WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Vintages November 24, 2012
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintages November 24, 2012
 Login/Join 
posted
http://www.vintages.com/circul...mobile/index.html#64

It's that time of year! A lot of big names. Beaucastel, Insignia, Dunn, Sassicaia, Ornellaia etc.

Posts: 252 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if it's the 2007 or 2008 Dunn HM that's being offered? The description cites the 2008 but the picture clearly shows a 2007 label. Duh.

Posts: 580 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd rather not splash out on the Dom Rose given it's $300, but the price is (odd for LCBO) competitive with the US and in the full-bodied, Burg style I really like. Want to taste the Ornellaia first as I found the '08 no better than the Serre Nuove at a third the price. Elderton Command is on the list, given back vintages I've tasted courtesy of Uncle John and basecadet.

Cennatoio makes overripe, flat garbage -- but at least the 2010 Chianti Classico is priced where it should be -- at $16. Think the 2006 was $25-30 and for whatever reason I bought 4 of them on release Smack . But I digress...

Posts: 748 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Mar 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
Does anyone know if it's the 2007 or 2008 Dunn HM that's being offered? The description cites the 2008 but the picture clearly shows a 2007 label. Duh.

Probably recycled. The picture, that is.

Posts: 1943 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Jul 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah it's Dunn's 2008

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 671 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5075 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody try the Cappellacio? It's usually a case buy in our household - just wondering if there are any red flags?

Posts: 1558 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Dunn Howell Mtn. did not make this release. Now expected on Dec. 8th.

Posts: 166 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Feb 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks on the Dunn - just saved me a trip.

Posts: 87 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quick thoughts via the Oakville tasting bar...

2009 Ornellaia -- Rich blackberry & bramble nose. Entirely primary. Silky smooth. Perfectly integrated tannins. Great structure; allows the elements to come together without calling attention to itself. Rich midpalate (previous vintage was very hollow) and lengthy minute-long finish. This will be a great wine and impresses me as much as the '06 on release. 95+ points and long future.

2009 Sassicaia -- Nose is more complex than the Ornellaia -- incl. dried flowers, perfume, cedar -- but lacks the dark fruit intensity and also has some green tobacco unripeness I've detected on a few other vintages over the past decade. It's more approachable than the Ornellaia but won't be as impressive 10-15 yrs from now. The lack of palate intensity, length, and distinctly verdant qualities disqualify this from purchase consideration for me. Not to mention the price.

2010 Beaucastel CdP -- Beautiful nose that's the antithesis of a Grenache bomb. Red licorice, cherry sauce, rose hips, lavender and wood spice on the nose. Beautiful, graceful mid-weight wine. Great structure and long, balanced finish. Didn't get alcohol burn. Tannins are mouth coating right now. Drinking window likely 2022-2027. Don't think it will be as long lived or rich as the '01 or '05 but it is a very pretty, classically proportioned CdP. 93 pts and recommended.

Haven't bitten on the Ornellaia yet. But it's likely. Oh wallet.

Posts: 748 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Mar 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This release hurt.

Posts: 1558 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy:
Quick thoughts via the Oakville tasting bar...

2009 Ornellaia -- Rich blackberry & bramble nose. Entirely primary. Silky smooth. Perfectly integrated tannins. Great structure; allows the elements to come together without calling attention to itself. Rich midpalate (previous vintage was very hollow) and lengthy minute-long finish. This will be a great wine and impresses me as much as the '06 on release. 95+ points and long future.

2009 Sassicaia -- Nose is more complex than the Ornellaia -- incl. dried flowers, perfume, cedar -- but lacks the dark fruit intensity and also has some green tobacco unripeness I've detected on a few other vintages over the past decade. It's more approachable than the Ornellaia but won't be as impressive 10-15 yrs from now. The lack of palate intensity, length, and distinctly verdant qualities disqualify this from purchase consideration for me. Not to mention the price.

2010 Beaucastel CdP -- Beautiful nose that's the antithesis of a Grenache bomb. Red licorice, cherry sauce, rose hips, lavender and wood spice on the nose. Beautiful, graceful mid-weight wine. Great structure and long, balanced finish. Didn't get alcohol burn. Tannins are mouth coating right now. Drinking window likely 2022-2027. Don't think it will be as long lived or rich as the '01 or '05 but it is a very pretty, classically proportioned CdP. 93 pts and recommended.

Haven't bitten on the Ornellaia yet. But it's likely. Oh wallet.

Thanks for posting the notes Darcy. Hard to resist biting on the Ornellaia.

Posts: 1790 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post