WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2012 Wine Of The Year (WOTY)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
2012 Wine Of The Year (WOTY)
 Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:


A special note - the most unique experiences of the year which were a 1971 Ridge Geyserville Zinfandel and the 1855 Scion Port.


Indeed, and even better we could share them together. Cool

I also still think of the '79 Martin Ray Pinot. Eek

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wine+art,
 
Posts: 30262 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:

1961 Charles Vienot Clos de Beze


Just last night I was telling a friend about this wine and how well it was showing the night we had it. I also remember the label... CONTENTS: 1 PT. 8 FL. OZ. Big Grin
 
Posts: 30262 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I didn't drink very much wine in 2012, but the 2002 Spottswoode was a beauty!
 
Posts: 2280 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My "wine" of the year was actually the offline in Montreal with Longboarder, Robo Porker, KSCOs, basecadet and Vinaigre. It just so happens that we enjoyed amazing food at Joes Bistro along with fabulous wines. The '90 Beaucastel, '80 Col D'Orcia, '84 Diamond Creek Lake enjoyed on the patio with artisan cheeses and great friends just added to the pleasantries of the weekend. The '90 Guigal La Turque was wonderful, but truly enhanced by the company and food. I have been blessed with great family and friends. Who could ask for nything more.


Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Posts: 5809 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:

1961 Charles Vienot Clos de Beze


Just last night I was telling a friend about this wine and how well it was showing the night we had it. I also remember the label... CONTENTS: 1 PT. 8 FL. OZ. Big Grin


Funny I was talking about that night and the same 1 PT. 8 FL. OZ. as well last week. The 61 vienot clos de beze and the 79 Martin ray Pinot rank in the top 5 pinots I have ever had the pleasure of drinking.

G
 
Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
WOTY

1986 Leoville Barton

Fantastic! I can still taste it....


Cheers!
 
Posts: 28 | Registered: Jan 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:

1961 Charles Vienot Clos de Beze


Just last night I was telling a friend about this wine and how well it was showing the night we had it. I also remember the label... CONTENTS: 1 PT. 8 FL. OZ. Big Grin


Funny I was talking about that night and the same 1 PT. 8 FL. OZ. as well last week. The 61 vienot clos de beze and the 79 Martin ray Pinot rank in the top 5 pinots I have ever had the pleasure of drinking.

G


The Martin Ray was fantastic and as surprising as the Geyserville. Definitely the best CA Pinot I have tasted.
 
Posts: 2210 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
http://forums.winespectator.co...6091161/m/9207050932
Same as the thread I started in tasting notes.


www.twincitieswinetasting.com
 
Posts: 451 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:

1961 Charles Vienot Clos de Beze


Just last night I was telling a friend about this wine and how well it was showing the night we had it. I also remember the label... CONTENTS: 1 PT. 8 FL. OZ. Big Grin


Funny I was talking about that night and the same 1 PT. 8 FL. OZ. as well last week. The 61 vienot clos de beze and the 79 Martin ray Pinot rank in the top 5 pinots I have ever had the pleasure of drinking.

G


Definitely the best CA Pinot I have tasted.


Oh, not only the best Cali Pinot I have ever tried, I do not know what I would place second.

I'm wanting another '61 Burgundy. My mouth is salivating just thinking about the wine. Cool
 
Posts: 30262 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I cut back quite a bit this year from years past. Already posted my favorite champagne on the other thread.

White: 2005 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage Blanc

Red: 2007 Sine Qua Non Syrah Dangerous Birds


--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`
 
Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
1982 Haut Brion.
 
Posts: 1058 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have a split between 1982 La Tour Haut Brion and 1982 Penfold's Grange. Very slight edge to 1982 Penfold's Grange, very slight. Both were outstanding.
 
Posts: 950 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
For Domino and I, 2012 may well be the year by which all others are measured. We drank/tasted a lot of incredible wines this year, the majority of which were shared with us by good friends. I too ended up having a tie...my co-WOTY:

1990 Château La Mission Haut-Brion
1990 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape Hommage à Jacques Perrin


_______________________________________________________________________
Wine is passion. It is family and friends, warmth of heart, and generosity of spirit.
~ Robert Mondavi
 
Posts: 1628 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
1995 Lokoya Cabernet Sauvignon Mt. Veeder


---------------------------------------------------------
"...And so ultimately you didn't blame Lil John or Meat Loaf. You fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well-handled, sir. Well-handled."


