WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Is giving wine air a myth?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is giving wine air a myth?
 Login/Join 
posted
"Susan Rodriguez, a research fellow at Cal State Fresno, recently did a blind tasting experiment and discovered that her panel could not tell the difference between a wine that had been decanted for two hours and the same wine right out of the bottle.

"The people who set it up were flabbergasted," Rodriguez says. "They were sure they could taste a difference."

I tend to agree

Posts: 30 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popcorn

Posts: 892 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is anecdotal though at best.
Who was the panel? What kind of wine? Etc.
This study isn't going to influence me to toss out my decanters!....Now, one of those gadget aerators, well....

Posts: 142 | Registered: Aug 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i know if i've been drinking for 2 hours I wouldn't know the difference between the decanted one and the one that was just freshly opened.

Yes please.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12330 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I always taste a wine right out of the bottle then decide how long to decant it if at all.

Posts: 9476 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The descriptions are too vague in the article to conclude anything.

Most wines will not improve with air, but most wines are also not meant to.

Northern Rhone reds in particular for me change quite a bit with air. Recently had the 2007 JL Chave St. Joseph. When I first tasted, it was rather ordinary and I didn't really detect much Northern Rhone character. Just seemed like a typical nice, but forgettable Syrah. After about 2 hours, it really opened up into something very nice.

So I disagree with the article.

Posts: 1692 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The extent, nature and timing of change really depends upon the wine and vintage. I have seen massive changes occur in wines during bottle airing, decant and in glass, often for the better but sometimes for the worse. Changes in character. Changes by the 1/2 hour. And sometimes no change at all. The study is absolutely full of s.., for the reasons that so many other studies are equally bs.

I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles. - Bishop of Seville

Posts: 861 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jul 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bordeaux4Wino:
This is anecdotal though at best.
Who was the panel? What kind of wine? Etc.
This study isn't going to influence me to toss out my decanters!....Now, one of those gadget aerators, well....

I broadly agree on the gadget aerators. I did some blind testing and noticed no difference. Probably because one pour through an aerator cannot do what 1 to 4 hours in a wide bottomed decanter will. I have a shelf full of worthless aerators,purchased before I knew better.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhcwine,

I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles. - Bishop of Seville

Posts: 861 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jul 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Were they drinking Fresno wines?

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6833 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The people on the panel regularly drink two buck chuck.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6619 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
The descriptions are too vague in the article to conclude anything.

Most wines will not improve with air, but most wines are also not meant to.

Northern Rhone reds in particular for me change quite a bit with air. Recently had the 2007 JL Chave St. Joseph. When I first tasted, it was rather ordinary and I didn't really detect much Northern Rhone character. Just seemed like a typical nice, but forgettable Syrah. After about 2 hours, it really opened up into something very nice.

So I disagree with the article.

i humbly disagree. I think all wines benefit from some air, even humble whites. Not saying that it is necessary to decant a simple white but I feel like even simple wines will evolve with a little exposure to air. Often
i have noticed nuances of lower end wines after some time in the glass.

Posts: 61 | Location: Traverse City | Registered: Oct 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the main things that happens is that the sulfur compounds become less noticeable - the "bottle funk" goes away. That can also happen, and in fact does happen, with very young wines that have recently been bottled too. Sometimes they're just too young and when you open them you can tell they've just been sulfured so a decant and in fact, a really vigorous shaking, can help them.

And sometimes no amount of shaking, no matter how violent, seems to work. I've suffered thru a few of those too. Just bad wine making I think.

As far as the panel goes - it's like so many of them. Being able to distinguish one from the other requires fairly close and analytical attention to the wine and most people don't taste like that, whether it be wine or anything else. Focus group tests and tasting panels combined with marketing geniuses have given us wonders like Pringles and McRibs.

The main thing to do with results like those in the article is pretty much to ignore them. Most people can't tell the dif? OK. "Most" people apparently prefer Yellow Tail and Two Buck Chuck to decent wine, otherwise how could they be selling millions of cases a year?

