WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Carl's Jr. and Pétrus?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carl's Jr. and Pétrus?
 Login/Join 
Associate Editor
WineSpectator.com

posted
The Palms hotel in Las Vegas now offers a $6,000 hamburger (actually the staff just runs to the nearby Carl's Jr. and picks it up). Why so expensive? The burger is served with a bottle of 1982 Pétrus.

In a series of ads for the burger, the Maloof brothers, owners of the Palms, as well as of the Sacramento Kings, are depicted indulging in the extravagant pairing. But they aren't actually drinking Pétrus in the ad. This week's Unfiltered features a close-up shot of the label on the bottle in the ad, and we can't figure out what it is. Can you?

And what do you think of pairing Carl's Jr. with Pétrus. In Sideways, Miles pairs his 1961 Cheval-Blanc with fast food. Anyone care to admit to any other secret indulgences with their fine wines? I've always liked Champagne and salty french fries...

Rob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Robert Taylor,

Posts: 317 | Location: New York | Registered: Jun 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
splitting hairs but Joe & Gavin own the Kings, George Jr owns the Palms but you can throw it under the Maloof Brothers...

i wonder about that commercial? has anyone seen this combo? i've talked to people in Vegas about this and they have heard of it, but never seen as well...

you know how Carl's Jr advertizes the $6 burger... i wonder if that's the tie in to the $6k combo... from what i know most 82's go for 1/3 that price, even in Vegas, so i wonder... plus there's no Carl's in the Palm's... there is a McDonald's however (i wondered about that as well, if I was McDonald's I'd be pissed at that ad!)

but, Burger's do go well with a nice fruity red, though you wont see me popping 1st Growth's with a hamburger anytime soon...

maybe @ Father's Office! Cool

Posts: 4222 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone can offer a $6,000 burger. How many have they actually sold?

http://scmwine.info

Posts: 7218 | Location: Santa Clara Valley AVA | Registered: Jul 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think of Fast Food Burgers as having a lot of sodium and cooked brown in case their is a littl e coli running around. I am not a big food/wine pairing guy but I would rather have a ribeye with frites and plenty of bearnaise for dipping. Maybe a Filette Mignon.

Posts: 8762 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Calling Bella Donna: This is right up your alley!

Posts: 1824 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Sep 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who cares it's all pubicity anyway. And petrus is overpriced at a third of that anyway. 97 percent of the wine in the world made is a easy drinking beverage. I drink alot of wine travelling and just get a loaf of bread, some cheese and sliced meat and picnic with whatever wine we are drinking. For $6,000 I could have alot of fun in vegas and I'm not talking about gambling.

Posts: 9485 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
For $6,000 I could have alot of fun in vegas and I'm not talking about gambling.

What happens in Vegas stays in vegas Cool

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2995 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Taylor:
The Palms hotel in Las Vegas now offers a $6,000 hamburger (actually the staff just runs to the nearby Carl's Jr. and picks it up). Why so expensive? The burger is served with a bottle of 1982 Pétrus.

Rob

Huh! Do they ship to France? Big Grin

Posts: 22 | Location: BORDEAUX | Registered: Nov 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Who cares it's all pubicity anyway.

BINGO!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37006 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's like the $10,000 martini in New York (includes diamond ring), the $2,000 omlette with truffles or the $100 foie gras hamburgers which have been out there for a few years.

Few people, if any, will ever buy them, but you get lots of free press.

Hooters restaurant used to have a deal for a dozen chicken wings and a bottle of Dom Perignon for about $100. Not a bad deal, actually...

Posts: 6526 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back on topic -

I once ordered a pizza (not a chain) and had a 93 BV GDL. Was fantastic.

Posts: 1437 | Location: Land of the Sick Cab Weekend | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's a " 93 BV GDL", please? Confused

Posts: 22 | Location: BORDEAUX | Registered: Nov 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beaulieu Vineyards Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. It's the premier wine from that winery.

Posts: 227 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: Sep 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Natalie:
Beaulieu Vineyards Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. It's the premier wine from that winery.

Thank you Smile

posted Hide Post
These marketing gimmicks are cheap and unimaginative, in my opinion. Restaurants try this stuff all the time, whether it be the $500 per couple New Year's Eve, where you get to keep a couple of glasses and a signed menu, or hamburgers and Dom Perignon on a lunch menu.

For me, no marketing gimmick will ever beat happy people serving, fresh, well seasoned food at fair prices, regardless of the level of dining experience.

"Asking government to fix this crisis is like asking the arsonist to put out the fire." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 4510 | Location: Dubai | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdr11:
These marketing gimmicks are cheap and unimaginative, in my opinion.

As is starting an actual topic on this nonsense. Where is the imagination?
And then to boot, they give us Miles, that "smudge of excrement on a piece of toilet paper surging out to sea" as a benchmark. Please, who do you think we are?

Posts: 6988 | Location: ]0^0[ | Registered: Aug 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spenser:
Big Grin

I think we've discussed this previously.

I enjoy In and Out burgers with a Bordeaux, California Cab, or Zin.

Any kind of pizza with zin or a chianti.

Let me think of some more...

Posts: 6117 | Location: Cloud 9 | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obvisously, that is not a bottle of 1982 Petrus, or even, 1982 La Fleur Petrus. Also, look at the color of the wine being poured; it appears to be very young....

So, I would guess that it is a computer generated label, covering the label of a less expensive bottle of wine, and maybe it is not even a wine from Bordeaux!

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe this link will help:

http://www.avenuevine.com/movabletype/archives/001992.html

The last words of the immortal Socrates, who said..."I drank what?"

Posts: 11 | Location: Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Didn't exactly work for the arena measures that were on the ballot....

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9636 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it come with a cool glass?

Posts: 1478 | Location: Lincoln NE | Registered: Jul 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted Nov 09, 2006 12:29 PM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spenser:

I enjoy In and Out burgers with a Bordeaux, California Cab, or Zin.

quote:

I just ate and you are making my mouth water! Smile

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2995 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Say it's not so! I though that they were engaging in a public service! Wink

Posts: 1824 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Sep 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pizza with a Grange vertical 93, 97, & 98 Big Grin
Absolutely fantastic evening!!!

Ricky Bobby: Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for this wonderful meal, my two beautiful son's, Walker and Texas Ranger, and my Red-Hot Smokin' Wife, Carley
Carley Bobby: [raises hands] Woo!
Cal Naughton, Jr.: Mmmhmm!
Walker, Texas Ranger: Ow!

Posts: 181 | Location: Bozman, MT | Registered: Mar 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy the pairing of a good burger with younger CA Cult style Cabs.

I've had burgers with '82 Pichon-Lalande, but that wasn't as good a pairing as Harlan/Maya/HSS/etc

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7658 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post