WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    WAITING FOR BORDO: a short play
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WAITING FOR BORDO: a short play
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Danny Devito was there just to evoke the response it got.

I'm switching director assignment to the Coen Brothers.

Too bad Joan Crawford isn't still around.

[Wink]

Posts: 2214 | Registered: Nov 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My selection for cast members would be as follows:

Tommy Lee Jones........Jonesey
Michael Douglas........Board O

Due to budget constaints:

Tonya Harding.......Mishy [Wink]

Tonya wins the Oscar for best actress and Mishy goes to the stage and accepts it with her.

SIP SIP HOOREY

Posts: 596 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: Oct 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A-Tag,
So where's the new alien poster? Hasn't worked up the courage or what? Shame Missy shame. C'mon, stick your Toetag in the water.

Posts: 4425 | Location: New Orleans | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seaquam -- WOW!! [Eek!] Bravo!

What is incredibly impressive about this is how well you captured to tone of Waiting for Godot. Are you sure you're not a professonal writer?

If you don't mind, there's 2 questions I'd like to ask seriously: (1) how long did it take you to do this? (2) I know you said that you didn't change a word, but are those really Board-O, Mishy, and Jones's words? Did you not add anything?

A great read, and a worthy encore to your last epic! Thanks.

Posts: 364 | Location: Victoria | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
R-Tist,
All the quotes of mine are correct, and since I was involved in almost all of the quotes chosen for Bordo and Jones, I can say those were accurate as well. I noticed a punctuation missing, that was all ( a comma ).

Toetag, don't you like me ?! Tonya Harding ? - I find that an insult.

I love the 'As Good as it Gets' comparason with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt. That would seem very accurate to me [Wink] Except there would be no Jones, and we definately need a Jones.

Well Seaquam, we've had a rich time with your post once again..........I don't know what we'd do without you here. Thanks for the fun [Wink]

Cheers,
Mishy

Posts: 2752 | Location: Kelowna, BC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C'Mon Mishy....With all your kickboxing expertise, and her recent woopin of Paula Jones, I thought it had a ring to it. She might give Jonesey a run for his money [Wink]

SIP SIP HOORAY

Posts: 225 | Location: Jacksonville,Florida | Registered: Nov 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An incredible read! Certainly not something I'd ever have expected to find in a wine forum!

I'd like to echo Rtists question: how long does it take to write something like that, and why aren't you doing it professionally? You had an earlier post similar to this, and I remember thinking the same thing back then.

You're not a WS staff writer, are you? [Big Grin]

WW

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
R-tist, White, and others -- Thanks for the kind words, undeserved as they are.

Took about an hour to cull the quotes (if you click on a poster's star ratings there's a link to recent posts, which helps) and ended up with app. 100 for each player. While culling, certain key words or phrases cropped up; otherwise, anything interesting was cut and pasted to a Simpletext file, sorted by player. Then, an hour to sort the dialogue into a meaningful yet meaningless pattern a la theater of the absurd, and it was done. Two hours, start to finish. The idea for using Godot as a model came after I saw what I had to work with; originally, I thought about using The Three Spectateers as the model, based on a comment that YOU had originally provided, R-tist. Someone else can easily use this method to provide the next light reading for the forum.

Believe me, not one word was changed, and the only editing I did was ending sentences prematurely, so I put in some periods. The only difficulty was trying to end the scene on a positive note, so I had to go back a couple of times trying to find posts in which the players had expressed agreement. Otherwise, this was fun to put together. It amused the hell out of me, and if it made anyone else smile, then my pleasure is only magnified.

My alternative was to clean out my small half of my lovely wife's large closet. Doing this instead contributed to my passion for procrastination. [Smile]

Posts: 8588 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your wife isn't a franco-Ontarion named Michele is it? As far as I know, my wife never leaves town (without me, at least), but the similarities between yours and mine are spooky!

[ 04-02-2002, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: bman ]

Posts: 10737 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
King.....A-Tag is ready to post....She's having a hard time getting W/S to cough up the password. Hopefully she will be on the board tomorrow.

SIP SIP HOORAY

Posts: 596 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: Oct 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mishy--Demi Moore
Board-O--Al Pacino
Jones--Tim Robbins
Director--John Waters (speaking of pigs in undies)

Posts: 2059 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: Jan 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mishy- 'Mary' of The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Board-O- Oscar (Jack Klugman) Odd Couple

Jones- Felix (Tony Randall) Odd Couple

Posts: 25 | Location: Vanc. Is., B.C. Canada | Registered: Mar 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ToeTeam,
I await the first Missy post, with the prefunctory bated breath and editor's pencil clutched in hand.

Posts: 4425 | Location: New Orleans | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see who Tyee favors based on that cast. Either that or too much Nick at Night.

Posts: 2289 | Location: San Francisco, California | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tyee, how come I have to be the slob? (Don't say it, toetag!)

Posts: 37024 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board O....you weave a tangled web...Don't tempt me [Wink] [Wink]

SIP SIP HOORAY

Posts: 225 | Location: Jacksonville,Florida | Registered: Nov 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, before I knew toetag was a woman, I used her name in one of my favorite sayings. Now, it seems inapporpriate, so I'm looking for a replacement. [Razz]

Posts: 37024 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, OK, so Mary Tyler Moore might be a slight stretch for Mishy...what did you expect...Marge Schott!

Jones & Board-O, actually I happen to think the characters from the Odd Couple (Oscar & Felix) suit you two, not because of their perceived living habits, but because of their humor, wit, and how they fed off each other.

Posts: 2243 | Location: Vanc. Island, B.C. Canada | Registered: Dec 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second Tyees picks, although Mary is a very big stretch, even I have to admit that.

Jones, there are no 'perks' to following the teachings of the dark underworld, the actors picked 'in jest' reflect the character we see/read.

Board-O, i'm starting to like you again [Eek!] Please set me straight quickly !! - I would also guess you for an Oscar.

Cheers,
Mishy

Posts: 2752 | Location: Kelowna, BC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe current thought is that that task is impossible. [Cool]

posted Hide Post
Mishy I am really disappointed you didn't catch my Lucifer reference already me being the anti-christ and all.

Posts: 2289 | Location: San Francisco, California | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm....

"I Love Lucifer", starring Mishy Ricardo.

I think I feel the muse of Cutnpaste stirring within me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8588 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, SeaQ, we're a'waitin'.

posted Hide Post
Good grief, you ARE a stern taskmaster, Baord-O!

Isn't it enough that I've immortalized you and your triumverate already? Did Hamlet whine while Othello was being written? For what you're paying me for fame and glory that I know you'll eventually live off of, you can wait.

At least until the studio negotiations are over, that is. [Cool]

posted Hide Post
Seaquam:
Hmmmmm, Othello?!? Could be your next plot and could raise kickboxing to a new level. Perhaps written in a Fox Celebrating Boxing/MTV Celebrity Deathmatch mode? Just wondering aloud [Big Grin]

Posts: 1100 | Location: Hudson, OH | Registered: Nov 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post