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2654 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I disagree with the panel.

Most red wines, and many white wines, improve with air-time in a decanter. I have absolute faith in this statement.

I have been a skeptic in the past myself, and one of my early wine "mentors", whose opinion I deeply respect, had claimed that "letting the wine breathe" was a bunch of baloney. In this case, I have become thoroughly convinced that he was wrong, and I have changed my tune.

Wine DEFINITELY can change in a decanter. Not that it always does, but I've never had a wine that was harmed by at least 30 minutes of air time.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3169 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Air certainly helps some wines open up, no doubt.

Where I think some wine drinkers are mistaken is substituting air time for bottle age.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2774 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
One of the main things that happens is that the sulfur compounds become less noticeable - the "bottle funk" goes away. That can also happen, and in fact does happen, with very young wines that have recently been bottled too. Sometimes they're just too young and when you open them you can tell they've just been sulfured so a decant and in fact, a really vigorous shaking, can help them.

And sometimes no amount of shaking, no matter how violent, seems to work. I've suffered thru a few of those too. Just bad wine making I think.

As far as the panel goes - it's like so many of them. Being able to distinguish one from the other requires fairly close and analytical attention to the wine and most people don't taste like that, whether it be wine or anything else. Focus group tests and tasting panels combined with marketing geniuses have given us wonders like Pringles and McRibs.

The main thing to do with results like those in the article is pretty much to ignore them. Most people can't tell the dif? OK. "Most" people apparently prefer Yellow Tail and Two Buck Chuck to decent wine, otherwise how could they be selling millions of cases a year?

I will say that I love the mcrib =)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12330 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's not. the "panel" was BS.

I've conducted this same experiment at home several time with friends who couldn't care less about wine, and it's patently obvious when a wine has been dumped into a decanter vs aerated vs poured directly from the bottle.

Posts: 5037 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will say that I love the mcrib =)

I do not recommend decanting your McRibs...they only get worse when exposed to air.

Posts: 892 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
it's not. the "panel" was BS.

I've conducted this same experiment at home several time with friends who couldn't care less about wine, and it's patently obvious when a wine has been dumped into a decanter vs aerated vs poured directly from the bottle.

Ditto on having tried this at home.

Single blind, very reproduceable.

Never struck me as potentially controversial.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1294 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.

Posts: 1309 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a myth, no. I think if I conducted the same experiment among friends I would get the opposite result 9 times out of 10.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The entire article is about wine needing air and there is (at the end) a brief mention of the contrary findings by the Fresno taste panel.

It's not a myth. Many (or even most) wines benefit from at least a bit of air.

-----------------------
Randy Sloan, Owner / Vintner / Filler of Fax Paper
Match Vineyards
http://www.MatchVineyards.com

Posts: 1691 | Location: Napa Valley and East Bay | Registered: Oct 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dry land is not a myth!!!!

Posts: 4599 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably. The question is how much air? I find a few minutes in the glass and anything more doesn't make a bit of difference.

quote:
Originally posted by Randy Sloan:
The entire article is about wine needing air and there is (at the end) a brief mention of the contrary findings by the Fresno taste panel.

Posts: 30 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StanS:
Probably. The question is how much air? I find a few minutes in the glass and anything more doesn't make a bit of difference.

quote:

I would say that there is great variability.

Sometimes, a couple hours later, a wine can become transcendant! Or, the opposite!

It's a dangerous game we play, eh?

Not only do we need to know the best year to open a wine, we also have to worry about the optimum moment to drink it!

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1294 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StanS:

quote:

I think that you are wrong. I think that a good deal of air can make a huge difference. For younger wines they open up, for very old wines they may fall apart with time. I've seen even very humble wines transform with air into something much nicer, and many, many, many times I have drank a wine for a couple of hours finding it to be decent, only to come back to a glass several hours later and realize the potential in the wine, and then to kick myself for lack of patience. I'm not saying that some amount of air will reproduce proper aging or can always coax a slumbering wine, but often air makes a tremendous difference.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post