WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    2012 Monte Bello
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2012 Monte Bello
 Login/Join 
posted
Just received my reminder email about Monte Bello futures. I noticed that they are not allowing folks to increase their allocations and have heard numerous rumors about why. Does anyone in the SCMs have any intel or thoughts on 2012 Monte Bello?

Thanks!

G

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the wording: "Due to limited production, allocation increases will not be accepted with this vintage."

Their assemblage process selects lots for quality and typicity, so harvest volume and what makes the cut for Monte Bello are two different things. The other factor, I suppose, is distribution commitments they need to honor, as well as having enough to sell at the winery and to hold in the library.

Depending how futures sales go, I wouldn't be surprised if they let people up their allocation late in the window, in May. It looks like they are accepting new members, so they've allocated a certain amount to that.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in, one of the few classic Cabernets left.

Posts: 1566 | Registered: Nov 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomtom:
I'm in, one of the few classic Cabernets left.

+1

All in as well.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got off the Monte Bello list this year. Love the wines, but I have enough Bordeaux style wines in the cellar to last me a long time. Plus I'm finding I reach for a cab based wine less often these days.

Posts: 6562 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
I got off the Monte Bello list this year. Love the wines, but I have enough Bordeaux style wines in the cellar to last me a long time. Plus I'm finding I reach for a cab based wine less often these days.

why is that?

my personal reason is that all my cab is just too young to drink, but I certainly look forward to the day where I can just randomly pull out a whole slew of 15-20 yr old cabs on a random night.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12384 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mainly due to diet changes. We are simply cooking a lot more fish, chicken and veggie dishes these days vs lamb and beef like we used to. That said, I'm also looking forward to pulling my Bordeaux wines when they are ready as well.

Posts: 6562 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Mainly due to diet changes. We are simply cooking a lot more fish, chicken and veggie dishes these days vs lamb and beef like we used to. That said, I'm also looking forward to pulling my Bordeaux wines when they are ready as well.

funny you mention that as we're doing the same in my household.

I've rediscovered white port as a compliment to seafood. Big Grin

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12384 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What does this wine cost to people on the list?

It currently sells for $155 here. Ack

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6144 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2012 Monte Bello Futures Pricing
375ml - $50
750ml - $95
1.5L - $193
3L - $460
6L - $920

Allocation limit:
12 - 750 mL bottles, or the equivalent volume (9L)

"Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man"

Posts: 58 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If any forum members have future allocations or recent purchases they would be willing to share, please let me know.

I don't have any Monte Bello in my cellar and I'd like to add some, but not at the price I would have to pay locally.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6144 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just sign up

min order is 6 btls

i dont think there's a wait list.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
just sign up

min order is 6 btls

i dont think there's a wait list.

I just signed up today, but it didn't say anything about a 6 bottle minimum. It actually let you choose a 2 or 4 bottle order, so I chose 4. I haven't heard back from them, though.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh they changed it i guess

looks like you're gonna get the other bottlings now with it too.

when i signed up it was either 6 or a multiple of 6

and you get every year.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
oh they changed it i guess

looks like you're gonna get the other bottlings now with it too.

when i signed up it was either 6 or a multiple of 6

and you get every year.

I thought I had to get the Estate bottlings, too, but you can sign up without choosing those as well. So, it seems pretty flexible. I guess I ended up with 6 equivalent anyway since I added a mag.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post