should probably be aware that while other winery owners and winemakers often post here, they do so without the blatant self-promotion evident in your message. This is a venue to discuss, educate, debate, question, express opinions and engage in spirited intellectual intercourse about all things wine, food, travel and a thousand other unrelated topics. What it is not is a place to post an ad intended to drive business to your winery. Don't take my word for it: from Wine Spectator Forums Terms of Service:

Promotion of commercial outside interests in the form of spam is forbidden, i.e. spam posts that promote specific wineries, retailers or private-interest groups.

So stick around, join in the fun, and enjoy the ride. Just spare us the commercials.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Audrey Shannon, it's great that you're happy about your own winery. But you should probably be aware that while other winery owners and winemakers often post here, they do so without the blatant self-promotion evident in your message. This is a venue to discuss, educate, debate, question, express opinions and engage in spirited intellectual intercourse about all things wine, food, travel and a thousand other unrelated topics. What it is not is a place to post an ad intended to drive business to your winery. Don't take my word for it: from Wine Spectator Forums Terms of Service:

Promotion of commercial outside interests in the form of spam is forbidden, i.e. spam posts that promote specific wineries, retailers or private-interest groups.

So stick around, join in the fun, and enjoy the ride. Just spare us the commercials.

her profile states she's from the winery

tho might help if she puts it into her signature

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12037 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Audrey a few years ago Powell Yang, Brian Loring, Randy Sloan and I hashed out an agreement for wineries. We'd include our real name, job we do at the winery and winery name in our signature, as mine is below. It's more or less followed by people ITB here and calms nerves about self promotion.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7651 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blatant self-promotion incarnate. NYRetailer would be proud.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36782 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post