 
Posts: 1408 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My modest list

2002 Domain des Baumard Coteaux du Layon Clos de Sainte Catherine
1969 Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Georges de Latour Private Reserve
2001 Rieussec
2003 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée de mon Aïeul
2004 Torbreck Run Rig


GG
 
Posts: 276 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: Apr 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Champagne
1996 Henriot cuvée des enchanteleurs
2002 Bollinger la grande annee brut

White/sweet white
2001 Rieussec
2001 Guiraud

Red
1983 Palmer
1999 Ausone
2002 Rougeard le Bourg
1995 Sassicaia
2007 Confuron-Cotetidot Echezeaux
 
Posts: 1006 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
If I had to choose just one, it would have to be the 1990 Avignonesi Vin Santo, but then I'm biased toward the stickies (My #1 wine last year was also a stickie - the '01 Chateau d'Yquem). Big Grin Despite being over 20 years old, this amazing Vin Santo had so much energy and depth, with layers and layers of decadent flavors!

If we're naming the best in categories, my best red would be the 2006 SQN Grenache "In the Crosshairs", my favorite white was the 2010 Guigal Condrieu La Doriane, and my favorite bubbly was the 2002 H. Billiot Brut, and since a stickie cleared the rest of the field, I'll give an honorable mention to the 1998 Kracher #13 Chardonnay Nouvelle Vague, also equal-to-or-greater-than any red, white, or bubbly I had this past year.


De gustibus non est disputandum.
 
Posts: 3951 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
+1 on Stickman's SQN!

Glad I was there to share his wine with him!!!
 
Posts: 1896 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
2012 was over the top , thanks to the TWC and visiting forumites from out of town.

The 1983 D'Yquem was a close to perfection as I've tasted in a white sticky and kicked but over the renowned 89 and 62 D'Yquems imo. Thanks Rob.

White Sticky:

1983 D'Yquem WOTY (c/o Rob S)
1990 Guiraud, 1976 Roumieu & Gilette close behind

Red Sticky:
2002 RDM Cab Franc Icewine

Dry Reds:
1998 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Falletto (c/o on the wine)
1986 Cheval Blanc
1989 Latour (c/o winderlust)
1989 La Chapelle (c/o mangiare)
1979 La Chapelle (c/o VinT?)
1989 Leoville Barton
1982 Leoville Poyferre (c/o aav28)

White:
2006 Beaucastel Roussane Vieux Vignes (c/o DoktaP)

Champagne:
1999 Salon (c/o aav28)
1990 Heidsieck (c/o Mangiare)

BEST DINNER OF THE YEAR: Cos/PL at Mangiare's!!!
Next best dinner: all the rest with forumites.
 
Posts: 1950 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
2012 was over the top , thanks to the TWC and visiting forumites from out of town.

The 1983 D'Yquem was a close to perfection as I've tasted in a white sticky and kicked but over the renowned 89 and 62 D'Yquems imo. Thanks Rob.

White Sticky:

1983 D'Yquem WOTY (c/o Rob S)
1990 Guiraud, 1976 Roumieu & Gilette close behind

Red Sticky:
2002 RDM Cab Franc Icewine

Dry Reds:
1998 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Falletto (c/o on the wine)
1986 Cheval Blanc
1989 Latour (c/o winderlust)
1989 La Chapelle (c/o mangiare)
1979 La Chapelle (c/o VinT?)
1989 Leoville Barton
1982 Leoville Poyferre (c/o aav28)

White:
2006 Beaucastel Roussane Vieux Vignes (c/o DoktaP)

Champagne:
1999 Salon (c/o aav28)
1990 Heidsieck (c/o Mangiare)

BEST DINNER OF THE YEAR: Cos/PL at Mangiare's!!!
Next best dinner: all the rest with forumites.

I thought the 1999 Delas Hermitage Marquis de la Tourettes that you brought to our pre-Christmas lunch certainly deserved at least an honourable mention.
 
Posts: 5177 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
+1 on that Delas! Smile
1982 Château Gruaud Larose c/o DoktaP
 
Posts: 1661 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
2012 was over the top , thanks to the TWC and visiting forumites from out of town.

Next best dinner: all the rest with forumites.

I thought the 1999 Delas Hermitage Marquis de la Tourettes that you brought to our pre-Christmas lunch certainly deserved at least an honourable mention.


Agree, the 1999 Delas Tourettes was one of the better Rhone wines of the year, and in the sweet spot for drinking now.
 
Posts: 1950 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
1990 Lynch-Bages
 
Posts: 342 | Location: Tx | Registered: Mar 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
+1 on that Delas! Smile
1982 Château Gruaud Larose c/o DoktaP


Such a good wine. Standing another. Cool

PH

<edit> the GL, that is...
 
Posts: 15305 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
1985 Dows (new years eve wine)/2010 Cuvée Baron Chateau Fortia
 
Posts: 96 | Location: Houston, tx | Registered: Jul 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2012 Wine Of The Year (WOTY)

© Wine Spectator 2013