WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Sediment on young pinot noir-Flaw?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sediment on young pinot noir-Flaw?
 Login/Join 
posted
I opened today a bottle of a 2009 Oregon Pinot Noir. I am reserving the winery name but it is a WV appellation that retails for around $20. There was excessive sediment (in my opinion) totaling about 1/2 a tablespoon. The wine was not bad,a bit tart but it was enjoyable. Nevertheless the excessive sediment caught my attention. I understand unfiltered wines and the desire to have little to no manipulation, but for the winemakers out there and knowledgeable forumites, is this common? Or Is this a winemaking flaw? Anybody else have experience with significant sediment on such a young pinot noir?

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1630 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had lots of sediment in a young CA Pinot. One in particular I can recall -- that bottle was excellent.

Not necessarily a sign of a flaw.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7645 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you're fine. not a flaw. if the wine isn't fined, filtered, etc., it's gonna throw more sediment. totally normal.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:

I am reserving the winery name but it is a WV

Why? Confused

The more information, the better forum members may give specific details.

Posts: 30201 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

I am reserving the winery name but it is a WV

Why? Confused

The more information, the better forum members may give specific details.

I don't know, don't want to "flame" the winery in case it is poor winemaking. In any case, it is Lange. There was a lot of "crusty" like sediment (as opposed to fine sediment). I have a few of the same year reserve and I wonder if I'll experience the same. Just weird on such a young pinot.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1630 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been my experience, at least with New World wines, that they tend to throw most of their sediment in the first year or two, and you don't get much additional sediment over time.

My vote: definitely not a flaw

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3156 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dont drink port if you don't like sediment,

you could probably roll a few torpedo sized cigars with the amount of sediment you'd get from a young one.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12279 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not that i can't stand sediment but it was unexpected. The winery perhaps would benefit by putting "unfiltered and unfined" in the label. The wine was enjoyable. My question was more curiosity.

posted Hide Post
IMO, there should be even more wines with sediment. There's no good reason really to do enough fining and filtering to the extent that it would remove sediment. The only reason for a lot of that stuff, even stabilization, is because the consumer public doesn't understand or tolerate sediment, tartrate crystals, etc. in their wine. It's too bad though, because there's a lot more that gets removed than just sediment.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Aug 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is not that i can't stand sediment but it was unexpected. The winery perhaps would benefit by putting "unfiltered and unfined" in the label. The wine was enjoyable. My question was more curiosity.

kistler chards throw sediment.

dunno i think it's really one of those does it really matter scenarios if the wine taste good?

There have been wines where i've seen them go under heat dmg where the sediment really clumps and the wine is brown. But hopefully that's not hte case

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12279 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post